• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

For Mauser and/or 6.5 X 55 Fans

Tactical Max

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
I'm gauging interest in something I've been thinking about for years. I've always been a Mauser fan, and although I have many rifles, nothing quite does it for me like the looks of an original military Mauser. Do to their design as a military standard issue weapon, though, accuracy and caliber choice is a bit limited, along with other features that doesn't make for a good hunting, sporting, or sniping rifle (to most people).

Typically, when one of these old rifles is customized for the modern shooter, the final outcome looks like a modern hunting rifle, and the styling of the vintage military weapon is completely abandoned. I would like some input from people who would be interested in buying custom builds that retained "most" of the looks of the K98 style military rifle, but made in the more desirable calibers of today's shooters, and capable of outstanding accuracy. Essentially, the perfect blend of old and new.

I've also always been a big fan of the 6.5 X 55, and find it funny how after all these years, the masses are finally coming around to how outstanding of a cartridge it is. Well, partially anyway, as they continue to come out with a new 6.5 X whatever every other month to try and roughly duplicate the old Swede's performance in their short actions. For those of us in the know all these years, though, the Swede has never needed fixed OR replaced by some new kid on the block. It's only real crutch has always been lack of proper commercial ammo support due to the older, weaker military rifles from the 1890's that can't take the modern, higher pressure loads that the Swede is more than willing to dish out.

I know there are plenty of die hard Swede fans out there besides myself, who are saddened by how few companies still offer it as a standard chambering, and would like to see it revived more, especially during the current craze of the 6.5 caliber that has finally taken off.

This build would be for a 98k style rifle, in modern as well as older calibers, that shoots like a house of fire. And I don't mean out to just a few hundred yards. I'd like to build the 98k sniper the Germans would've loved to have had.

Obviously, this kind of rifle won't appeal to the masses, as there will be nothing "tacticool" about it. That's why I'm here to gauge interest. I know there are others like myself who love this style of rifle, but most are reserved for casual plinking, in their original form, with old surplus ammo, lacking the ability to do what modern precision rifles can. Why not have the best of both? Think of it as the '64 GTO with 389 tri power that has the maintenance record and fuel consumption of a Honda civic.

I'm a one man show, looking for something to specialize in, preferably something that involves my own taste, and something to fill a niche market that everyone is not already doing. I would love to be able to make a living building something like this for others like myself. Before coming up with a price, etc., I will need to get a prototype done and perhaps send it to Frank or something to get an unbiased review out to you all. This will be a ways off, so please let me know your thoughts. Many thanks. - Max

Re: For Mauser and/or 6.5 X 55 Fans

Sounds very similar to what I've been thinking. Use only 98k actions, tuned up, with some modern ideas. Look also at chambering 257, 6.5x57, 7x57. 243, 308 and 30-06 would also sell. Just an idea, a BRNO 602 might be the way to start.

Interesting concept, though I don't know that I would be in the market for such a rifle. I hunt with a Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55 and own several Mausers, to include a Mauserwerke K98 and a M96 Swede. So what parts of the military K98 would you get rid of to achieve the style of rifle that you envision?

I would change only what was needed for big accuracy improvements. Most of these should not affect the overall appearance. I would certainly do whatever caliber was desired as long as there were no feeding issues. I just mentioned the Swede above because that may give people interested in that caliber another option besides the three or so European companies that sell it here in the States.