• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

for real men that actually deadlift

no1ryno

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2008
Willis,TX
And for you crosfitters couse i know how u like high reps.

once a month i do an all deadlift day as follows
4 plates for 40 reps
3 plates for 30 reps
2 plates for 20 reps
done CORRECTLY and broken down in sets however you want
and time yourself.
right now my personal best is 25 minuts

Re: for real men that actually deadlift

oh and no belts or straps just chalk or it dont count. and yes no bouncing obviously.

Just motivated me bro. I'll try it out in a month, and let you know how it goes.

ok then do a real deadlift and don't bounce. that means the weight stops on the ground between reps then i'll be impressed
wink.gif

i've been trying to really phocus on my form lately on everything doin real olympic squats and true DEADlifts meaning the weight is dead on the ground not bouncing off the floor.

4 plates, as in 4 on each sides? That's heavy man!

I'm not doing this essencial exercise often, as for too long, I was scared of doing it wrong and injuring myself.

But when I do, 2 plates is plenty for me. I do 3 sets of 10 reps and I can barely keep my hands on the bar in the end. I guess my fingers are not strong enough to pull that load for long.

do that and by the time u get to the 2 plates i promis theyv never felt so heavy but its fun especialy if you got a couple people doing it with you so u can go one after another till everyone is done.

i don't think there is another guy in my unit that can do 405 for reps, i weight about 50 pounds over the next guy. but i will try this before i get home. sounds like it will hurt for a few days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh and no belts or straps just chalk or it dont count. and yes no bouncing obviously. </div></div>

I think I'll save my back and go ahead and 'cheat' with a belt on the heavy ones...

why no belt? its just the way i was taught so its just my personal bias really. i started out using belts for deads but
now i honestly cant see what the point is of doing them if you use a belt but i often forget that that wieght and volume is much harder for most people than it is for me i just lucked out and have just the right build for them naturaly. so if u need a belt to do it go ahead as long as u nut up and do it....but seriously if u use straps your a puss!

Damnit. I did some deadlift yesterday with 2 plates. It's been more than 6 months since I did it. My lower back is sore and tight.

Not to mention my fingers are worn too. I will definatly do it more often.

I won't be putting more than 2 plates soon. Maybe add 50lbs. But I will just work it that way untill I get confortable again.

i only use belt on super heavy stuff like if i go under 4 reps for a weight. same with straps, it makes no sense to not use them if i can get another 20 pounds with them. what do i want to work more my grip or my entire body? i agree though for lightweight stuff no belt

I never tried a belt. But what does it do? Prevent your back from flexing the wrong way?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fox_111</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never tried a belt. But what does it do? Prevent your back from flexing the wrong way?

</div></div>
It does that for your lower back and also keeps you from pushing to hard on your stomach. I saw a guy herniate his abdomonal wall from deadlifting realy heavy with no belt.
Personaly i deadlift to build my back and hamstrings so i always use a belt and straps , belt for security and straps to let me focus on the muscle im working

Is this 405 (4 plates a side) or 225 (4 plates total) for 40 reps? If 405, please post video.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this 405 (4 plates a side) or 225 (4 plates total) for 40 reps? If 405, please post video. </div></div>
He said you can break it down in as many sets as you want. But never the less it a hell of a lift for all the reps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this 405 (4 plates a side) or 225 (4 plates total) for 40 reps? If 405, please post video. </div></div>

Its 405, otherwise the threee plates for 30 would be interesting. I'd want video of THAT!

even if it were just 225 for all three set , thats a shit load of reps to complete in under an hr , between the lactic acid and lack of oxygen you would have to be in some awsome conditioning for that.

I'll stick to heavy weight for less reps!!

30,150 pounds moved total.
90 total reps = 3.6 reps per minute to reach PR.

I'm a decent "crossfiter"...I'm going to try this tomorrow before I yell B$....I'd still like to see the video.

I am intrigued too...

2 * 4 = 8 * 45 = 360 + 45 = 405?

That is a lot of weight to rep "honestly".

yeah it is alot of work to do in 25 minuts and yes its really hard and painfull but i just do it once a month to push my hole body and give myself a good gut check. but i usually train heavy on deads. call bs if you want but dont call bs untill u have the stones to get your ass up to the plate and give it a shot. but ill try to get a video up of it but i dont do it when i diet down and i just started bulking again so im not at the 25 minute mark right now but ill see what i can do.

That sounds intense. I could not do that workout as rx'd as my max dead lift is 405. I actually think ryno's time is plausible for someone who could max closer to 500. My reasoning being once you get down to the sets with 315 and 225 they will go much quicker. The killer would be that sick 1st set, after that it is all mental.

Ryno do you mind me asking your max dead lift? I would like to try this scaled to my max.

Brian

well my max deadlift when i got it down to 25 minuts was 580Lb's using a belt and chalk and i do my deads with my feet shoulder width, im not a chunky little powerlifter either and i never lifted wights in my life till a year and a half ago. but after that 25 minuts i was smoked ill putt it that way but im prolly bout 2 months from getting back to that 25 min time but hopefully beat it. oh and when i did that 25 min personal best
i think i did it as follows

the 405 in sets of 10 with minut and half rests till i got to 40
then the 3 plates was a set of 15 then 10 and 5 then i considerd saying fuckit and calling it quits but was saved by a moment of clarity then i wanted to fuck my own face for being such a tool so i used that anger to finish out the 225 in sets of 4-6 till copleted then layed on the ground for prolly 10 minuts till i didnt feel like passing out or throwing up anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And for you crosfitters couse i know how u like high reps.

<span style="color: #000099">once a month</span> i do an all deadlift day as follows
4 plates for 40 reps
3 plates for 30 reps
2 plates for 20 reps
done CORRECTLY and broken down in sets however you want
and time yourself.
right now my personal best is 25 minuts </div></div>

....so I will be doing this workout in a few hours....since you do it once a month, what was your time last month?

That is a lower back beating no doubt, but not impossible by any means. Someone with a 1 RM of 500+ lbs should be able to knock out a set of 10 with 405. 3 sets of 10 later you've had an average workout. Suggesting 3 minutes rest in between, the heaviest part is over 12-15 minutes.

Someone not conditioned for the extra sets and reps will experience intense burn of lactic acid buildup even though the later sets are lighter, until the body as acclimated itself to the kind of punishment it's receiving.

Only someone who is extremely intense and enjoys pain will come close to 25 min. first time out. Most people won't and some would probably say screw this, vomit and collapse on the ground.

There is definitely a feeling of accomplishment after completing a workout like that. I haven't deadlifted in 8-9 years due to a lower back injury, but my curiosity is now peaking. I may start light again just to see how my back responds.

last month was my first month back to doing it in 3 months and it took me 40 minuts.
i dont do it when im dieting down and i do rack pulls instead regular deads so ive got alot of work to do to get back to that time 25 minute time window.

I'll go easy on this.
It's day 3 post workout, and my lower back is still sore.
I'll resume next week, with less weight, just to get used with this exercise.

Tanks for the belt explanation. I might try it out. I don't care what people think. I just want to train and minimise injuries. I've been working out 5 days a week since june 2009 and I've never had so many injuries in my life.

Huge weight. I'm strong for an old fart, but that is way out of my league.

As an aside, deadlifts are like kryptonite for me, they just sap me silly. I did a bunch this morning and it just ruined me for my post lift run.

Deadlifts are fun! Try 3 sets of 30 reps with 135 lbs. I started doing that after reading about it in Men's Health from the actor who played in the movie 300.

Try them without a belt or lifting straps to keep your core and foreamrs strong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fox_111</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just want to train and minimise injuries. I've been working out 5 days a week since june 2009 and I've never had so many injuries in my life. </div></div>

you are probably over training if you are training 5 days in a row you are definatly over training and steadly breaking down your body never giving it a chance to heal , try working out ever other day or two on one off type schedual.
Old rule of thumb was that you need 24 hrs rest to start the recovery process and that is true but it doesn't meen that the specific muscle needs that much time , your central nervous system does and if your training every day then your not giving your body the down time it needs.
its actualy very very common , i'd say that 85% of the people in a gym over train and under eat. Thats the main reason that everybody wants to scream steroids when sombody is bigger than them and is only in the gym 4 days a weeks. I can take most any "Jersey Shore" gym rat and cut his training back to only solid movements rather than some bullshit he just read in Muscle Fitness and increase his nutreints and typicaly add so much weight and strength that everybody will swear he is taking somthing

As promised, I attempted this workout yesterday after my shift. I warmed up with the Crossfit warm-up and a 10-rep set of 225lb deadlifts. Here's what I completed:

"4 plates" (405lbs.) for 20 reps
"3 plates" (315lbs.) for the rx'd 30 reps
"2 plates" (225lbs.) for the rx'd 20 reps

The above was completed in 27:41

I would still like to see video of the OP completing it in his specified PR time....especially considering the length of time he claims to have been lifting ("i never lifted wights in my life till a year and a half ago"). 405 for 40 reps was simply too heavy for me, I would have severely injured my co-worker when the velocity of my L5 vertebrae struck him.

Wow, man. That is very impressive for the amount of time you have been lifting. Some people's bodies are geared more towards certain lifts, though.

Mine is geared more towards pull-ups than deadlifts, though, so I won't be attempting your challenge. My workout partner was a USMC PT instructor, and he's a beast on the deadlift. I'll pass the challenge on to him and see how he does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, man. That is very impressive for the amount of time you have been lifting. Some people's bodies are geared more towards certain lifts, though.

Mine is geared more towards pull-ups than deadlifts, though, so I won't be attempting your challenge. My workout partner was a USMC PT instructor, and he's a beast on the deadlift. I'll pass the challenge on to him and see how he does. </div></div>
always do deadlifts...they dont need to be heavy at all for them to work...give them a shot and stick with them....you will eventually love them..

bench

Oh, I do a ton of deadlifts and I absolutely love them. I just can't lift that much. I've been doing them for a lot of years and I still can only do 3 working sets of 7 with 315. My one rep max is probably 405 right now. I don't usually go super heavy on deadlift, though, or I could probably get my O.R.M. up a little higher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #3333FF">i dont count my reps</span>....but this sounds kinda like what i already do 1-2 times a week...

bench </div></div>

That's probably because you have difficulty counting to 90....yes, I'm trolling, bench seems to be an expert in lifting and crossfit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #3333FF">i dont count my reps</span>....but this sounds kinda like what i already do 1-2 times a week...

bench </div></div>

That's probably because you have difficulty counting to 90....yes, I'm trolling, bench seems to be an expert in lifting and crossfit. </div></div>
oh, somebody sounds sad...burn your under armour with the iron this morning?

just have your mommy keep combing your hair while she tells you how special you are..you will be back to your normal self in no time, big guy...hope this helps..

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #3333FF">i dont count my reps</span>....but this sounds kinda like what i already do 1-2 times a week...

bench </div></div>

That's probably because you have difficulty counting to 90....yes, I'm trolling, bench seems to be an expert in lifting and crossfit. </div></div>
oh, somebody sounds sad...burn your under armour with the iron this morning?

just have your mommy keep combing your hair while she tells you how special you are..you will be back to your normal self in no time, big guy...hope this helps..

bench </div></div>

Uh oh...someone's cranky....sugar withdrawal? Bench send me your address and I'll get a 7-11 gift card out to you asap for your daily HO HO's and mountain dew as you wield your internet commando sword.

Really, we can do this all-day...well, you can anyway...I have a job I have to go to. Can't we be friends and agree to disagree...

Other than to prove great stamina what exactly is the benifit to doing such a huge amount of reps on one movment?

I mean if sombody were to do this say once a month what would be the ending goal?

OP what is your age, height, and weight?

i know i cannot do this so i wont try your version. the 315x30 and 225x20 sounds easy enough though so i'll try that today. i have only been able to do 419x3 so its not that much more than 405 so i'll leave em out
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than to prove great stamina what exactly is the benifit to doing such a huge amount of reps on one movment?

I mean if sombody were to do this say once a month what would be the ending goal? </div></div>

If nothing else, you could change the tire on a Prius without using a jack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fox_111</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just want to train and minimise injuries. I've been working out 5 days a week since june 2009 and I've never had so many injuries in my life. </div></div>

you are probably over training if you are training 5 days in a row you are definatly over training and steadly breaking down your body never giving it a chance to heal , try working out ever other day or two on one off type schedual.
Old rule of thumb was that you need 24 hrs rest to start the recovery process and that is true but it doesn't meen that the specific muscle needs that much time , your central nervous system does and if your training every day then your not giving your body the down time it needs.
its actualy very very common , i'd say that 85% of the people in a gym over train and under eat. Thats the main reason that everybody wants to scream steroids when sombody is bigger than them and is only in the gym 4 days a weeks. I can take most any "Jersey Shore" gym rat and cut his training back to only solid movements rather than some bullshit he just read in Muscle Fitness and increase his nutreints and typicaly add so much weight and strength that everybody will swear he is taking somthing</div></div>

Yeah I know. My program take this heavy squedule into account. The nutrition should follow, but right now, I'm too lazy to get 6 meals a day. But I notice the differance whenever I eat more. I gain weight faster!

Right now, I'm down to 3 days a week, maybe 4. My work schedule don't allow for more. I try to go every 2 days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than to prove great stamina what exactly is the benifit to doing such a huge amount of reps on one movment?

I mean if sombody were to do this say once a month what would be the ending goal? </div></div>

If nothing else, you could change the tire on a Prius without using a jack. </div></div>

LOL , i could do that now.

I worked back tonight and this was the night to do dead lifts so for shits and giggles i tried just to see how many times i could get 405. I got 18 before my form got sort of sloppy so i stopped , that dramaticly cut my reps for the rest of my workout though , got 485 for 8 generaly get 12 , got 575 for 4 generaly get 6-7 and 625 for 4 singles , generaly get 3 sets of two.

Now thats using a belt as i don't see the reason not to , i look at it like shooting a gun without ear plugs , yea i could but why?
I also used strapps because i do this movement to work my back not my grip and not being able to grip the weight takes away from the back workout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARbowhunter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than to prove great stamina what exactly is the benifit to doing such a huge amount of reps on one movment?

If nothing else, you could change the tire on a Prius without using a jack. </div></div>

LOL , i could do that now.

I worked back tonight and this was the night to do dead lifts so for shits and giggles i tried just to see how many times i could get 405. I got 18 before my form got sort of sloppy so i stopped , that dramaticly cut my reps for the rest of my workout though , got 485 for 8 generaly get 12 , got 575 for 4 generaly get 6-7 and 625 for 4 singles , generaly get 3 sets of two.

Now thats using a belt as i don't see the reason not to , i look at it like shooting a gun without ear plugs , yea i could but why?
I also used strapps because i do this movement to work my back not my grip and not being able to grip the weight takes away from the back workout. </div></div>

I absolutely agree with that. Why not use a belt and straps? Because that makes you a pussy?

A: Pussies generally don't do deadlifts, they usually stay on the Nautilus Bicep Curl.

B: This is the gym, not Cell Block D. I'm not trying to look like a hardass, I'm trying to better myself. For the stage I am at, the ability to target a specific muscle group still takes precedence. Belt/straps enable me to do that.

And if I ever do get the itch to look like a badass at the gym, I'll do a set of burpee power snatches. With proper form, it's one of the best/most badass lifts out there. Without proper form, hopefully there's an off-duty EMT close by.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....but seriously if u use straps your a puss!</div></div>
He uses straps...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bADPG0N7ZbA&feature=player_embedded

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have severely injured my co-worker when the velocity of my L5 vertebrae struck him.
</div></div>

LMFAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bubbajoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deadlifts are fun!</div></div>
You must not be doing them right.

Just a suggestion try doing this with stiff legged deads. The weight never hits the floor. You can call me a puss if ya want but straps are neccasary on the higher weight when you are not resting the weight on the floor between each rep. here's my routine
225 for 20 no straps
315 for 20 no straps
405 for 15 with straps
495 for 10 with straps
585 for 6-8 with straps
Just remember to keep your back arched and go as low as possible. Take's your legs right out of the movment and focuses entirely on the spinal erectors.