• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For best accuracy do you really need a muzzle brake?

Horrible
You don't have a fucking clue about what we're talking about here.

None of your drivel has anything to do with the RIFLE'S accuracy and precision.
Horrible Butt Pirate advice from another thread

“I have found that pulling the rifle back in the shoulder using only bicep tension is far more important than how much loading one puts on a bipod.”

Nothing wrong with Pirate. If ya got a 12 pound rifle do you apply 12 pounds of pressure with or without a brake using your corpus cavernosum ? How can you eat your pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are people just confusing accuracy and precision. Its not about mechanical precision but better information inputs into the second shot ballistic solver. You see your trace, you correct, you hit. Thats more accurate. :)

Are people just confusing accuracy and precision. Its not about mechanical precision but better information inputs into the second shot ballistic solver. You see your trace, you correct, you hit. Thats more accurate. :)
But that’s not how accurate a rifle is, that’s how accurately you can pull the trigger.

You are correct Sir! But I guarantee after round 30 on a 300 wm without a break my 6GT, 6brx , 223 with be more accurate all day long.

I dont think you meant to say you shoot 30 rounds 300 WM than your 6s and .22 are more accurate all day long.

I dont think you meant to say [after] you shoot 30 rounds 300 WM than your 6s and .22 are more accurate all day long.

Look it up...

Guns don't shoot themselves, they need to be driven by a person. The person and the gun need to be evaluated together.

This is like very basic but yet people like to argue about it 😂

You are correct Sir! But I guarantee after round 30 on a 300 wm without a break my 6GT, 6brx , 223 with be more accurate all day long.
How about energy on target @1200? These are tools. Different tools for different jobs. If simply making a mark on a target is the main objective then sure a 95gr bullet is a good tool. But IMO PRS has done a disservice to long range shooters by structuring the game to reward using smaller, heavier rifles rather than putting energy on target and improving recoil management. Not bashing the shooters, they are just playing the game as presented. But the structure of the game completely ignores one of the most important parts of being a good shooter which is recoil management.

Look it up...

Guns don't shoot themselves, they need to be driven by a person. The person and the gun need to be evaluated together.

This is like very basic but yet people like to argue about it 😂
And as basic, is that a common enough stimuli will extinguish any response given the right circumstances. Which means that you are able to train yourself to accept the "punishment" from a heavy recoiling cartridge in a light rifle.

Reactions: Tokay444
How about energy on target @1200? These are tools. Different tools for different jobs. If simply making a mark on a target is the main objective then sure a 95gr bullet is a good tool. But IMO PRS has done a disservice to long range shooters by structuring the game to reward using smaller, heavier rifles rather than putting energy on target and improving recoil management. Not bashing the shooters, they are just playing the game as presented. But the structure of the game completely ignores one of the most important parts of being a good shooter which is recoil management.

I like this, maybe knocking the target over like in silhouette, but then again I really dont want to be on the receiving end of a 6mm at any distance.

Recoil management? Sporter weight 7mm rem mag (Rem 700 BDL in Magpul Hunter stock) and a 15 year old kid. But yeah, it does have a brake.

A brake doesn’t affectthe precision of the rifle, but can certainly affect how precise you are with the rifle. They can reduce and magnify flinch, depending uponthe source of the flinch...

Reactions: Dpp
You mean like a 6br with a 26" MTU in a Whiskey 3 with all the weights ...and a Razor Gen II on top?

Yeah. Good times. Thats a behemoth compared to my Tikka T3x lite 7mm RemMag 168gr 3000fps load in a Manners MCS LOLLLLL. 8.5 pounds with optic, no brake.

#fundamentals

I feel like I'm missing out on some amusement. I abandoned social media, the stupidity in precision rifle based groups was a big part of it.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Youre not missing anything. I haven't done social media for years

Social media is stupid, even (or especially?) in the precision rifle groups.

You're right, I don't miss it one bit, not for a second. But I am curious if the post I quoted references something specific that sounds entertaining.

Social media is stupid, even (or especially?) in the precision rifle groups.

You're right, I don't miss it one bit, not for a second. But I am curious if the post I quoted references something specific that sounds entertaining.
Not really. Just poking fun the fancy super heavy, baby cartridge "PRS" rigs with my lightweight magnum rifle rig.

I tend to shoot better without a brake but 6.5 223 and 308 are about it for me these days.

I shoot better with a can.
The concussion of a brake sucks for me.

The nice strait push from a can I like.

Last edited:
Nice Washington state product.
Of Canadian whiskey.
This was $24,000 at Costco a few years back.
3715C331-4125-48DB-9AC7-1A7BEBD54238.png

Every once in a while somebody will start a brake thread so we can find out who the homophones are. It's a fucking BRAKE not a BREAK. Fucking morans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. Just poking fun the fancy super heavy, baby cartridge "PRS" rigs with my lightweight magnum rifle rig.
Shoot 200 rounds from it in an afternoon on targets varying from 600-1200 yards from a multitude of compromising positions, and let us know how you do.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Shoot 200 rounds from it in an afternoon on targets varying from 600-1200 yards from a multitude of compromising positions, and let us know how you do.

That would make a great biathalon rifle, who are you kidding 😂

Reactions: Tokay444

Define multitude of compromising positions.

Most of my rifles do not bear brakes. Some, because NRA comp rules forbid them. I've installed one on my 20 PA-10 308 because I'd like to see if one can ease the process with followup shots, but I've already function fired it with IMI 168 Semi-Auto match, and the recoil is not an issue.

My approach to brakes is to avoid chamberings which might make them a needed accessory. I have medical issues that make me less tolerant of recoil. For now, my tolerable recoil limit is met with the .30-'06.

Greg

I have sets of both Plus and Minus class ZZ and X, also full inspection department with all necessary gaging and a Mitutoyo CMM
I'm going to need to see a certificate of conformance that identifies calibration to ANSI/NCSL Z540-1

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
we are

We are AS9100 D certified, tier 1 defense contractor, so we have certs out the wazoo.
Nice, we hold the same cert. Part of what I do at my job is manage our calibration system.
I assume you are design as well (hence the need for a CMM)? Are you lucky enough to be AS9102 as well?

Reactions: 308pirate
I would love to see the divisions broken down by power factor

We will supply an AS9102 FAI report if the end costumer requires it. Lots of paper work with the AS system, but if a company wants to bid work with the DOD its pretty much a requirement nowadays, I don't envy your job, I am the manufacturing manger and that has enough paperwork for me..lol. Are you responsible for internal audits also?
Times used to be easier, I have seen lots of changes in the defense industry in the last 40 years. We manufacture weapon systems components, aircraft, naval sub sea and surface warfare components and assemblies.
It sounds like we do very similar things. We are also a flow through for FAIs but don't have design authority so we do not sign off on 9102s.
We do procurement and kitting for government contractors. So if you're not procuring material, we would be the company who would sell you all the raw components identified on the BOM or parts list.
I'm my facility lead auditor, QMS manager, etc...

Don't forget to ask about "what grain" bullet and "what twist" for best accuracy. That way you cover all the noob bases right away
I'm a noob, and yes it will always change accuracy, extra mass at the end of the barrel will change POI. But, as many have stated, the harmonics will change and precision will get better, worse, or stay the same.

One thing a brake is very effective at is clearing adjacent shooting bays at the range.

I tend to shoot better without a brake but 6.5 223 and 308 are about it for me these days.

I shoot better with a can.
The concussion of a brake sucks for me.

The nice strait push from a can I like.
I hereby rescind the former post.
With the exception of subsonic ammo I now prefer to shoot with an E C Tuner Brake.

In the past I had shitty brakes and Cortina changed that.

I hereby rescind the former post.
With the exception of subsonic ammo I now prefer to shoot with an E C Tuner Brake.

In the past I had shitty brakes and Cortina changed that.
Then, maybe, you should learn to shoot without any muzzle device, because it seems your aid has become a crutch... 😜

Radical information in here. Since recoil, recoil management, and follow through are fool's errands due to the bullet leaving the barrel before anything else happens, then I suspect PRS will move to 300 & 338 WINMAG in 7lbs AR platform rifles and take advantage of less wind deflection. That is, unless wind deflection has also been ruled out. Fuck, I'm back at square one again!

I'm pulling the 22LR from the tykes and putting them on 300WM chambered cricket rifles. I'll start telling them to pull their heads up as fast as they can after the shot to see the bullet on the bullseye. I mean, the bullet has left the barrel so nothing else matters after that. Roger, move out smartly and draw fire, yes Sir!