• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

foam type in pelican case

radmcg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Mobile, AL
Anybody have the pluck foam in there 1750? I just saw it on a case website. Anybody have it in their case? How does it hold up? Would you order it or the regular flat cut out set?
AHA
Rad

Re: foam type in pelican case

-pick & pluck sucks in the long run. I've had countless Pelican cases with it and it doesn't last if you use the case often. Get the custom-cut variety.

If you cut it yourself, make sure you do it right! That stuff is kinda costly. I think I spent $80 getting all new foam for my 1750 after I cut it out and it looked like shit. -Brandon

I have the pick and pluck in a Pelican camera case at work. Held up nice for about a year and now it just kinda plucks itself whenever it feels like it. I'm with hatidua, get the custom cut and take your time, it'll be worth it a few years down the road.

The pick & pluck I have in my case has the same problem of slowly coming out the more I use it. Definitely worth it to go ahead and cut the foam the way you want or you can send off a template of your rifle and gear and have it cut for you.

I don't cut or pluck foam in the Pelican case, I take it out. I have many rifles and don't want to limit one case to one or two rifles.

I remove the foam in the lid and one layer on the bottom. I replace it with 2 1/2" egg crate foam, solves that problem just fine.

Thanks guys. Seagrave brings up a good point. How do you cut it so it doesn't LLS? Seagrave which hot wire cutter do you use? I have seen them to cut rope but dont see how that would work on the foam. How do you do that?
Thansk for the help
Rad

I have this one
Hot Wire Foam Factory AC Powered Hot Scroll Table Starter Kit
http://www.internettrains.com/merchant2/...ct_Code=HOT-K03

Works great. The real key is taking your time to trace and cut out your template on a piece of paper. Then use the paper on top of the foam as a guide for cutting. Much easier that way.

To learn more about cutting or if you want to build your own hot wire cutter check out this link on ar15.com
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695

That is awesome. Just what I need something else to build:)
Thanks
Seagrave great idea.
Rad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is awesome. Just what I need something else to build:)
Thanks
Seagrave great idea.
Rad </div></div>

I agree, off to Home Depot and Radio Shack.

Weekend project for me. Cut out some foam for my rem 700.

IMG_4779b.jpg

Hate CA
Where do you get the egg crate in gray? All I find around here is the yellow hospital type stuff.
Thanks
Rad

Thanks for the link. I've been trying to find it cheaper than from Pelican.

What you want (trust me on this one) is 'closed cell polyethylene foam' which can be found here: http://www.casesbypelican.com/1700pe.htm

<span style="color: #993399">"This plastic foam will not absorb water, is not affected by oils, acids, solvents or gasoline.
What does this mean?
It means that it will hold very small amounts of destructive moisture. It also means that the oils used to clean your guns will not deteriorate the foam as it happens with the standard open cell Polyurethane foam.
This type of foam is a lot firmer and stiffer than open cell Polyurethane foam making it easier to cut when you are customizing the interior. It protects your weapons better."</span>

Don't use that open cell $hit which comes in most Pelican cases and which absorbs EVERYTHING it comes into contact with.

Just call them to order this foam for your 1750.

Pazz I see the cases with the closed cell foam but don't see the foam alone. Is it egg crate on the top like discribed above or will I have to cut it for a single rifle?
Thanks
Rad

Pazzo ,
surely there is a missing word in that purple statement.
Shouldn't it say will not hold destructive moisture?
I read the website and it says the same thing.

Does anyone know what foam density to order? Would the 1.7lb density be enough?

Don't use foam at all, tear that shit out and use a soft case in the Pelican that protects the rifle, and has use after you get to your shooting AO. I have been trying to get this idea out, as it makes a lot more sense.
I have made mats for guys for this purpose, so maybe someone can post up some pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't use foam at all, tear that shit out and use a soft case in the Pelican that protects the rifle, and has use after you get to your shooting AO. I have been trying to get this idea out, as it makes a lot more sense.
I have made mats for guys for this purpose, so maybe someone can post up some pics. </div></div>

That's what I do also.

Why would you want to use a hard case period. Unless shipping or flying with it.Soft padded bags take up less room, they are lighter and the whole weapon system stays in it ready to go.When your done for the day throw the whole thing in a safe. They stack in there nice, and with a "nose" tag you can see the one you want and drag it out, ready to go. Hard cases have their purpose,I just dont think a robust gun with quality componits needs to generally travel back and forth in one.

+1 on the "soft" case in the hard case for airlines. Why, because you can throw the hard case in the corner at your destination and travel with the soft one from there.

I have a pick and pluck in my camera case, only lasted 6 months. Get the one piece

The Foam Factory has some good prices; just got enough 2.2 density closed foam to do my 2 hard cases over for $74.00; i added a stupid 2$ throw away item to get the free shipping at $75.00. cheapest I found so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Foam Factory has some good prices; just got enough 2.2 density closed foam to do my 2 hard cases over for $74.00; i added a stupid 2$ throw away item to get the free shipping at $75.00. cheapest I found so far.</div></div>

Where?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subgunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you want to use a hard case period. Unless shipping or flying with it.Soft padded bags take up less room, they are lighter and the whole weapon system stays in it ready to go.When your done for the day throw the whole thing in a safe. They stack in there nice, and with a "nose" tag you can see the one you want and drag it out, ready to go. Hard cases have their purpose,I just dont think a robust gun with quality componits needs to generally travel back and forth in one.

+1 on the "soft" case in the hard case for airlines. Why, because you can throw the hard case in the corner at your destination and travel with the soft one from there. </div></div>

Why? Because I have $6,000 invested in my setup and accidents happen. I am <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span></span> careful with my rifle but that's why it's called an 'accident' when shit happens.

I feel much safer with my investment being in a hard case, such as the Pelican 1750, than I do in a soft case where it can easily be damaged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deputy Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Foam Factory has some good prices; just got enough 2.2 density closed foam to do my 2 hard cases over for $74.00; i added a stupid 2$ throw away item to get the free shipping at $75.00. cheapest I found so far.</div></div>

Where? </div></div>

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

any local hardware type stores carry bulk foam for rifle cases