• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flying with Guns.

Re: Flying with Guns.

I like it! Good info man. I've been saving a collection of stickers for when I buy my case. I like your philosophy on that.

11 pounds of ammo. Also for anyone who hasn't flown with a rifle it's actually a pretty simple process. Don't sweat it. Good write up helps you think about things but although it might be your first time it's not the airline personells and they know what to do most of the time
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">11 pounds of ammo.</div></div>Does that include the container: could I argue that the ammo weight itself is only ten pounds?
grin.gif

LW, go look at most any airline's site and it lists 11 pounds as the max for ammo.

Very good article for the first time flier with firearms!

I have had TSA break more items and do more stupid things than I would have thought possible.
* Spotting scope was repacked so muzzle went through it.
* M4 uppers were repacked so EOTechs were damaged.
* Told I couldn't watch them inspect.
* Told not to lock case and they would cut the lock if it needed inspection - explained cutting the locks in my view would be a VERY poor choice on their end...
* Told loaded magazines were not allowed in magazine pouches.
* Told that 5.56 on stripper clips and in boxes was not suitable packaging.
* Told the plastic boxes for reloaded ammuniton was not allowed.
*** ALL the above were resolved as soon as a supervisor was called.

Those are just a few highlights, but the main thing is to know a few simple facts
Declare the unloaded firearms before the airline tags anything.
Lock the case with YOUR lock that only YOU can open.
If they need to inspect, ask to watch to insure proper repack.
Ask for the supervisor if someone does not comply.

Mike

With respect to disguising the gun case a little, these are fabulous.

http://www.securegolftravel.com/hard-sided-cases

Most of them have plenty of room for you to put a gun packed in a good soft case or drag bag, ammo, and gear along with some clothing. One additional carry on and you are good to go. Several three gunners are able to get shotgun, rifle, and handgun as well as equipment into one case. Also when people ask you how you shot, they have no clue that you actually "shot".

The case is a personal choice, but ask any airport employee how upset they are when golf clubs "go missing".

Then ask them what happens when a rifle "goes missing".

Which do you think gets an airport locked down faster?

The baggage thieves know this as well. They also know they can sell a set of stolen golf clubs a hell of a lot faster than stolen rifles.

If you need a cover story, I can see it. If not, then let it be known it's a rifle.

An unneeded write up.

Flying with firearms is as simple as flying with regular luggage. Just apply a little common sense to it.

I like how the kid with dreds and gold teeth was automatically assumed to be a thief.

Give me a break.

Really dude, some other guy had a rifle go missing and now you'll never fly with a firearm checked??

Makes about as much sense as all the morons that won't fly because of 9/11. More room for my ass.

Disguising the gun case? Don't make yourself out to be all high speed and you won't have a problem.

Pelican 1750, padlocks, end of story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like how the kid with dreds and gold teeth was automatically assumed to be a thief. </div></div>

It's called "levity" if it didn't come across that way, I apologize.

i had a flight form spokane wa to san jose cali from and in san jose they hand delivered my rifle too meand in spokane wa they took the rifle from me straight to the plane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An unneeded write up.

Flying with firearms is as simple as flying with regular luggage. Just apply a little common sense to it.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Agreed</span>

Disguising the gun case? Don't make yourself out to be all high speed and you won't have a problem. '

<span style="color: #FF0000">I don't look all "high speed" as you put it. And I prefer my luggage to look equally un "high speed". The idea downplay the contents of my luggage did not magically come to me in a dream, it came from experience and the experience of many others who travel with weapons for a living. That is not to say that for the most part luggage will be fine, but I am going to spend $100-200 dollars on a case why not choose one that offers the same security, more room, and an increase in obscurity?</span>

</div></div>

Great write up. I have never flown with my firearms, but if I do someday this is a great resource.

Lonewolf the above post was directed at hired assassins comments not at your article. My intent in my initial post was not to be arguementative but to offer more options and ideas, sorry you felt I was pissin on your article but that was not what was put forth.

However in response to the statement over golf concerning how the airlines will treat golf clubs vs. guns when they are missing, it is irrelevant. I still must declare my guns so whether or not airlines decide to be proactive in their search is still based on the contents being guns.

The decision to be somewhat obscure does not only apply to the airport portion of flying with the weapons. One must still be dragging the case to car rental, hotel parking, hotel lobby etc and sometimes it is very nice for any casual observers to see a golf club bag. As a bonus the golf club case offers significantly more room for all the things we tend to travel with.

I like the article. It reflects many of the same expriences I have had flying with guns. Not only domestic but international as well. Many good suggestions and ideas to use and be aware of. you may surmise from some of the posts that some people would rather pick apart some other persons article that try to get some useful information from it. Damn good job LoneWolf.
Guther

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
However in response to the statement over golf concerning how the airlines will treat golf clubs vs. guns when they are missing, it is irrelevant. I still must declare my guns so whether or not airlines decide to be proactive in their search is still based on the contents being guns. </div></div>

Here is the thing. You have to look at it from the thief's point of view. As a baggage handler/thief you know that if you steal someone's golf clubs, no one but the owner is really going to care. However you have also been trained about special handling for firearms. You know that if one of those comes up missing a supervisor and the cops are going to be knee deep in your business looking for it. What are you more likely to steal? The street price for stolen clubs is a lot more than for a stolen rifle.

You see you can offload stolen golf clubs in a gagillion different ways and make some coin. A stolen rifle (especially a bolt gun) really isn't worth that much to criminals, and they are the only ones dumb enough to buy stolen guns.

In the last few years there have been a couple of gun specific theft rings at airports. I know for sure at O'hare and St. Louis. So apparently the theory that getting in trouble will deter theft has some limitations. For every thief that would be motivated not to steal it there is obviously some who would take the risk. As to the street value of stolen weapons, it seems there is always a pretty brisk market for them.

And again. regardless of the ease to move stolen golf clubs or stolen yachts, I am pretty sure the thief will open the case before leaving the airport property, for the exact reasons you specify, it does not behoove them to steal something they can't move. Most stolen items at the airport do not leave in the luggage they were checked in. Time and again the luggage and its non valuable contents are found on aiport property.

Again, while traveling with guns, the airport is not the only time that not advertising the contents of your luggage may be advantageous.

Again, again, my intent was not to nitpick your article, it was to further add options for those reading the post to think about.

Guther, feel free to stop when you get to LW's ballsack.
wink.gif

No problem. I just figure discussion is part of the perks of a forum.

I will never get to a point that I think I know it all. I am always open to what others have to say. Doesn't mean I have to agree with you or you with I.

Advertising while coming from or going to, is not an issue for me. Up until the point I have to check my case I am armed and when I recover my case, it's usually not more than fifteen minutes before I can re-arm. It's one of the few perks that comes from dealing with human trash on a regular basis.

Guns are NOT immune to theft. But I just don't feel that "disguising them" as something else of value has much merit. If you want to disguise it as something that no one would want, that would be ideal.

If someone wants to use a hard golf bag case for their guns, it's a viable option. Just not one that I would use.

Understood and I agree, and all in all I thought our discussion was pretty good, sans the spectators throwing peanuts
laugh.gif

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that anyone of us may not notice a fellow shooter with a "gun case" regardless of its shape, and my intent is not to be 007 sneaky. However if a hotel clerk, cabbie, maid etc thinks I am just hotel guest that brought his clubs then that never hurts. Most people tend to see exactly what you present to them so I try to only present what I have to and keep the rest to me. Truth be told the extra room is very nice in the bag.

Good idea about marking the case as well. My case is spray paint stenciled in letters about an inch or so tall with my full name, address and phone. Tags can come off but that won't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Understood and I agree, and all in all I thought our discussion was pretty good, sans the spectators throwing peanuts
laugh.gif

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that anyone of us may not notice a fellow shooter with a "gun case" regardless of its shape, and my intent is not to be 007 sneaky. However if a hotel clerk, cabbie, maid etc thinks I am just hotel guest that brought his clubs then that never hurts. Most people tend to see exactly what you present to them so I try to only present what I have to and keep the rest to me. Truth be told the extra room is very nice in the bag. </div></div>

If you had a pelican 1750 and asked 50 random people whats in the case I wonder how many would guess it's a firearm. (Well besides a case with 50 cool guy stickers on the outside of it)

Most people are sheep without a clue. Just because people like us would guess that first doesn't mean anyone else will.

Some here feel the need for more discreet cases because they think everyone knows whats in there. I say most of the public are retards and don't have a clue anyhow.

So you cant diagree with and or appreciate someones experience and work to help the forum out. Calling another forum member a ball licker is a little harsh. So fuck you Smokshwn. I guess some folks are just that way. God bless America!!! At least we are free to say what we want!!

Guther

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guther</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you cant diagree with and or appreciate someones experience and work to help the forum out. Calling another forum member a ball licker is a little harsh. So fuck you Smokshwn. I guess some folks are just that way. God bless America!!! At least we are free to say what we want!!

Guther </div></div>

Your reading comprehension sucks! I didn't call you a ball licker, I indicated you were a cocksucker. My advice was to stop before getting to the balls. But nice try
wink.gif

This sure went downhill fast. It seems to have gone from a couple of members trying to offer helpful suggestions to name calling and other accusations...Zowie!

Thanks for the article.
Ref GOLF...once they start stocking the holes with prairie dogs and let me use a rifle I'll be interested. Till then its a waste land that could be hunted or make a really nice range.