• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPR barrel chrome lining failing? photos

Shootnwrench

Iceman
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2020
Soldotna AK
This FN SPR is making me question my sanity. 20” Model A5M XP in .308win serial number in the 35,000 range. TBAC Ultra 7. Prone and rear bag.

1,100 rounds down the tube. Sometimes it shoots 3 or 5 rds decent (.5-75moa) but the next time out or even the next group maybe substantially larger/suck(1-1.75moa). 175smk Handloads or FGMM both do the same. Constantly chasing my tail.

Look like the chrome lining giving it up? Didn’t consider it at first because it will shoot at times but just seems inconsistent with big swings with the same load.

175SMK, 43.5 Varget, WLR, 2.805, 1x Lapua Brass.

Shots today with targets below
1 - 2585
2 - 2586
3 - 2594
4 - 2591
5 - 2580
6 - 2585
7 - 2596
8 - 2619 - your killing me smalls
9 - 2589
10 - 2587

2591fps AV
39 ES
10.8 SD

1st group today.
C73CB79F-019E-4630-BFFB-85319E4B61E1.jpeg

2nd group today after cooling 10mins - seems like it was .75moa gun on average when new.
FE0714F6-B021-402C-AB03-35C4B6F2F70F.jpeg

Shot a .286moa 3rd group at 43.3grains yesterday, today 1.553moa. 🤔

But the bore looks like this in front of the throat. Obviously not so much towards the muzzle.

C77EE972-0DE5-496B-8956-6B259CB30164.jpeg
7D0296B4-5A5C-4096-9759-8E6FABD7A438.jpeg
F5B3FE4D-6ABF-4686-9BCA-B14BDC0960CB.jpeg
E56F4D71-B86D-488A-B47D-A4E54CFC42F9.jpeg

I’ve read Frank Green’s comments about chrome lining giving it up and it going to shit when it does, just simple statistics that I get a good group once in awhile looking like this?

• Wow
Reactions: Baron23
It seems to me the rifle is telling you it needs a new barrel. I had a 308 barrel last 8000 rounds and didn't look that bad, but it was very inconsistent at the end of its life. I did shoot the best group out of that barrel before it gave up and started throwing shots.

Reactions: Shootnwrench
Agree. Barrel looks bad. I have not seen problems with FN or Colt chrome lining. Keep in mind that chrome lining takes away from accuracy, so on a good day, .75 MOA is good. I am used to seeing chrome lined barrels last 1,000s of rounds. Who knows. But, replacement is the answer.

These rifles are gold.

I have owned and shot a few of them. That load for a .308 is 100% legit. 🍻

I may offer, that the 1:12 twist is not entirely optimal in these rifles, for the 175s and the 168s and within 0.5gn of your current charge of Varget are much better in this particular rifle.

🤯If that barrel is “clean” and showing that much copper fouling, then it would seem that those are indeed, many “pits” and it’s prematurely fouling the barrel. 🧐

These will shoot boxes of match ammo into the bull with none out of the orange, sub .75in all day, when the lining is intact. 🎯

It’s funny that the A3G SPR is guaranteed to shoot sub .5 for 10K rounds!

best of good luck!

Reactions: linedrive301ft
Thanks for the input gentleman. Only recently got around to borescoping this thing, first time I’ve borescoped a chrome lined bore, wasn’t what I expected for sure. @Frank Green any thoughts?
These rifles are gold.

I have owned and shot a few of them. That load for a .308 is 100% legit. 🍻

I may offer, that the 1:12 twist is not entirely optimal in these rifles, for the 175s and the 168s and within 0.5gn of your current charge of Varget are much better in this particular rifle.

🤯If that barrel is “clean” and showing that much copper fouling, then it would seem that those are indeed, many “pits” and it’s prematurely fouling the barrel. 🧐
Agree, I still really love the rifle, just disappointed the “FN 10,000rd chrome lined barrel” is unpredictable @ 10% of that . If it was a barrel burner cartridge fine but .308 barrel life 🤔. This one is 1:10twist btw, the latter guns are.

Guess the question is if it’s going LRI or SAC.

Thanks for the input gentleman. Only recently got around to borescoping this thing, first time I’ve borescoped a chrome lined bore, wasn’t what I expected for sure. @Frank Green any thoughts?

Agree, I still really love the rifle, just disappointed the “FN 10,000rd chrome lined barrel” is unpredictable @ 10% of that . If it was a barrel burner cartridge fine but .308 barrel life 🤔. This one is 1:10twist btw, the latter guns are.

Guess the question is if it’s going LRI or SAC.
Chrome plating is chrome plating. Think of a chrome bumper on a car. Once the plating starts chipping/flaking you are not going to stop it.

Depending on the spec./requirement for chrome plating of the bore of a barrel...it could be as thin as less than a .001".

You also can have issues with it effecting bore uniformity. If the bore uniformity from end to end is compromised....this will also lead to accuracy issues.

I've gotten plenty of barrels back from accuracy testing in 308win. Our barrels. So far lowest round count has been like 99xx rounds. I've got barrels back and I cut them open (wire edm them in half) and use them as training tools with round counts of 11,xxx, 12,xxx, 13,xxx and the last one I have got 14,560 put thru it before it would no longer hold .5moa. 5000 rounds on that barrel had bullets that weighed over 200gr. That barrel was a 1-8 twist.

Our barrels get pulled mandatory at 10k rounds and the ammo maker told me (this is a different place) that our barrels are still shooting past 10k but they made that the mandatory time frame to pull the barrel as they know they are on borrowed time.

So what are you gaining by hard chrome plating the bore other than having another variable thrown into the equation?

Now this is accuracy testing of bullets primarily. If they have to load for a given pressure spec/ammo spec. then the barrel won't go that long as they are not allowed to bump/change powder charges to get velocity back etc... where as us hand loaders can chase the throat/bump the charge etc...to keep the gun in tune.

Later, Frank

This FN SPR is making me question my sanity. 20” Model A5M XP in .308win serial number in the 35,000 range. TBAC Ultra 7. Prone and rear bag.

1,100 rounds down the tube. Sometimes it shoots 3 or 5 rds decent (.5-75moa) but the next time out or even the next group maybe substantially larger/suck(1-1.75moa). 175smk Handloads or FGMM both do the same. Constantly chasing my tail.

Look like the chrome lining giving it up? Didn’t consider it at first because it will shoot at times but just seems inconsistent with big swings with the same load.

175SMK, 43.5 Varget, WLR, 2.805, 1x Lapua Brass.

Shots today with targets below
1 - 2585
2 - 2586
3 - 2594
4 - 2591
5 - 2580
6 - 2585
7 - 2596
8 - 2619 - your killing me smalls
9 - 2589
10 - 2587

2591fps AV
39 ES
10.8 SD

1st group today.
View attachment 7926038
2nd group today after cooling 10mins - seems like it was .75moa gun on average when new.
View attachment 7926039

Shot a .286moa 3rd group at 43.3grains yesterday, today 1.553moa. 🤔

But the bore looks like this in front of the throat. Obviously not so much towards the muzzle.

View attachment 7926054View attachment 7926055View attachment 7926056View attachment 7926057

I’ve read Frank Green’s comments about chrome lining giving it up and it going to shit when it does, just simple statistics that I get a good group once in awhile looking like this?
Just found this.

This has literally been exactly my experience.

Gun serial no is in the 35000s as well. It's all over the place. Some days it's 1 hole. Other days its 2 MOA.

Did you get a resolution from FN at all?

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.
Cheers

Carso

Just found this.

This has literally been exactly my experience.

Gun serial no is in the 35000s as well. It's all over the place. Some days it's 1 hole. Other days its 2 MOA.

Did you get a resolution from FN at all?

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.
Cheers

Carso

I don't remember the serial number range, but there were multiple barrels where this happened.

If you're willing to to get a good barrel out pocket and have a 'smith screw it on for you, it'll restore your love for the platform. I've had Matt Stewart do two FN SPR barrels in 6.5x47 for me and both hammer.

Reactions: Zigjib
A friend had bought an FN SPR that showed the same problems. Unfortunately for him, FN had sold a bunch of receivers to a company called US Palm which used crappy barrels and was not covered by FN. Some were good, but my friend's went bad. Hopefully it's not one of theirs.

Edit: Funny enough, heres a thread on their rifles.

Reactions: Zigjib
I don't remember the serial number range, but there were multiple barrels where this happened.

If you're willing to to get a good barrel out pocket and have a 'smith screw it on for you, it'll restore your love for the platform. I've had Matt Stewart do two FN SPR barrels in 6.5x47 for me and both hammer.
I certainly do like the gun, but i've been ripping my hair out trying to figure out why i suck so bad with it. Be nice to find out it's the gun not me, in a way.

I have a few issues with it at the moment;

Firing pin broke
The rubber on the cheek piece has disintegrated and is like a tacky jelly
plus the barrel.

But i think you're right. When i get a new firing pin and hopefully a new cheek piece, i'll get a new barrel spun up.

Cheers

Carso

Reactions: diggler1833