• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fool for Selling Sako TRG in 6.5 CM for TRG in .338 LM?

RaptorAddict

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2020
Simi Valley, California
I have a Sako TRG 22 in 6.5CM. I love this rifle and has never failed me. So rediculously accurate and addicting to shoot! But of course I have always wanted the Sako TRG 42 in .338LM. Would I be a fool to hack such a good, fun rifle for a larger calibler such as the .338LM? I know I am giving up light recoil and affordable reloading costs. I am after the .338LM for ELR abilities in the long haul. But if I could only have one rifle, would the .338 be the better over the 6.5CM? Or is it too much of a monster to where I will be sorry I got rid of my 6.5? Never had a large caliber such as the .338 as my go-to gun.

Reactions: stefan73
Definitely a fool don’t sell gold to maybe find gold. 338 Lapua is extremely expensive to shoot even it you reload. For long range there are better options out today like the 300 Norma or prc. If you want a big boomer just save a little longer and have one of each variety is a good thing

not a fool , mistaken maybe I mean you could have kept the first rifle and just bought the second , and happy happy you have two rifles you like . No regrets but now you left with that hole in your heart caused by you selling a gun you liked and all the sadness , loneliness , the guild and a sense of inadequacy lol that you caused yourself see the self inflicted pain selling guns causes . Use this pain and grow spread the word and never forget hoarders don't sell shit , you just keep buying more .

Shoot! I knew this was gonna be the case. Haha!!! Looks like I need to do some saving then. I do love that 6.5 which is why it’s too hard to sell. I know I’ll be sorry if it left.

Reactions: SmolPP
not a fool mistaken maybe I mean you could have kept the first rifle and just bought the second , and happy happy you have two rifles you like no regrets but now you left with that hole in your heart caused by you selling a gun you liked sadness , loneliness , the guild and a sense of inadequacy lol that you caused your self see the hard selling guns causes use this pain and grow . Never forget hoarders don't sell shit , you just keep buying more .
Remember ... it's not "hoarding" if you really want lots of it. It's "accumulation".

I never sold or started to sell anything so I am good. Best to be patient and save my coin for the next rifle. Just wanted to get other opinions on the matter. For all I know it could've been, "sell that 6.5 and go for the .338!" But totally not the case here! I appreciate all the different veiws.

Not a fool but you will miss the TRG 22, I have one in 308 and built another rifle in 6.5 even though I could rebarrel it because it shoots so well with the factory barrel.

Reactions: RaptorAddict
For me 338LM is for putting major energy ELR, beyond the range I’d feel good taking a critter for my freezer.

So if you’re getting something for a visceral reason, like proverbial zombie apocalypse or WWIII, sure get the 338

If you just want to stretch range, compete, have fun, why not build a 6BRA or something?

why-not-both-why-not.gif

The next question would be, when I go for the Sako TRG 42, is it worth splurging foe the A1 chassis or the original fixed stock style TRG? My TRG 22 is the green fixed stock and it’s golden the way I have it setup. But is the A1 chassis better enough at a 3000.00 difference? Could get the fixed stock and later go for the Cadex Dual Strike chassis.

IMHO, the TRG in 338 is a little too light for "regular" use.... if you enjoy 100rd+ days, don't do it. TRG42 in 300wm is your answer if you want the middle ground/need the extra oomph, even then, stay with your 6.5. Find RL26 and some heavies.
What you enjoy in your current rifle will go away in the 338lm.
I have had TRG's in 243/308/300wm...and a shooting buddy with 338lm. I wanted to like the 338 TRG, was not blown away by it-for sure harder to drive than my 300wm. Staying on target not easy for me. Way easier to drive my heavier 338Edge running 200fps+ faster built on a Bighorn/heavier bbl/chassis etc. etc.

IMHO, the TRG in 338 is a little too light for "regular" use.... if you enjoy 100rd+ days, don't do it. TRG42 in 300wm is your answer if you want the middle ground/need the extra oomph, even then, stay with your 6.5. Find RL26 and some heavies.
What you enjoy in your current rifle will go away in the 338lm.
I have had TRG's in 243/308/300wm...and a shooting buddy with 338lm. I wanted to like the 338 TRG, was not blown away by it-for sure harder to drive than my 300wm. Staying on target not easy for me. Way easier to drive my heavier 338Edge running 200fps+ faster built on a Bighorn/heavier bbl/chassis etc. etc.
So if I ever go for 338LM, find a heavier rifle? TRG seems heavy enough already, but I don't have any experience with that setup to know the difference.

My junk pile agrees.

View attachment 7881349

That said, I consider the Sako 22 in 6.5CM to be a premium take on the TRG. 9/10 of any practical use of the .338 and much cheaper and easier to shoot and suppress.

Also, The KRG stock is very worth it.

View attachment 7881352
Sweetest pile of junk I've ever seen! LOL! Also, who made your carbon fiber wrapped barrel on your TRG? Looking for options once my barrel is wiped out. I was looking at the KRG adjustable stock for a while but found my most comfotable solution was the Tactical Sharpshooter Rifle Stock Cover. It added just enough height at the cheekweld for my scope with that small amount of cusion. So I left it at that. Plus added that storage for small tools and my hunting license.

Last edited:
Sweetest pile of junk I've ever seen! LOL! Also, who made your carbon fiber wrapped barrel on your TRG? Looking for options once my barrel is wiped out. I was looking at the KRG adjustable stock for a while but found my most comfotable solution was the Tactical Sharpshooter Rifle Stock Cover. It added just enough height at the cheekweld for my scope with that small amount of cusion. So I left it at that. Plus added that storage for small tools and my hunting license.
It’s a bartlein carbon wrapped job. Nice barrel. Chambered by MissionSpecific.

I have a Sako TRG 22 in 6.5CM. I love this rifle and has never failed me. So rediculously accurate and addicting to shoot! But of course I have always wanted the Sako TRG 42 in .338LM. Would I be a fool to hack such a good, fun rifle for a larger calibler such as the .338LM? I know I am giving up light recoil and affordable reloading costs. I am after the .338LM for ELR abilities in the long haul. But if I could only have one rifle, would the .338 be the better over the 6.5CM? Or is it too much of a monster to where I will be sorry I got rid of my 6.5? Never had a large caliber such as the .338 as my go-to gun.

I have a bit of a TRG addiction. My love affair started around 2011 with a TRG in 260 Rem with a 26 inch barrel. Like your 6.5CM, it was accurate and a real pleasure to shoot.

A video I made of my 260 TRG back in the day.

About a year later, I was wanting a shorter 308 to use as a hunting and trainer rifle. My wife surprised me with a 308 TRG 22 with 20 inch barrel for our 10th anniversary! It was much more pleasant to handle in the woods suppressed.The 308 TRG really liked the Hornady 178 BTHPs for target. I also developed a nice load pushing 200 Sierra Gamekings at 2575 for hunting use.
3C524A41-40F6-46D5-9015-EB1AB47BAB57.jpeg

Fast forward to 2022, I found a great deal on a TRG 42 in 338 LM. I picked it up around 3 months ago for a song as my first ELR rig. I have already put around 500 rounds through it. It is a hammer with 300 SMKs and 300 A-tips! About a month ago, I got my first hits at a mile and 2011 yards with it. It is just a great gun for long range. I have a Terminator brake for it and find it comfortable to shoot about 80 rounds in a session.

B9BD7FB7-6D0F-40D7-A783-3CC90D650609.jpeg

I have added a Vision aluminum handguard with a built-in Arca rail to my 338. To this I can add an ADM two pound weight for recoil mitigation and my Atlas bipod. To the rear, I added a KRG folding stock. It is a very nice rig and looks visually different from my other TRGs. I still need to paint it.

So definitely keep the TRG 22 and buy the TRG 42!

Unless you can’t shoot longer than 1000 yards, then I would probably just keep the 6.5.

Last edited:
You just gave me more hope. Lol!!! I’m already out to 1000 yards and want a lot more, hence wanting the .338LM. Makes a lot of sense to keep my 6.5. I’ll never sell it cause it’s too sweet of a gun. I’ll be for sure saving for the TRG 42. Just not sure whether to spend 3k more for the 42A1, or stick to the 42 OG stock.

You just gave me more hope. Lol!!! I’m already out to 1000 yards and want a lot more, hence wanting the .338LM. Makes a lot of sense to keep my 6.5. I’ll never sell it cause it’s too sweet of a gun. I’ll be for sure saving for the TRG 42. Just not sure whether to spend 3k more for the 42A1, or stick to the 42 OG stock.

I bought one of the Vision hand guards on sale for $200! It looks like they still have some available. https://gcprifleco.com/product/vision-forend-for-krg-chassis/?v=1d20b5ff1ee9

The KRG TRG folder for $900 is nice and comfortable after adding a Bravo cheek piece.

So for $1100 you have the capability of the 42A1 and save $2000. I have zero regrets. I put that money into glass and bought a ZCO420 scope!

I bought my TRG 42 new from KYGUNCO for a hair over 4K. It's not chump change, but I feel it is a great value for the money as setup!

I have a bit of a TRG addiction. My love affair started around 2011 with a TRG in 260 Rem with a 26 inch barrel. Like your 6.5CM, it was accurate and a real pleasure to shoot.

About a year later, I was wanting a shorter 308 to use as a hunting and trainer rifle. My wife surprised me with a 308 TRG 22 with 20 inch barrel for our 10th anniversary! It was much more pleasant to handle in the woods suppressed.The 308 TRG really liked the Hornady 178 BTHPs for target. I also developed a nice load pushing 200 Sierra Gamekings at 2575 for hunting use.
View attachment 7881950
Fast forward to 2022, I found a great deal on a TRG 42 in 338 LM. I picked it up around 3 months ago for a song as my first ELR rig. I have already put around 500 rounds through it. It is a hammer with 300 SMKs and 300 A-tips! About a month ago, I got my first hits at a mile and 2011 yards with it. It is just a great gun for long range. I have a Terminator brake for it and find it comfortable to shoot about 80 rounds in a session.

View attachment 7881922

I have added a Vision aluminum handguard with a built-in Arca rail to my 338. To this I can add an ADM two pound weight for recoil mitigation and my Atlas bipod. To the rear, I added a KRG folding stock. It is a very nice rig and looks visually different from my other TRGs. I still need to paint it.

Unless you can’t shoot longer than 1000 yards, then I would probably just keep the 6.5.

You know you love your rifle when you make a video about it 😂👍

Reactions: ToKeepAndBear
Have a look at the multi-caliber TRG M10 in 6.5CM/308/300/338
If you‘re thinking about buying a 42A1 (about $7k), you will not be far off the M10 ($10k).
I’ve had all Sako TRG platforms

Attachments

• 221958B3-AA79-41B1-87B8-2AEA5AF456F1.jpeg
    221958B3-AA79-41B1-87B8-2AEA5AF456F1.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 38AA0278-C398-46AA-BF52-FE27D354C6C2.jpeg
    38AA0278-C398-46AA-BF52-FE27D354C6C2.jpeg
    504.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 4CD9B699-38DA-4F9E-82BB-AB4AAE4304D2.jpeg
    4CD9B699-38DA-4F9E-82BB-AB4AAE4304D2.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 71166FC8-833E-4EBC-A9D2-3CC77D551406.jpeg
    71166FC8-833E-4EBC-A9D2-3CC77D551406.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 4C3796C6-A050-4FDA-981D-ACDF5EAE6EF8.jpeg
    4C3796C6-A050-4FDA-981D-ACDF5EAE6EF8.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 106
  • CF6F03A8-CA61-4F43-8FF5-F18005CA2E24.jpeg
    CF6F03A8-CA61-4F43-8FF5-F18005CA2E24.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 102
  • B9DA315B-DA53-4BBD-954B-06EA696769F9.jpeg
    B9DA315B-DA53-4BBD-954B-06EA696769F9.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
The TRG platform is a great platform. The magazines can leave something to be desired but possibly remedied with the Cadex chassis if it allows for AICS mags.
Get both, keep both! The weight of a TRG could be an advantage over heavier chassis systems.

For the money of a Gucci TRG you can buy a used AI MC and have both rifles. Sako TRG is a very dated design and the prices have gotten stupid. You used to be able to grab a used TRG42 for $2-2.5K. The short action guns always demanded more money than the long action.

If I was gonna spend that kind of money, I would go with a Cadex or AI before Sako. The Cadex Lite Tac 338 makes the TRG42 look like its from WW2. The 10" twist is also going to limit you from shooting solids.

Reactions: schmi015
honest question....do you even have a place to shoot a .338LM?...what i mean by that is do you have access to a range where you NEED the .338LM to reach targets?

i mean, your 6.5 can reach out to 1200+ without breaking a sweat......are you shooting 1mile+ more than once or twice a year?

the reason i ask is because you specifically mentioned "for its ELR abilities in the long haul"....so i kind of sounds like you are not in a position to readily utilize the larger caliber.

ive done the same thing....i built out a really nice .300win mag....but then the nearest place to shoot 1Mile+ was several hours away....meaning i rarely fucking shot the thing....

yeah i couldve shot it at 4-600.....but my .308 shoots just fine at those ranges for a fraction of the cost.....
I'm the kind that competes with one's self and get pissy if I don't have something that will reach further once I hit that barrier. I have the deserts near me where the 1+ mile shot can be conquered. Will I actually go a lot? Probably not. But I find myself to be one of those loons that is comforted knowing the capabilities of the equipment I have on hand. LOL!

View attachment 7881950

View attachment 7881922

This is a great set up, but a good bit heavier and more $$ than a factory TRG.
In stock form the TRG is a bit light for me in 338. I would go 300 win or look at a more stout rifle.

Not sure why you would get rid of such a good rifle. No space in your gun safe? The Creedmoor can also serve a different purpose than the .338 LM,

Buy the .338; you obviously want it, but don't sell the 6.5. The .338 will probably wear you out pretty quick and just sit in your safe most of the rest of the time.

I have a TRG-S in .270w and while not at the same level as a TRG-22, the TRG line in any form is awesome..

I've got both, both Ruger Precision Rifles, and shoot the 6.5 CM much more than the 338 LM. This is as much a function of ammo costs as anything. I do my own reloading, with the mythic idea it saves a lot of money (but it does allow me more reliability on the ammo I'm using). The 338 LM is a pricier gun to shoot, and even right now I have problems and waits for 338 reloading supplies.

Now, economics and availability aside, I would probably shoot the 338 as much as if not more than the 6.5. Mine is not a recoil beast with the big brake Ruger puts on it. It is heavy enough to help hold on target better than the lighter 6.5. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my RPR 6.5 CM !!!

Of note, I am mostly restricted to a 500 yard range, so the strength of the 338 is mostly lost where I shoot.......other than making a very loud ping.

Keep your favorite rifle and have a 300 Norma Magnum built. Space the components out over time with your gunsmith. Folks here can help you find a smith. One of mine being test-fired by the smith.

Attachments

• 4AC60677-CA35-4C8F-BD1E-714C8232BE17.jpeg
    4AC60677-CA35-4C8F-BD1E-714C8232BE17.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 09A6A493-C3FD-4672-8922-0E8D531ABF10.jpeg
    09A6A493-C3FD-4672-8922-0E8D531ABF10.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 54
Sold my 338 Trg and went for a Barrett mrad. Initially Cost less than an M10 or Ai until you start collecting barrels. Keep your 6.5. Unless you’re consistently shooting over 1200yards the 338 is overkill. Get something in 300Norma.

If you can't afford to have both then don't even consider getting into ELR. .338LM is entry level ELR at best.

If you can't afford to have both then don't even consider getting into ELR. .338LM is entry level ELR

If you can't afford to have both then don't even consider getting into ELR. .338LM is entry level ELR at best.
Well, nothing to do with cant affording. Has everything to do with my other half not understing rifle costs. I fly under the radar with all my toys, if you know what I mean. It'll happen, but like all my stuff, will happen very carefully. LOL!

Well, nothing to do with cant affording. Has everything to do with my other half not understing rifle costs. I fly under the radar with all my toys, if you know what I mean. It'll happen, but like all my stuff, will happen very carefully. LOL!
Didn't mean to sound like a dick. My intent was to say that going .338 LM just because you want one or have a purpose to use the tool other than shooting ELR go for it. But ELR is a commitment, and a rabbit hole that I wouldn't sugggest making any "either or" decisions about. I hope you get to do both.

A gun that shoots straight and never has cycling failure is like a car that never breaks down.

You never sell either.