• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For the pistol comp guys..

vinniedelpino

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Charlotte NC
    Any suggestions on a threaded, optics ready comp style pistol?

Ive been mulling over the commander length staccato, but I really like my dads TS2. I’m thinking about having A CZ-SP01 worked over by Cajun Instead.

Any advice? Neighbors are cool and they have horses, so I want to be able to shoot suppressed at home.

Ive been mulling over the commander length staccato, but I really like my dads TS2. I’m thinking about having A CZ-SP01 worked over by Cajun Instead.

Any advice? Neighbors are cool and they have horses, so I want to be able to shoot suppressed at home.

I'm assuming you mean a competition style pistol, not compensated?

I shoot carry optics with my S2 and I'm not sure I could find a pistol I like better. The TS2's done up are pretty slick and I'm not sure I would care for a Staccato over a Cajunized TS2, and they're quite a bit less money even after cajunized.

If I was in your position, a cajunized SP-01 or S2/TS2 would all be legit.

Keep in mind the SP-01 is both thinner at the slide area and lighter overall, but will cost a lot less and you can get a threaded barrel from the factory. The S2/TS2 does not have a firing pin retaining pin so all done up, the trigger will always be able to get little cleaner and a little lower poundage. That's not to say an SP-01 can't be very slick and light once gone through by CGW.

If you're going optics, the thinner slide on the SP-01 means you have to either run a small footprint optic or run a plate which costs you some more money to run the RMR sized optics. The S2/TS2 can be direct milled for a very nice low fit (See Photo).

The easier choice would be a threaded factory SP-01 and have CGW do their Pro Package on it. If its a non-decocker model, they can make it single action for you if you prefer. Although with a Pro Package you're looking at a buttery smooth 6-7lb DA pull, so not really a big deal either way. The fancier and more "custom feel" choice would be the S2/TS2 or even the nicer S2/TS2 Orange

If you like the slightly more compact versions like the Staccato C2, then you can look at the CZ P-01, which is the same thing as SP01 just smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_7706.jpg
      IMG_7706.jpg
      608.5 KB · Views: 148
    • IMG_7708.jpg
      IMG_7708.jpg
      317.6 KB · Views: 110
    CZ Shadow 2 OR. Plenty of footprint for even a SRO and threaded barrels are available. I set one of those up just last month for my brother in law.

Reactions: vinniedelpino

I shoot carry optics with my S2 and I'm not sure I could find a pistol I like better. The TS2's done up are pretty slick and I'm not sure I would care for a Staccato over a Cajunized TS2, and they're quite a bit less money even after cajunized.

Keep in mind the SP-01 is both thinner at the slide area and lighter overall, but will cost a lot less and you can get a threaded barrel from the factory. The S2/TS2 does not have a firing pin retaining pin so all done up, the trigger will always be able to get little cleaner and a little lower poundage. That's not to say an SP-01 can't be very slick and light once gone through by CGW.

If you're going optics, the thinner slide on the SP-01 means you have to either run a small footprint optic or run a plate which costs you some more money to run the RMR sized optics. The S2/TS2 can be direct milled for a very nice low fit (See Photo).

The easier choice would be a threaded factory SP-01 and have CGW do their Pro Package on it. If its a non-decocker model, they can make it single action for you if you prefer. Although with a Pro Package you're looking at a buttery smooth 6-7lb DA pull, so not really a big deal either way. The fancier and more "custom feel" choice would be the S2/TS2 or even the nicer S2/TS2 Orange

If you like the slightly more compact versions like the Staccato C2, then you can look at the CZ P-01, which is the same thing as SP01 just smaller.

Who did the optic cut on your slide?

CZ Shadow 2 OR. Plenty of footprint for even a SRO and threaded barrels are available. I set one of those up just last month for my brother in law.
    CZ has one of the best plate systems as well, and I believe ANR design just started making plates for the CZ's as well. I prefer my dedicated milling job for the SRO as I have zero intentions of changing optics on that gun.

Who did the optic cut on your slide?
    Primary Machine. You have to send them your optic, but they are the only ones I could find that got the SRO so low, by milling out a little bit on the slide under the SRO hood to get it another smidge lower. They also will re-cerakote in any color for no additional fee (for base colors), and had the quickest turn around. Very happy with their work.

CZ has one of the best plate systems as well, and I believe ANR design just started making plates for the CZ's as well. I prefer my dedicated milling job for the SRO as I have zero intentions of changing optics on that gun.
    I went with the CH Precision plate, if for nothing else, plug and play ease.

Reactions: Gustav7
    Primary Machine. You have to send them your optic, but they are the only ones I could find that got the SRO so low, by milling out a little bit on the slide under the SRO hood to get it another smidge lower. They also will re-cerakote in any color for no additional fee (for base colors)
    make sure they DON"T cerakote your internals if they don't already have some sort of coating. they cerakoted the underside of my 2011 slide, that was only blued, and the increased thickness made the gun not cycle reliably. i've tried removing some of that cerakote with one of those micro sand blasters but it's still not working reliably.

if i had to do it over again i'd not have them cerakote anything. the optic really covers up where they milled so if anything i'd just blue that section.

make sure they DON"T cerakote your internals if they don't already have some sort of coating. they cerakoted the underside of my 2011 slide, that was only blued, and the increased thickness made the gun not cycle reliably. i've tried removing some of that cerakote with one of those micro sand blasters but it's still not working reliably.

if i had to do it over again i'd not have them cerakote anything. the optic really covers up where they milled so if anything i'd just blue that section.

Wow, first bad thing i've heard about them. Mine came back flawless, and I was very happy with the overall workmanship. Maybe a fluke, I don't know.

S2 OR, Barsto makes threaded barrels for them. Order all the CGW shit and put it in yourself to save some loot and learn the gun.

57C7314C-1319-47EB-A047-0DFCAAC0A453.jpeg

The CZ Shadow 2 was made for carry optics division. I did the work myself with CZ Custom parts, Impact Machine did the optics cut, Idle Mind Innovations (on IG) profiled the trigger.
    A028E6BC-6A24-4BA4-9872-98B22F87F402.jpeg

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
    Did you just do the full pro package? If yes, has it been reliable as factory? If no, what parts did you go with?

I did everything but the bushing (I know a lot of guys think the bushing helps, but I’ve done them on 5 Shadows and don’t think it matters much or is worth the trouble unless the gun is a total dog).

I use the CZ-97 trigger too (personal preference), it’s just an old 85 Combat “thick” shape without the over-travel screw (that always backs out anyways).

The hammer is the biggest thing and matters more than the rest of the stuff IMO. If one doesn’t want to go whole hog, a hammer and spring change will get one most of the way there.

It has been totally reliable though ~7k rounds, which is what one can expect, I’ve had a couple older ones with the same stuff in them that have been pushed way past that…

I don’t remember what’s in the pro package but I do:

Hammer
    Sear
    Springs
    Extended Firing-pin
    Short reset disconnecter

- the only “special sauce” is I like to smooth the sides of the hammer like one does on a 1911 trigger job.

Pretty much ruins shooting all other pistols though lol. 😂

@vinniedelpino do you know what division you'd like to shoot in? That's the first thing you need to know before buying something.
    No formal competition, so power factor is not a concern. I have a few thousand 115gr plinking reloads to burn up. Then I'll settle on a mouse fart load.

I'll mostly be competing informally with my dad and a shot timer. Other than being 9mm, no restrictions. The course of fire is all steel, ~50 targets of varying sizes from 3/4 silhouettes at 5 yards to a rubber duck sized duck silhouette at 50 yards.

No formal competition, so power factor is not a concern. I have a few thousand 115gr plinking reloads to burn up. Then I'll settle on a mouse fart load.

I'll mostly be competing informally with my dad and a shot timer. Other than being 9mm, no restrictions. The course of fire is all steel, ~50 targets of varying sizes from 3/4 silhouettes at 5 yards to a rubber duck sized duck silhouette at 50 yards.
    Well if that's the case buy whatever tickles your fancy. If you've only got one person to beat all you have to do is practice 2x as much as him and you can beat him with a High Point if you put the work in.
    If I was getting a pistol just for fun that didn't have to fit in any division it would be a new Sig P210 Target. They are just plain cool.

I did everything but the bushing (I know a lot of guys think the bushing helps, but I’ve done them on 5 Shadows and don’t think it matters much or is worth the trouble unless the gun is a total dog).

I use the CZ-97 trigger too (personal preference), it’s just an old 85 Combat “thick” shape without the over-travel screw (that always backs out anyways).

The hammer is the biggest thing and matters more than the rest of the stuff IMO. If one doesn’t want to go whole hog, a hammer and spring change will get one most of the way there.

It has been totally reliable though ~7k rounds, which is what one can expect, I’ve had a couple older ones with the same stuff in them that have been pushed way past that…

I don’t remember what’s in the pro package but I do:

Hammer
    Sear
    Springs
    Extended Firing-pin
    Short reset disconnecter

- the only “special sauce” is I like to smooth the sides of the hammer like one does on a 1911 trigger job.

Pretty much ruins shooting all other pistols though lol. 😂

I've got a little over 3k rounds on my S2, but the only thing I changed was a 13lb recoil spring and 15lb hammer spring. But I wanted to upgrade at some point. Really looking forward to a less curved trigger, I'm sure the 97/85 trigger will fit that bill, but I do like @PBWalsh setup as well.

Main upgrades I wanted was the better trigger, floating trigger pin, and race hammer. Does the short reset and extended firing pin make a big difference?

Reactions: PBWalsh
    Does the short reset and extended firing pin make a big difference?

Yes and no, or depends I guess...

If you're fast already, then the short reset disco won't make you any faster. But, since after the first DA shot it pretty much turns itself into a 1911 (with no more take-up slop to pull through), the short reset disco is cool as fuck and I feel like everyone should have it lol.

I consider the extended firing pin to be cheap insurance against having light strikes, especially when using a reduced power hammer spring (I use a 13lb IIRC). It's a rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it upgrade.

An S2 doesn't really need anything to be shootable, they're pretty great out of the box. That said, the aftermarket hammers are a big upgrade due to their different hook geometry from stock, everything else is much more incremental. Adding a Comp/Race hammer takes them from great to sick.

Speaking of optics ready shadow 2, I was prototyping an RMR plate in steel/titanium for it since the availability of factory one seems to be hit or miss, and not a fan of 3rd party plates made of aluminum given the small thread engagement length.

or2.JPG
    or3.JPG

I won't talk anyone out of a CZ, but will throw out the FN 509T as a solid choice for a threaded, optics-ready pistol that plays really well with suppressors without any tuning required.

... and I just realized I have no pics of it on my phone, but it's not hard to imagine what a stock FDE 509T with an RMR and Obsidian9 looks like.

Or just accept that you're still going to want the Staccato and buy it.

Yes and no, or depends I guess...

An S2 doesn't really need anything to be shootable, they're pretty great out of the box. That said, the aftermarket hammers are a big upgrade due to their different hook geometry from stock, everything else is much more incremental. Adding a Comp/Race hammer takes them from great to sick.

This is most definitely true. I'm very happy with mine so far and after 3k rounds its just starting to break in a bit and start to feel smoother. I doubt I'd notice the SA pull when running a stage, but a lighter DA pull would be nice for the longer first shots.

@vinniedelpino I hope this thread has convinced you to go the S2/SP01 route.

that's a really nice looking pistol

So you don't really want a competition pistol. You just want a really nice range toy.

Let me toss a few other good options that no one has mentioned
    • Langdon Tactical Beretta 92 RDO
    • Beretta 92X Performance RDO
    • Walther Q4 SF
    • Walther Q5 SF
    And to play in the big leagues
    • Phoenix Trinity Honcho
    • Infinity Firearms
    • Cheely Custom Guns
    • MPA DS (yep the same one that makes rifles)

So you don't really want a competition pistol. You just want a really nice range toy.

Let me toss a few other good options that no one has mentioned

• Beretta 92X Performance RDO
    • Walther Q4 SF
    • Walther Q5 SF
    And to play in the big leagues
    • Phoenix Trinity Honcho
    • Infinity Firearms
    • Cheely Custom Guns
    • MPA DS (yep the same one that makes rifles)
    Exactly. A comp style range toy.

I was mulling over the MPA too and Bul Armory stuff too.

I even contemplated a warwick shortblock with fitted slide, barrel and frame and then building the rest. Minor fitting doesn't bother me so much as long as I'm not messing with barrel lugs. Unless there' a night/day jump in performance between the Phoenix/Infinity and the staccato/MPA I don't think I could I justify dropping all that extra coin for a new pistol. I'd rather spend that money on top tier glass.

I dismissed the nicer 92s, Sigs, Walthers etc based on trigger potential early on. Maybe those deserve another look.

You would love steel challenge, join USPSA and register for practiscore to find your local matches.

As for a gun, I use a M&P 1.0 with some Apex parts. Cheap, fast and accurate. The slide isn't cut for a dot so haven't used one yet. There are very few in the sport still using standard iron sights.

My next pistol will be the metal M&P or a 2.0 with the flat faced trigger. I've considered a CZ or 2011 but don't want to dump the money into one now.

Edit: Wanted to add if you have a 10/22 or other semi rimfire, the rimfire division is even more fun than pistol.

Last edited:
    I dismissed the nicer 92s, Sigs, Walthers etc based on trigger potential early on. Maybe those deserve another look.

Their triggers are all excellent. They are not worse than 2011 trigger, they are different.

A well tuned Beretta 92 trigger will ruin most CZ triggers and trigger jobs that I've felt.

Anyway, us practical pistol competitors don't sweat triggers all that much. A super short, super crisp trigger is absolutely not needed for practical pistol competition and those who whine about triggers are usually just making excuses for poor fundamentals.

Reactions: PBWalsh
    You would love steel challenge, join USPSA and register for practiscore to find your local matches.

As for a gun, I use a M&P 1.0 with some Apex parts. Cheap, fast and accurate. The slide isn't cut for a dot so haven't used one yet. There are very few in the sport still using standard iron sights.
    My next pistol will be the metal M&P or a 2.0 with the flat faced trigger. I've considered a CZ or 2011 but don't want to dump the money into one now.

Edit: Wanted to add if you have a 10/22 or other semi rimfire, the rimfire division is even more fun than pistol.

I could never warm up to steel challenge.
    • No movement
    • No stage strategy or planning
    • Every "stage" is the same shit every time
    • Start position is always the same
    • No hit factor scoring

How about a Czechmate with a fitted threaded TS barrel? Or a TSO with a fitted threaded barrel and CZC TSO red dot mount? Fitting CZ barrels is easy. My TSO and CM triggers are 1lb. If this is a toy you may as well go hard at some exotica.

Their triggers are all excellent. They are not worse than 2011 trigger, they are different.

A well tuned Beretta 92 trigger will ruin most CZ triggers and trigger jobs that I've felt.

Anyway, us practical pistol competitors don't sweat triggers all that much. A super short, super crisp trigger is absolutely not needed for practical pistol competition and those who whine about triggers are usually just making excuses for poor fundamentals.
    I am definitely learning this. There are so many more important things than a crispy trigger. A nice trigger is nicer yes, but in the end they are just better at covering lesser fundamentals.

Reactions: 308pirate

Every time I get one of those "look what's back in stock" emails from Langdon, I get a bit closer to buying one.

Confession time - I've never owned a 92, and for someone that grew up in the 80s, this is nearly unforgivable.