• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flying with cooler

Rokslide.com will have 50 threads on this and will have good advice.

Duct tape and they will put 2-3 tags on it.

I also write my info on it with a Sharpie, like a luggage tag.

The red cooler has made that trip many times.

AF9B4C87-7DC8-4CC9-96BE-2FFE46FBB6BE.jpeg

Reactions: Baron23
Seems like you’d pay more in baggage fees than a new cooler would cost at your destination.

Depends.

I was gonna have a checked bag anyways.
So I filled it with a small duffel and the goods I needed to check.
And fish boxes are $25 each and hold the same.

Otherwise yes, its not a good choice.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
Ive flown around the world with them. You taking stuff in it or just to bring stuff back.
Things to keep in mind:

1. No ice - only dry ice. 4lbs of dry ice has kept my coolers frozen for a 40hr flight to India.
2. Make sure you leave a drain plug cracked with dry ice to give it a place to off gas.
3. Wrap dry ice in brown grocery sacks to help keep it from "burning" stuff.

Reactions: Redheeler
I have several large moving boxes from Lowes. Cut some foam sheets to insulate them and fill them with 46# of frozen solid meat. They’ve been back and forth to my parents house a hundred times filled with beef, deer, fish, empty, clothes, toys, you name it. They meet the US airlines maximum dimensions for standard luggage. They fly free on Southwest. If the boxes get too beat up I just get new cardboard and reuse the foam. The meat is always frozen solid when we get it home still. They even misplaced 2 of them full of beef last summer flying through Arizona and they made it in on a later flight the same day as my wife and were fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I have. Flew back from WY to Ohio with coolers full of meat. Watch the weight (most airlines limit at 50 pounds before the start to upcharge you, watch the size (each airline has a size limit before they start to upcharge you), If you are flying back with frozen goods-dry Ice is the solution BUT your cooler needs to vent AND the airline will most likely charge you extra because of the dry ice.
My solution to the dry ice issue was was pre-freezing the deer meat in layers inside of the cooler. (My buddy had a nice deep chest freezer I put the cooler with the meat inside of). I used a ratchet strap around the cooler to secure the lid. The thermal mass of all the frozen meat inside the cooler kept the meat froze until I got back home.