• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNC Owners?

idahoshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Idaho
We got any owners here. Found one locally and dont know a thing about them. Good, bad, run fast run far? Any input is appreciated.

Re: FNC Owners?

Not an owner but I thought about buying one a few years back and did a bit of research.

They're most popular as sear hosts since the FNC has the least expensive FA sear avaliable. Parts are hard to come by and I believe they're prone to breaking fireing pins but DS Arms sells replacements. FNCs with sears installed sell for less than $7000.

In unconverted form and good condition they usually sell for ~$3000 which only a collector or someone planning on doing the conversion could rationalize since if you just want a shooter a good AR or SCAR would serve your purposes for less cash.

Most people just know them as "The gun Al Pacino used in 'Heat'"

I own one. Shot the dickens out of it in the late 80's. Loved everything about it other than the typical military trigger pull. It shot extremely well, either with irons or with optic.

I took the proceeds from my first published article, and bought a Swarovski "Cobra" scope for it. It had a reticle nearly identical to that of the Steyr AUG. The FN STANAG mount was well designed, and your could attach or detach the optic quickly and count on little if any change of POI.

When California enacted its draconian "assault weapon" laws, I sent my FNC to a buddy in Colorado. He always liked that rifle, and I do hope he has enjoyed it, I know I did!

Cheers... Jim

My old boss had one and sold it to a guy for $3000 he gave my boss $1500 down and took the rifle home (they were friends not some joe blow off the street) the new owner died and the family sent the rifle to auction and it sold for $6000 and change. I quickly learned not to ask my boss about it.

Thanks for the input guys. Kinda tempting....fnc, or wait and find a dias. Decisions decisions....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My old boss had one and sold it to a guy for $3000 he gave my boss $1500 down and took the rifle home (they were friends not some joe blow off the street) the new owner died and the family sent the rifle to auction and it sold for $6000 and change. I quickly learned not to ask my boss about it. </div></div>
Wow, That would definitely be a record selling price for a semi auto fnc!

I own a semi auto FNC and have for quite a time. It takes most AR-15 mags, but can be picky about certain mags. Factory spare parts are expensive and not easy to get. The good part is that Storwwerkz makes a picatinny rail for the top and an stock adaptor that lets you get rid of the not so great for cheek weld factory stocks and use any aftermarket AR stock. I have a UBR on mine and a Comp M4 with a 3x magnifier on the picatinny rail. Green Mountain also made a run of spare barrels for these rifles. The original twist rate favors the 52-55 grain bullets. Mine runs like a top with 55 grain ammo. There is a good FNC section on UZI talk.

I just sold one that I had for years. Never had any problems out of it but just did not shoot it that much. The spare parts availability was the only problem I had.

The prices have come down a little, more like $2500 or less if you shop around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThrottleJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My old boss had one and sold it to a guy for $3000 he gave my boss $1500 down and took the rifle home (they were friends not some joe blow off the street) the new owner died and the family sent the rifle to auction and it sold for $6000 and change. I quickly learned not to ask my boss about it. </div></div>
Wow, That would definitely be a record selling price for a semi auto fnc! </div></div>

Actually, there are more FNC auto-sears out there than there are FNC host guns. You can buy a registered FNC sear for about $2-2.5K, but the host guns will cost you more, as pointed out. When the cache of FNC sears was released a few years back, it drove the demand for semi-auto FNC's through the roof and to see one selling for $6K was actually *normal*. Of course, the conversion isn't "drop-in", you had to send the sear and rifle to one of a couple FNC smiths who could do the work. Cost was around $500-600 with quite a long time to get the work done (months).

After all that, I decided that an AC556 was a bit more appealing for a rifle-caliber in a MG, especially since Ruger still honored the lifetime warranty on them.

I had one. Shot around 1 moa consistently with 55 gr Military.
Very suprising for pencil barrel. Had a great scope mount for it.Very heavy for 223. no replacement parts, terrible trigger.

I have a friend who has a full auto one. It's a lot of fun to shoot!

I have a friend who has a couple of the sear guns. Fun, durable, accurate, but heavy for what they are. I much prefer the AR15/M16 system, both for usability and ease of customization to user taste. FNC, good if you want a different gun than everyone else, bad if your wants evolve at all. Better the AR for those of us that change our minds about what we want out of our rifles from time to time. JMO

S&H Arms is the go-to place for all of the F/A conversions. Curtis Higgins. I bought mine 18yrs ago brand new. $1700.00

Heavy for a .223 . Always functions and built like a tank . Worth the money , you should pick one up.

Bought one in the 80s for 700 bucks. Well made, heavy duty, terrible trigger, bolt does not lock back after the last round is fired, safety placement is not ergonomic. Very reliable and accurate.

I bought mine in like new condition from the Cabela's "fine gun room" for $2150 OTD(they had too many "black guns" and needed to make room)
I bought my sear for $2500 and sent everything to TBA for the conversion. I am extremely pleased with mine! I say buy it ASAP!

Fresh from Cabela's
abf04279.jpg

0454d87b.jpg

14 inch full auto conversion
ce3ae606.jpg

the only downfall with this platform is parts availability. especially barrels in a full auto application

great gun, I had one for several years and it never missed a beat, Still regret selling it to this day. I'll find another one eventually.
cheers.

I've had a few over the years, two of them recently plus a rare Swedish K5 upper with 1x7 twist barrel. Sold everything as a package since I needed the money for snow removal equipment. The one I owned a few years back, I ended up trading it with an HK-93 for a SIG550. I prefer the SIG over all the black rifles, maybe since it's green.

Always wanted one...fixed stock version available on gunbroker now with a reserve price, met, at $2,500.

I didn't even know that they were available in America. Looks like an incredible classic.

I owned one. It was a fine gun. Folding stock was absolutely solid. Completely reliable. Good ergos. Good sights. The automatic dust cover design is clever in how it is always closed even during operation. I also lucked out and found a discontinued ARMS rail for it.

In the end though I sold it. It was simply worth too much to have as a semi-auto shooter. The money can get you much better stuff, unless you are looking for a FA host of course.

Al Pacino and the movie HEAT, bank robbery scene. Just watch, will make you want one. I have one, good gun, but it is just for collectability, I go to my AR's or SCAR for normal shooting time. AR's are just very adaptable, as we all know.

Revising this old thread.

Anyone currently have one? I'm looking to get one this week or next. Anything that I should look out for? I signed up for the FAL Files forum, but my registration is in purgatory and hasn't been approved, so I can't post there.

Well, I bought a FNC today. Should have it shortly. I'm still trying to get my account approved at the fal files but it looks like no one is minding the store. Any other resources that I should look into?

S&H Arms, if still in business, Curtis specializes in FNC's and conversions of such. He's been doing it for decades, if anyone knows anything about 'em, it's him.

He makes a spooky quiet integral Mk2 also, FWIW, despite it being an old design.