• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns FNX-45 Tactical, is something wrong with them?

CalebFuller78

Private
Minuteman
Ok so I've been doing research for a new pistol since I sold my 1911 last year. I want a .45 acp but hate there limited capacity. When I came across the FNX-45 Tac I was like "WOW! High capacity and knock down power, plus a 1913 rail, threaded barrel, and red dot mount." Why wouldn't I want it right? Plus the price tag is close to most high end .45s. So what's wrong with it. I never see cops or military carrying them. I haven't seen anything about SOCOM or CRANE testing them. I know they're big, bulky, and heavy but do they jam a lot or something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have VERY limited aftermarket support (i.e. holsters, magazines, sights), they are a pretty large handgun, and in my experience owning an FNP 46 non-tactical, they aren't very reliable. The magazine interior length isn't long enough to feed 230 grain ball ammo from many manufacturers consistently.

Now, they are very comfortable an ergonomic, and with 185's they can be very accurate.

Personally, I'd get an HK45 tactical or USP 45 tactical.

I just picked up a S&W M&P 45 with the threaded barrel, and extra standard barrel. Not sure about a 45ACP, but they offer a CORE model that is set up from the factory for the RMR. Something to take a peak at, anyway. Your wallet will thank you! J

I've had one for a little over a year and run it with an RMR. Sometimes I will run it with an Osprey 45 attached, sometimes not. The thing has been dead reliable with everything I have fed it between factory loads and all of my reloads. It has only had 230 gr rounds put thru it and it keeps on rocking. Only thing I no longer do with it is shoot it wet when silenced, blows way too much shit back in my face and on the RMR, even with wire pulling gel.

I would plan to suppress any pistol I get. I'd like to not have to buy an extra barrel and higher sights, I'll look at the sig 227 and see if they have a "tactical" model. I usually translate tactical to mean "add 300 dollars".

They have VERY limited aftermarket support (i.e. holsters, magazines, sights), they are a pretty large handgun, and in my experience owning an FNP 46 non-tactical, they aren't very reliable. The magazine interior length isn't long enough to feed 230 grain ball ammo from many manufacturers consistently.

Now, they are very comfortable an ergonomic, and with 185's they can be very accurate.

I generally agree with the above post. They are big. Really big. As such, most feel they are very soft-shooting.

There are also known issues with some "American made" factory ammo not fitting in the mags.

Why? The truth is they made that pistol to a NATO standard. But not all ammo is equal. Especially in America. The concepts of "target" ammo and low-power charges caused some issues. But the truth is that is more a reflection of US bastardized ammo. Not the FNP.

I'm not totally up on all the model iteration from FN but I believe the magazine issue was found in the FNP-Tactical. I think the FNX is an update from that line with different dimensions. But I could very well be wrong.

The FNP-45 Tactical is a very interesting pistol when you realize why it was built. The US Army issued a RFP for a JSP (Joint Service Pistol) a few years ago. The yelling and bitching about the Beretta's finally got someone at DoD to look for a JSP replacement. The funny thing is, that RFP had too many chiefs and not enough indians. They started from the concept of 45 since that seemed to be the most pubic complaint about the M9. Then they went and added all the supposed "features" one would like in a MODERN 1911. Ambi-controls. DA/SA & Cocked & Locked. Polymer frame with strong checkering. Trigger-guard that accommodates gloves. And why we are at it, threaded barrel for suppressor options and RDS capable with BUIS factory standard. External hammer, etc. etc, etc.

I am sure I am forgetting some things since I haven't seen the RFP for a while. But...FNH basically said, "OK. Let's give the Americans what they want". So they built the FNP-45 Tactical. My memory fails me, but the RDS might not have been on the list. And there might have been a grip-safety option in the RFP.

Regardless...what you get is a pistol that is a Frankenstein. Features from a 100 year old design that Looks good on paper, but in reality isn't practical for service use.

What ultimately killed the JSP project was when certain SME's from various Army units were asked for their input. Those groups indicated they liked a different platform and a different caliber.

That (plus money) killed the program. The project managers realized the specs of the RFP weren't really what was wanted by the experts, which equals asses hanging in breezes. The program was shutdown with the commentary, "We (The Army) are a rifle service. Let someone else select a JSP".

My only advice on getting one would be to buy a F-ton of mags. Just incase it gets shut-down by FN. Which it will one day.

What would save the mags from disappearing would be if FNH comes out with a FN-45 that is striker-fired using the same mags. I can't recall if they have or not.

I'm not even sure if the FNP-45 will fit in IDPA / USPSA size boxes. I think it does not.

TTR

Reactions: Nosaj Yedleknif
I generally agree with the above post. They are big. Really big. As such, most feel they are very soft-shooting.

There are also known issues with some "American made" factory ammo not fitting in the mags.

Why? The truth is they made that pistol to a NATO standard. But not all ammo is equal. Especially in America. The concepts of "target" ammo and low-power charges caused some issues. But the truth is that is more a reflection of US bastardized ammo. Not the FNP.

I'm not totally up on all the model iteration from FN but I believe the magazine issue was found in the FNP-Tactical. I think the FNX is an update from that line with different dimensions. But I could very well be wrong.

The FNP-45 Tactical is a very interesting pistol when you realize why it was built. The US Army issued a RFP for a JSP (Joint Service Pistol) a few years ago. The yelling and bitching about the Beretta's finally got someone at DoD to look for a JSP replacement. The funny thing is, that RFP had too many chiefs and not enough indians. They started from the concept of 45 since that seemed to be the most pubic complaint about the M9. Then they went and added all the supposed "features" one would like in a MODERN 1911. Ambi-controls. DA/SA & Cocked & Locked. Polymer frame with strong checkering. Trigger-guard that accommodates gloves. And why we are at it, threaded barrel for suppressor options and RDS capable with BUIS factory standard. External hammer, etc. etc, etc.

I am sure I am forgetting some things since I haven't seen the RFP for a while. But...FNH basically said, "OK. Let's give the Americans what they want". So they built the FNP-45 Tactical. My memory fails me, but the RDS might not have been on the list. And there might have been a grip-safety option in the RFP.

Regardless...what you get is a pistol that is a Frankenstein. Features from a 100 year old design that Looks good on paper, but in reality isn't practical for service use.

What ultimately killed the JSP project was when certain SME's from various Army units were asked for their input. Those groups indicated they liked a different platform and a different caliber.

That (plus money) killed the program. The project managers realized the specs of the RFP weren't really what was wanted by the experts, which equals asses hanging in breezes. The program was shutdown with the commentary, "We (The Army) are a rifle service. Let someone else select a JSP".

My only advice on getting one would be to buy a F-ton of mags. Just incase it gets shut-down by FN. Which it will one day.

What would save the mags from disappearing would be if FNH comes out with a FN-45 that is striker-fired using the same mags. I can't recall if they have or not.

I'm not even sure if the FNP-45 will fit in IDPA / USPSA size boxes. I think it does not.

TTR

Some good points here. But please allow me to assist as I have the FNP-45.

It has never jammed on me, ever. I have used various ammo, including the dreaded "Winchester White Box". However, since I mostly reload, it has never been a problem there either. The problem arose from that certain ammo manufacturers' rounds in 45 ACP were too long. So they would get jammed in the magazine. The FNX-45 resolved this issue. The magazines between the FNP and the FNX to not work with each other.

Yes, it does fit in a USPSA/IDPA size box. I confirmed this via my 3Gun competitions and a USPSA match last year.

The handgun is quite large, so it is rare you would ever see someone "carry" it. I love it because the recoil is so easy to control and it is quite accurate.The grip is also large, which fits my large hands. (In fact, my hands are rated at X-large per glove manufacturers). It just feels really good in my hands.

I have read of some exploding, jamming, failure to feed, etc. You see that in almost any pistol, even the HK USP. In my experience, the handgun is well made and "works" for me. I will be using it at the next Sniper's Hide Cup. If anyone wants to try it out, let me know via PM and I will be sure to meet up with you at one point.

Okay, I'm not saying the design is bad or flawed, and I've heard and I hope that they have fixed it with the FNX-45.

After I'd owned my pistol for 4-5 months I called in to see what FN had to say about it. I may have caught the guy who was sick of getting calls about that gun, or maybe the guy I got had a bad day, week, whatever, but he said that I needed to try different ammo. I explained that I'd shot literally every brand and type of .45 230 grain FMJ I could find, including AE, WW, bulk my friend had, Mag Tech, Federal Champion, Remington UMC, and others I can't recall right now, and they all did the same thing. It was "good" to get 10 consecutive rounds to feed and fire. At that point he said I could ship it back to them, on my own dime, to have it looked at, and that they may or may not be able to get it running well. That left me a bit unenthused. This was not a cheap gun, and to have to pay to overnight ship it to have warranty work done on a chance that it might get fixed didn't sound too enticing. I have heard that FN's customer service is top notch, and I must have just had a one in one hundred bad experience with it, but I'd be willing to give it another shot on their other products if I every buy one.

I kept it for a few more months, about a year total., shooting mostly 185's. It shot well, but still failed to feed a round every 30 rounds or so. I took it to my LGS, explained what my problems were, and traded it for an M&P45 full size. That M&P, my Glock 30, my friend's Glock 21, another buddy's HK MK23, an HK 45 I rented, and the myriad of 1911's I'd shot from super cheap to a Les Baer never had the failure to feed because the round was physically too long for the ammo.

I tried to order a holster, mag pouch, magazine, and "trainer barrel" kit online. After 8 months of waiting, I cancelled the order because I still didn't have an eta on when the vendor was going to receive them.

I know you don't know me from Adam, and I'm just some civilian on the interwebs, so take all of the above with a grain of salt, but that was my experience. I'm not trying to cause a ruckus here.

I hope you find what you are looking for whether it be an FN or something else.

Best,
Justin

After hearing about all the jamming and unreliability I may just forget about a 45 and get a sig 226. I. Know those suckers 'll run. Nobody makes a good 1911 that is worth the price, I'm not paying more than 1000 max. They're only that much because they are popular lately let's face it a. 8+1 1911 isn't a 3000 dollar pistol. No pistol is.

Lol, the reason why there is no such thing as a cheap well built 1911 is a function of the design of the pistol and the amount of fitting there is required to properly build one. High dollar 1911's have been around for a long time and are not going anywhere anytime soon. To you a well built 1911 may not be worth 3k, but to an avid pistol shooter, a properly made and hand fitted 1911 is certainly worth it.

A sig 226 is also a good gun, carried one for work for a while. Only issue is that like most companies, Sig has cut a few corners as of late during their production. Some changes have been good, some are questionable at best. It is the only firearm I have regretted selling so far.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the FNX-45 if it fits your needs. I have met plenty of others who run theirs hard as well and have no issues. If you're looking for a larger framed 45 pistol, the USP and FNX are most definitely worthy of a look.

When a Hi Point .45 feeds and fires more ammo than the FNP its a problem.......

Even the FNX re-design had some magazine / slide stop geometry issues. Bottom line is issues in design or build.

FNX 45 Tactical mag problems and follower wear spots...anybody have these problems?

FN has limited availability of mags, parts and factory support in some cases ( mine anyway ).
LOTS of better choices available unless you love the FN.

If you get one that works that's great but for the limited numbers made ( compared to Glock, HK, etc ) it seems there are more reported problems on fewer guns in the field.

My son and I have two FNP T45 and both have worked flawlessly with Fed Am Eagle and Magtech plus reloads I just started reloadind with 230gr jacketed reloads light recoil and fast target acquisition with Trigicon RMR with 0.3 & 0.6 red dot. Holds 15 rounds and great grip (and I have small hands). Works extremely with our Tirant. Love my Sig 239, but single stack mag and not threaded. You should find one to try before you write it off!

I have owned mine for 3 years +/- and it has never jammed in anyway nor have I had any problems with any brand of ammo hate to use the phrase but its
as reliable as a glock

This is my third post in "The Hide", so take it for what it's worth. I own a G21, P220 and 2HK's. Last summer I bought the FNX tactical and have put at the very least 1k in rounds through it without a blink. Every kind of ammo I can get my hands on, but generally Winchester whitebox and Blazer.

The trigger blows compared to my sig and it's not as easy to clean as my glock, but it's cake compared to anything else. It's a "battle" handgun if one exists and I would not trade it for anything. You wanna cut precision holes then buy a high end 1911. You want to conceal carry a 45? The FNX isn't it. BUT! You wanna carry a big, bad, high cap, well made 45? Buy an FNX. If not that, then get the HK and hope you never need their customer service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
If you do a search there is neither thread here a while back about it. They got a bad rap right off the bat with trigger pins working out and locking them up, then the issue with the mags not feeding some ball ammo and they just took a hit in popularity.

A .45's capacity isn't limited if you have a positive outlook. Eight rounds of 230 grainers is equal to 16 rounds at 115 grains each.

I own the FNX-45T and I use it for Limited 10 competition, home defense and carry. With a good Blade Tech holster with a jacket over it there is no printing. I am 6’ 4” 230lb though. I have had ZERO problems with the gun shooting all types of ammo.

The difference between the FNP and the FNX is the FNP was the product of the Joint Combat Pistol Program. It was designed to run with NATO ball .45 ammo because that was its entire purpose. The FNX is designed to run with greater varieties of ammo hence the magazine follower and the barrel ramp differences.

The grip is the same girth as the M-9 and is hand filling but it works very well. The gun comes with 4 different backstraps so you can customize the feel. The availability of magazines early on was HORRIBLE, but it has since become much better and I have seen them available on Midway regularly.

The trigger is very smooth on DA and is 10lb 11oz pull weight. The SA is very light and crisp. There is no grit in the system at all that can be smoothed out. I tried to get a trigger job done on it and the only way is to clip the springs since there are no after market parts for it; after the pistol has been out on the market for a while this will get better just as with anything else that is new.

Shortly after I bought it I got a call from an FNH rep and was told that a lot of FNX-45Ts were put out with a 9mm trigger bar installed instead of the 45 trigger bar. This is not a safety issue, but I sent the pistol in on FNH’s dime and they fixed the part and sent it back to me with a free magazine. It took about 4 weeks and I would recommend calling FNH and ask them if you have a gun with the serial # range that had the wrong trigger bars. After getting it back I havn't noticed anything different. If they did not call me I would have never noticed anything.

At home it wears a Surefire X300 Ultra light. I just need to find a holster that will fit the gun and the light.

Anyone considering the FNX-45T I would say you are getting an excellent handgun with an abundant amount of uses. There is NOTHING wrong with a FNX-45 Tactical.

Well I sure picked a nice old thread to read so I won't be surprised if this is just screaming into the void but here goes...

When I hold my FNX horizontally, then move it 90 degrees to vertical, something inside the gun shifts slightly and a slight "tap" can be heard. I find it to be very disconcerting but I'm heading out to the range Sunday to give it a workout. Hopefully it doesn't blow up on my face 🤣

Got one for a steal back in March from Grabagun and sold it after 250 rounds through it. Had a vortex RMR on it, gm45 can, once the novelty wore off I found I didn't really like shooting it all that much. I ran 50 rounds through it without the RMR and without the can, thought it was flippier than it should be for the size.

For me it was too tacti-cool of a setup so I moved on. Nothing really 'wrong' with it, I guess I'm just not one to own a pistol that isn't 100% metal.

I don't have the TAC version just a standard FNX, it has been fine with everything I have shot through it. I have a friend that had an FNP, and yes there were certain ammos' it really didn't like. Like has been stated though, fully loaded, she is a heavy heifer! Soaks up the recoil though!

I bought one for a supressor host. It has no practical application for me. It’s to big to carry to big to comfortably shoot. You have to get custom holsters for it. And to honest it feels cheap compared to other pistols in the 1k range. The flex in the trigger shoe makes you think toy rather than pistol. I have a usp 45c although the capacity isn’t there it’s a much better firearm. But if you want hi cap and 45 2011 of some sort is the proper way to do it or a cz97b

put a rmr and surefire x300 on my FNX-45 tactical, compatible with BLACKHAWK Omnivore holster, works great and looks super cool

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
Mine is utter perfection for what it was designed for. Ive never had a problem of any kind with mine, nor heard of one until today. Great gun that runs perfectly!!!!

The FNP tac .45 I own has never done anything but shoot well and function perfectly.

I've shot WWB, Wolf, PMC, CCI Blazer 230 ball so far.

It gets shot with an AAC Ti-rant.

I bought it for my daughter when she was 14, every girl needs a Jenny McClure gun IMHO.

I've read the same complaints mentioned about this pistol before, but mine has never done any of the internet bullshit.

Also, my HK USP tactical has done the exact same things as the FN, with boring repetition.

Although it has a KAC can hanging on it.

Ive had one for over 7 years and haven't had one single malfunction with any type of ammo. Not one. It's stupid accurate but definitely a big framed pistol. They love hot loaded ammo. I use 7 grains CFE pistol behind the 230 grain XTP

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
I was very interested in groups between my two models.

Using WWB, they both grouped best at 25yrd. With me actually holding them, they were even.

It would be interesting to see any difference with a rest between them and take the human out of the equation.

I have had my fnx 45 tactical for years and but 6-8k rounds through it . many of which there suppressed and it run like a champ . Every once and a while I’ll get a failure to feed stove pipe something of that nature but that almost always caused by cheap ammo but it’s even rare with cheap stuff . Run it with a obsidian 45 silencer , rmr red dot and stream light tlr light Sure it big it heavy but it shoots great . It accurate as a combat pistol should be . And I like the trigger never Thought about doing anything with the trigger which I do for everything I own so that should tell you that its pretty decent trigger but I do love da/sa triggers

Reactions: silentwoods
I have had my fnx 45 tactical for years and but 6-8k rounds through it . many of which there suppressed and it run like a champ . Every once and a while I’ll get a failure to feed stove pipe something of that nature but that almost always caused by cheap ammo but it’s even rare with cheap stuff . Run it with a obsidian 45 silencer , rmr red dot and stream light tlr light Sure it big it heavy but it shoots great . It accurate as a combat pistol should be . And I like the trigger never Thought about doing anything with the trigger which I do for everything I own so that should tell you that its pretty decent trigger but I do love da/sa triggers
What do you think about your obsidian can after shooting it quite a bit ?

It’s my favorite pistol silencer . It’s very quit , easy to clean . I use it on my mpx with a 3 lug in the short configuration as well and really love that set up . I did just buy a deadair wolfman for the mpx it will be 6-8 month befor I can test that set up .I need another 9mm suppressor and I’m thinking very hard on getting the 9mm obsidian . I don’t want to use my aac cans as much now that there’s no warranty on them so I’ll just use factory loads with them . rugged pistol cans are the best I think maybe the Cgs mod9 is a tie but isn’t modular so that kills it for me

Reactions: silentwoods