• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns FN FNX-45 Tactical

Saclee Rhino

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2019
Looking to get a full size pistol with the capability to mount a Light, Suppressor and Red Dot Sight using the Surefire Masterfire Rapid Deploy Holster.

I was looking at the FN FNX-45 Tactical but was wondering if anyone has used one and what they think of it.

Also looking for other Pistol Suggestions.

Mainly looking for above 15 round capacity or higher.

Not too worried about caliber but mainly looking at 9mm, 45ACP and 10mm.

Heads up I dont like Glocks, just dont like the feel in the hand.

I have the predecessor.... FNP-45T. Love it. What's not to love about 15+1 rounds of .45-ACP goodness?

It's a fun "beast" of a gun and a worthy "bump in the night" defense weapon. I put an RMR (RM-07) on mine.

Reactions: Saclee Rhino
I have the predecessor.... FNP-45T. Love it. What's not to love about 15+1 rounds of .45-ACP goodness?

It's a fun "beast" of a gun and a worthy "bump in the night" defense weapon. I put an RMR (RM-07) on mine.

Yeah is was thinking of going with a Trijicon RMR RM06-C (the Coyote Brown one), Surefire XH35 and a SIG SRD45 Suppressor (Probably going to Cerkote Suppressor to match)

I was thinking of the FN 509 Tactical aswell, but I am a big fan of External Hammers...

Yeah is was thinking of going with a Trijicon RMR RM06-C (the Coyote Brown one), Surefire XH35 and a SIG SRD45 Suppressor (Probably going to Cerkote Suppressor to match)

Go for it! I still haven't done the suppressor thing. A part of me wants to do it. Another part of me doesn't want to deal with the NFA hassle.

FNP-45T.jpg

I didn't know we could! :) Is there something better? I have no complaints, especially in "single-action."
Mine is bone stock, except for the add-ons.

I was just wondering if it would need to go to a gunsmith to lighten up the DA a little bit and make the SA around 3lbs and make sure there is no creep and make it all nice and crisp.

I was just wondering if it would need to go to a gunsmith to lighten up the DA a little bit and make the SA around 3lbs and make sure there is no creep and make it all nice and crisp.

Ah... I see. I admit that I'm not picky or knowledgeable enough to really know if it's a "bad" trigger. I've got all different kinds of guns with different triggers.... don't seem to bother me. Same with "grip angle" (Glock vs the rest)... just doesn't seem to matter to me. Maybe if I was a better shooter? ;)

Ah... I see. I admit that I'm not picky or knowledgeable enough to really know if it's a "bad" trigger. I've got all different kinds of guns with different triggers.... don't seem to bother me. Same with "grip angle" (Glock vs the rest)... just doesn't seem to matter to me. Maybe if I was a better shooter? ;)

Everyone is different, I personally like to have my firearms tailored to what feels right for me so it's more of an extension of me rather than put up with something that's just not quite right for me. Have not felt what the trigger is like but the grip angle looks good. My concern is that my hands are not what you call big and the gun is a double stack 45 ??. Looks similar to a 1911 grip angle and I love those.

Have the exact setup you seek... be careful what you seek as well. All put together Loaded = a Heavy sumabitch !
Rotate back and forth with a Ti-Rant and Osprey. And 15 rounds is the max I ever seen from the factory on capacity...

Everyone is different, I personally like to have my firearms tailored to what feels right for me so it's more of an extension of me rather than put up with something that's just not quite right for me. Have not felt what the trigger is like but the grip angle looks good. My concern is that my hands are not what you call big and the gun is a double stack 45 ??. Looks similar to a 1911 grip angle and I love those.

My hands aren't big, either. I wear a "medium" glove. The FNP/FNX-45T is a BEAST of a gun. But, I don't have any problems shooting it. I did do one modification to the grip, though. I find the FNH grip textures rather aggressive on my skin. I get red "hot spots" after extended range sessions. So, I applied the rubberized Talon Grip on it. Much better!

I have a FN FNX-45 Tactical with an Osprey can. It is a blast to shoot, surprisingly accurate, and reliable. However it is a large gun specially with the can. For me it is mostly a range toy, it seems to unwieldy for much else.

Sig makes some RMR capable threaded models, might have a P226 like that. Not sure about capacity, but if you're willing to take a big hit on it the HK45T is supposed to be great suppressed. Beretta 92 is also an option if you can do without an RMR, full sizes will cycle some lighter weight cans without a booster and have great capacity.

I have an FNX-45 tactical with a trijicon RMR and surefire light and it’s definitely a fun gun to shoot and a crowd favorite. If budget isn’t an issue I would recommend an STI 2011 host 5.0 in either 9mm or 45. I have one in .45 with an RMR and Surefire light on it and it’s my favorite 45 to shoot. Definitely wouldn't carry it for a hike but I wouldn’t take the FNX either. It’s a great nightstand gun or range gun and best of all it has a 2011 trigger

Attachments

• 77E3C37D-6A44-48AE-A3D4-7D5C7558DC1A.jpeg
    77E3C37D-6A44-48AE-A3D4-7D5C7558DC1A.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 191
  • BE445106-1996-447D-BDB1-0376BA900D9F.jpeg
    BE445106-1996-447D-BDB1-0376BA900D9F.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
You won't regret, they are awesome. Run mine with an Obsidian 45 and it is very soft, smooth shooting. My buddy ran through the 3 full mags and didn't realize it was a 45 until after he started to reload the mags. I have smallish hands, wear a medium glove, and have no issues with the grip. Trigger isn't great in DA, but I have felt worse. SA is fine, once again, not great but not terrible at all. Highly accurate, especially with a red dot on it. Can hit a 10" plate at 100 yds with boring consistency.

Own it, love it, wouldn't change a thing about it. I run federal LE HST +P and it shoots to exact point of aim at 25. I worked for Virgil Tripp (Tripp Research) for a few years in the mid 2000s building 1911s among other things and the FNX 45 has more or less replaced a very nice 1911 that I built for myself as my primary full size. 15+1 from an accurate, comfortable, soft shooting 45 is impossible to argue with IMO

Only thing I am not a fan of is where the decoker/saftey sits in my grip. I shoot and carry a few sig 229s and I am used to both thumbs being under the decocker in my grip and it took awhile to get used to my thumb riding next to the decoker on the fnx45tac. Other than that it is probably my fav 45 to shoot suppressed.

Only thing I am not a fan of is where the decoker/saftey sits in my grip. I shoot and carry a few sig 229s and I am used to both thumbs being under the decocker in my grip and it took awhile to get used to my thumb riding next to the decoker on the fnx45tac. Other than that it is probably my fav 45 to shoot suppressed.
Let the thumb ride on top of the safety where it belongs.

It is definitely a gun you have to train with if transitioning from another common flavor of sidearm. For me, transitioning from the 1911, I kept decocking under recoil. 500 rounds or so of timer training cured it. I carry cocked and locked normally, considered disabling the decocker but it was easy enough to train around. Thumb up top and outboard.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
Looking to get a full size pistol with the capability to mount a Light, Suppressor and Red Dot Sight using the Surefire Masterfire Rapid Deploy Holster.

I was looking at the FN FNX-45 Tactical but was wondering if anyone has used one and what they think of it.

I have an FNX Tac in 45 and live. Recoil is very manageable and fit and finish are very good. Mine has a Trijicon RMR 08 (big green triangle). I use the tip of the triangle as my aim point and it is very accurate. I use Hornady +P Critical Defense rounds and mine mine showed none of much talked about break in issues relative to the tight recoil spring.

Accurate, soft recoil, fun to shoot.
Absolutely shtf go to firearm.

Trigger, it's a tactical trigger, not a target trigger, you can get used to it.

I don't own a FNX Tactical but my good friend owns a FNP-45 tactical. I am fairly certain that the frame and grip are the same size. I would agree that it's a pretty substantial gun. I could shoot it but didn't fit it very comfortable. I have medium size hands.

Can't beat the FN 509 Tactical 9mm, smaller brother to the FNX 45! It has like a Glock 19x size to it, full-size grip, smaller than full-size slide. Comes with 2- 17 rounders and 2- 24 rounders, Threaded barrel, and one of the best factory milled multi-optic cuts on the market. I swapped my factory trigger out with an APEX, put an Inforce APLc light on that fits flush, if you want a light/laser go for the Streamlight TLR-8, I also got a Weapon Armament Research Compensator for when I'm not running a can and I'm carrying. Throw your favorite red dot up top and your money.

Can't beat the FN 509 Tactical 9mm, smaller brother to the FNX 45! It has like a Glock 19x size to it, full-size grip, smaller than full-size slide. Comes with 2- 17 rounders and 2- 24 rounders, Threaded barrel, and one of the best factory milled multi-optic cuts on the market. I swapped my factory trigger out with an APEX, put an Inforce APLc light on that fits flush, if you want a light/laser go for the Streamlight TLR-8, I also got a Weapon Armament Research Compensator for when I'm not running a can and I'm carrying. Throw your favorite red dot up top and your money.

Whats the swapped trigger like? Because I have heard the factory trigger is similar to a Glock trigger and I hate Glock triggers.

Whats the swapped trigger like? Because I have heard the factory trigger is similar to a Glock trigger and I hate Glock triggers.

The FN trigger is NOT like the Glock trigger. I personally don’t mind the FN factory trigger. It is a heavy pull weight on paper, but oddly doesn’t feel it in person. It has a pretty clean break and the reset is positive and tactile. Personally I prefer heavier triggers with clean breaks and short resets. The lighter the trigger the softer the reset springs back. After I break a shot, I want the spring to push that trigger back out hard and fast so that I can get my next shot off, when you can get it to push back it’s almost like a controlled bump fire. If you have a lot practice and good marksmanship, you can shoot really fast and accurate.

The trigger kit is by APEX Tactical Specialties, arguably the best in the game. It gets rid of the “hinge” style trigger (like the M&P) probably one of the worst type triggers. The APEX is a flat faced, which puts your finger at a better angle reducing the chance that you will pull the trigger in board, instead of straight and back. The APEX does have the middle flange like safety on a Glock, but it recesses entirely with ease when your finger is on the trigger, unlike glocks. Overall, it lessens the trigger weight, while providing a solid wall with clean break. I feel it shortens the reset slightly and maintains the tactile reset and pushes it back to the finger well.

You NEED to know what your doing on install as people have cracked their frames. The tiny pin in the front is a b***h to get out without proper tools and technique.

Not a big glock fan but they are a good firearm for someone else.
IMHO
The fn trigger :
Double stage 1/8 inch take up then a strong long pull, it does not creep or drag.
Single stage 1/4 inch take up then a short resonably light crisp release.

This is not like a fine worked over 1911, never will be.

That being said the features it touts all work well.

It is a badass .

I have not felt compelled to get an aftermarket trigger but might.
That is strange because most every firearm I own has an upgrade to the trigger

I have an FNX-45 tactical with a trijicon RMR and surefire light and it’s definitely a fun gun to shoot and a crowd favorite. If budget isn’t an issue I would recommend an STI 2011 host 5.0 in either 9mm or 45. I have one in .45 with an RMR and Surefire light on it and it’s my favorite 45 to shoot. Definitely would carry it for a hike but I wouldn’t take the FNX either. It’s a great nightstand gun or range gun and best of all it has a 2011 trigger

STI 2011s look mad!!!