• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns FNX 45 Tactical Red Dot Woods Defense (RMR / Deltapoint / etc)

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
I have a new FNX 45 Tactical on the way and I want to get a red dot for it. Quality and durability are my top concerns. I will be carrying the gun as a hunting sidearm predominately. I will also be using it at night with a weapon light. I definitely want my iron sights as a backup.

Which red dot would you choose and with what dot size? (Iron sights is not an acceptable answer :D)

The top two I'm currently considering are the Type 2 RMR Adjustable LED and the Leupold Deltapoint.

What is the best way (or even the options) for setting the dot up? This will be my first pistol with a dot and I'm not sure how people usually set them up to cowitness.

Thanks!

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
I have the Trij with the 2 moa dot on my FNX Tactical.
Use the correct plate that came with the FNX and it will co witness with your sights.
also the Blade Tech holster is a perfect holster for this set up

I have the Trijicon 08 RMR with the 12 MOA green triangle. I like it a lot. I use the tip of the triangle as the aim point and green seems to stand out better than red.

Trijicon RM06 (3.25moa dot). Cowitnesses perfectly with factory sights.

20180821_211745.jpg

20180821_211713.jpg

I would consider choosing a "dot" /style size first then shop for brand.
If you can try a couple first that will help for what ever shooting you do.

Consider on some brands that the lockdown screws are on the back of the unit.
You have to move the rear sight to lock down adjustments then move it back.
Do not remove the back sight entierly and fire it, some gismo in there I forget.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/attachments/20180809_151139-jpg.6930987/

Last edited:
Quality and durability are my top concerns
Then get the Trijicon RMR (if you're still trying to decide after all these weeks).

There may be good reasons for choosing the Deltapoint -- bigger window, untinted glass, etc. -- but it's hard to imagine that it could be more rugged or reliable than the RMR. If you search the web for "rmr durability" you'll find videos of people hammering them on tabletops, racking slides by banging them against the edge of a steel bench, etc., with no damage or loss of zero. Much of that ruggedness comes from the concave top of the thing, which is covered by a utility patent for at least another 8 years and so can't be used by Leupold or any other competitors.

My RMR has been 100% reliable even though it's the original model (pre-Type 2) that some people have had battery-contact issues with. The Type 2 improves the design to completely eliminate that problem, but even the old one can be completely fixed by just putting a dot of silicone under the battery to keep it in firm contact with the RMR's terminals.

As far as dot size, I'm running an RM07 with the 6.5 MOA dot and I really like it. The dot is easy to acquire but still narrower than the front iron sight, so it's more than precise enough for me.

Your plan to use it at night with a weapon light might not work out so well, though. As I described here, a red dot (especially an auto-brightness red dot) doesn't really work in that situation: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...usted-on-concealed-carry.6891426/post-7172869. You'll probably be happier with iron sights (or a laser, if you want to be all high-tech and stuff) in conjunction with the light.

Last edited:
How about the new aimpoint? I could see it having advantages with debris blocking the dot emitter (or whatever it's called). It does seem rather bulky though.

Who makes that holster?
I had it made by YetiTac out of Talequah OK. i had it made with the G-Code RTI attachment on it since G-Code refuses to make holsters for this gun. I'm on the fence about it. Turnaround was miserably slow and the Kydex is a lot thinner than other makers. It has a cheap feel to it due to the thin Kydex. I called and asked the guy about it and he said it was his standard weight Kydex, kinda blew me off. When I put a neutral to slightly negative review on their website pointing out my issues, they took it down. Kinda shady.

I had it made by YetiTac out of Talequah OK. i had it made with the G-Code RTI attachment on it since G-Code refuses to make holsters for this gun. I'm on the fence about it. Turnaround was miserably slow and the Kydex is a lot thinner than other makers. It has a cheap feel to it due to the thin Kydex. I called and asked the guy about it and he said it was his standard weight Kydex, kinda blew me off. When I put a neutral to slightly negative review on their website pointing out my issues, they took it down. Kinda shady.

A RTI compatible holster is exactly what I'm after but thats pretty disappointing to hear. I know that not many companies make holsters for it, especially when you add in the RTI compatiblity but you may want to take a look at otghex.com as well. I haven't ordered a holster from them to date but it is the company I was researching when I was initially looking for an FNX45 holster.

A RTI compatible holster is exactly what I'm after but thats pretty disappointing to hear. I know that not many companies make holsters for it, especially when you add in the RTI compatiblity but you may want to take a look at otghex.com as well. I haven't ordered a holster from them to date but it is the company I was researching when I was initially looking for an FNX45 holster.
His company was relatively new when I ordered it. He may have gotten better. The main thing that burned him as far as I'm concerned is taking down honest objective reviews that aren't 4 or 5 star.