• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SCAR 17S Accuracy - Hunting - First Shot

Panhead57

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2020
My oldest son has a SCAR 17S that he always wants to use when we hunt hogs a night. When we take it out target shooting, it starts out shooting about 1-1.25MOA but then starts opening up as the barrel heats. Since I am a firm believer that in hunting the most important shot is the first one, I took his rifle out the other day without him. First, I wanted to sight it in with some hunting ammo (Federal 165 grain GameKing BTSP) that would be more lethal on hogs than the 168 grain Federal match ammo we usually use, and secondly to see how it shoots each shot from a totally cool barrel.

I was very surprised by the 100 yard results, especially with a 3.5x ACOG scope.

Attachments

• SCAR Target.jpg
    SCAR Target.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 696
  • SCAR.jpg
    SCAR.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
My experience with the 17 is that it has a distinct preference for bullets in the 150gr range. The Palma loads do well in it. All of the 165-175gr bullets I put through mine turned in less satisfactory groups than plain old M80 ball.

It's not a true precision rifle, but it's a pretty excellent general purpose rifle.

My experience with the 17 is that it has a distinct preference for bullets in the 150gr range. The Palma loads do well in it. All of the 165-175gr bullets I put through mine turned in less satisfactory groups than plain old M80 ball.

It's not a true precision rifle, but it's a pretty excellent general purpose rifle.
Thanks for that info. We’ll try some 150gr and see how they shoot. They are probably more suited to the 1:12 twist.

This is true of my 17 as well. Likes 168 and 175gr fine but groups have always been better with 147s, (referring to my loads, not factory). Still not sure why, as 1/12 stabilizes 175s just fine at my 4800ft. elevation.

This is true of my 17 as well. Likes 168 and 175gr fine but groups have always been better with 147s, (referring to my loads, not factory). Still not sure why, as 1/12 stabilizes 175s just fine at my 4800ft. elevation.

Shit, am I glad to read this. I found a deal on a bunch of 155 AMAX and bought them to feed my 17 (and possibly my 20). I haven't gotten around to load development for either of them, but I have XBR 8208 and Varget. Any thoughts on which powder you think would run them best?

Shit, am I glad to read this. I found a deal on a bunch of 155 AMAX and bought them to feed my 17 (and possibly my 20). I haven't gotten around to load development for either of them, but I have XBR 8208 and Varget. Any thoughts on which powder you think would run them best?
Watch out for AMAX tips breaking in cooler weather...

Reactions: FALex