• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Comp on an EDC pistol - dumb or doable?

gro

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2013
Oregon
Hey everyone,

I have been looking into a Staccato C2 for EDC. I have seen some videos about various compensators for this and was mulling over getting the Staccato with a threaded barrel to attach the Threat Cadre compensator.

Has anyone put a comp on their carry gun? Did they feel it was worth it? Did they regret it? Is this just a dumb idea in general? I have never had a comp on a pistol before and not sure if I should start now.

Let me have it...

Thanks,
Greg

I have not comped an EDC, but have comped guns that I have used for home defense or left in a vehicle.

Comps are great for speed shooting, but there are downsides. Masive fireball destroys night vision and longer length can be harder to conceal. For me, the added size is not worth it for concealed carry.

I almost went down this rabbit hole. Then some thinking.
If ever involved in a use of my EDC I will be in jail for some time and I doubt I will like it. That time could be longer if I "modified" my gun. I want less reason to crush my life anymore than they would try.
That said these short barreled compact carry pistols would probably benefit from a comp.
I will stick to the comp on a range or competition gun.
Some may call me a puxxy for this just like the antis do for me carrying everywhere and both are likely correct.

I've got a couple pistols with the Dawson ICE comp and they are pretty loud, and create some flash (noticeable in daylight and pretty dang bright in the dark). I wouldn't go this route on a carry pistol.

It's not like a C2 really needs a comp, anyways.

Reactions: BCP
First off, comps work. No doubt about it. That said depending on the firearm there is little to no advantage of them on a carry gun.

Those new carry pistols from SIG that have a comp built in would be an exception for sure. However retrofitting a gun would make finding a good holster really difficult.

Depending on the skill level and other things adding a comp can compromise your carry rig and/or alter things like a draw stroke. Basically put that additional 1/2 to 1 inch of added length can change up a lot of other ancillary things. For example with the same carry gun, when adding a comp especially when I'm seated the comp digs right in. Without a comp there are no such issues.

The main thing is to account for the whole picture when deciding on if it is or isn't a good idea.

Comps work great but at this point, for me I would have to start new, with a new gun and a new holster to make it work. At this point it's not worth the price for the benefits that it might bring.

Most defensive gun usage is at very close range. If you need to pull the gun back to your body/armpit to prevent a grab, will you fire it from a protected position with the comp blast pointed upward toward the bottom of your face?

The advantage of a slight decrease in muzzle flip vs ability to shoot from a protected position is a choice only the shooter can make for themselves.

As mentioned above, the flash from a comp in a dark environment is significant even with lower flash defensive ammo which may affect your ability to see in darker environs if you care.

That said, your splits will likely be better between targets if that matters more.

Look at something like the Chunk Port instead, I think they call it the Ghengis Komp now.

Now you can use the same holsters, no extra length, I believe Sage Dynamics did a video and noted not being hindered shooting with it at night.

I had my gun magnaported, which is another option, though I don't know that I'd consider this to have done enough to matter, but again, you use the same holsters, night time shooting won't be an issue... and so on.

I'd go with that Ghengis Komp were I in your situation, in fact, I still may, it's just that I have over $2500 in my P320 so I'm doing what I can to resist going 2011 so quickly...

Here's Aaron's video, he's good shit.

Reactions: Bluedog82
My view on this comes from being a range officer in Steel Challenge matches. The comped center fire pistols are brutally loud. I would assume the comp on a short barrel would be pretty darn loud if you had to use it.

I recently got a SA Hellcat RDP. It comes with the comp and optic. I’ve thought about making it my main carry, but I’ve only put around 100 rounds through it. I need a lot more training with using a handgun optic and need to do more thorough vetting of the weapon system.

FE4C245F-B14A-400B-8B95-69E536E4FDAB.jpeg

First off, comps work. No doubt about it. That said depending on the firearm there is little to no advantage of them on a carry gun.
Um. Sure there is. Shooting faster with the same level of accuracy is a benefit.

Those new carry pistols from SIG that have a comp built in would be an exception for sure.
No. Those are the least effective and most poorly executed "comp" since 1911 bushing comps. Typical of modern Sig marketing; these are all about the advertising and very little about real performance.

However retrofitting a gun would make finding a good holster really difficult.
Again, no. Lots of holster manufacturers offer comp options, or open ended holsters. On top of that, anyone marginally competent can modify a kydex holster for a comp.

Seems like a lot of theorizing without any real effort to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Reactions: ELCO82
I carry a comped pistol. No downsides in my opinion. With night / low light shooting I’ve seen no difference. Any time your actually blasting away at night, and using a WML, the smoke gets in the way more than anything IMO.

And like said above, holster options won’t be an issue, other than having to buy a new one possibly.

Check out Parker mountain machine comps. They make comps for glock and Sig, with concealed carry in mind. I have 2 comps from them and they are top
Notch

Reactions: EXSOCAL
I carried a 1911 custom back in the 90's that was magna-ported. It helped a lot shooting Corbon 45 ACP +P from an Officers size pistol.

But, today I carry a Springfield Hellcat with 9mm +P+ and do not feel the need for a compensator. I am sure it would help, but not worth the extra length to me.

Reactions: E. Bryant
I carried a 1911 custom back in the 90's that was magna-ported. It helped a lot shooting Corbon 45 ACP +P from an Officers size pistol.

Thanks for bringing back memories of the "flying ashtray" :D That indeed is a very 1990s thing.

By 2004 or so, I'd switched to Winchester Ranger T 230gr +P loads in a 3" Kimber double-stack (one of those with the polymer frame made by Bul). This was what was recommended by DocGKR for improving the odds of expansion when shot from a shorter barrel, but it generated a bit of recoil. Eventually I swapped it out for a steel-framed Compact (4" barrel, Officer frame), and that gun didn't recoil much but it was like carrying a framing hammer in a tool belt.

But what hasn't changed over the past 20 years is my lack of desire to put a comp on a carry pistol. Everyone should make their own choices, but for me, more bulk/noise/flash moves too many things in the wring direction given the modest benefit on a pistol that already shoots reasonably flat.

But, today I carry a Springfield Hellcat with 9mm +P+ and do not feel the need for a compensator. I am sure it would help, but not worth the extra length to me.

Comparing apples to apples, a similarly constructed comp can help a lot more on +P+ 9mm than it can on 45 ACP +P. That's mostly due to the balance between bullet and powder weight, but pressure is in the 9mm's favor as well.

Because of that, a comp can be much smaller on a 9mm. I've been making some that are just a little more than a thread protector with a single baffle; they won't fit all holsters of course but don't take up that much more room.

Unless you're shooting 38 Super or 9 mm major comps don't do shit for you.

Unless your grip and recoil control sucked to begin with or you are a girl.

Haven’t been much of a comp guy until recently. Picked up a Stacatto XC. Wow. That made me pick up the Sig 365Macro. Wow.
Impressive.
I believe the whole flash/night vision thing has been, debunked. Hate the word. Seem to remember a few video. One may have been Sage dynamics. Can’t remember. Have shot mine in twilight and gotta say didn’t seem bad.

Hey everyone,

I have been looking into a Staccato C2 for EDC. I have seen some videos about various compensators for this and was mulling over getting the Staccato with a threaded barrel to attach the Threat Cadre compensator.

Has anyone put a comp on their carry gun? Did they feel it was worth it? Did they regret it? Is this just a dumb idea in general? I have never had a comp on a pistol before and not sure if I should start now.

Let me have it...

Thanks,
Greg

Eh if that's what you want go for it. My ccw is a shield 9mm older model single stack w/o the safety. YMMV.

Haven’t been much of a comp guy until recently. Picked up a Stacatto XC. Wow. That made me pick up the Sig 365Macro. Wow.
Impressive.
I believe the whole flash/night vision thing has been, debunked. Hate the word. Seem to remember a few video. One may have been Sage dynamics. Can’t remember. Have shot mine in twilight and gotta say didn’t seem bad.

The flash thing is not "debunked", but it depends completely on the ammo. With a powder that makes a lot of flash (Power Pistol or Blue Dot, for example), then yeah, a comp will make that even worse. But with a low flash powder (like AA7 and AA9 for example), there can sometimes be so little flash to start with that a comp has little to no impact.

Naturally a lot of self defense ammo is developed with low flash powder, so it tends to be a non-issue in those cases. But best to test your own ammo for yourself, and make sure to fire at least 5 or more rounds in low light; flash can vary a lot from one shot to the next.

The flash thing is not "debunked", but it depends completely on the ammo. With a powder that makes a lot of flash (Power Pistol or Blue Dot, for example), then yeah, a comp will make that even worse. But with a low flash powder (like AA7 and AA9 for example), there can sometimes be so little flash to start with that a comp has little to no impact.

Naturally a lot of self defense ammo is developed with low flash powder, so it tends to be a non-issue in those cases. But best to test your own ammo for yourself, and make sure to fire at least 5 or more rounds in low light; flash can vary a lot from one shot to the next.
Very good point about the powder.
I was being flippant saying debunked. That word….
There have been some videos talking about this subject, but to your point, results would be completely dependent on which powders are being used.

In my experience, comps on EDC's are more effort than they are worth. I have a C2 with an unthreaded barrel and I'm very happy with it. Plus, no extra length for carrying AIWB.

Carry what you are comfortable with.. but train how you fight.

The flash issue should be abated in low/no light through use of your light. If you can't see it, you probably shouldn't be shooting it. Most comps are bloody loud though - which may be a factor if you are in an enclosed space - particularly if you have only ever experienced the extra noise for the first time when it counts.

There are plenty of compensated guns operating in hazardous places.

Carry what you are comfortable with.. but train how you fight.

The flash issue should be abated in low/no light through use of your light. If you can't see it, you probably shouldn't be shooting it. Most comps are bloody loud though - which may be a factor if you are in an enclosed space - particularly if you have only ever experienced the extra noise for the first time when it counts.

There are plenty of compensated guns operating in hazardous places.

+1 on the first and last sentence.

But I wholeheartedly disagree about the flash issue. If you aren't choosing low flash ammo, then yes, flash IS a concern and it is NOT mitigated by "if you can't see, don't shoot".

Human eyes adjust to low light, and there's a huge amount of overlap in conditions where you have enough light to see, but it's dark enough for flash to be a serious concern. It's not as black and white as some people (even trainers) seem to think; anyone who hunts probably knows what I'm talking about. Of course, this is pretty easy to test for anyone who's able to go out and shoot in low light on public land, private property, etc; anywhere away from square range rules.

One example from my own experience is a hunting situation, but still relevant to defensive carry situations. I was handgun hunting with a magnum revolver (no comp, but a similar amount of flash to a bad comped setup) back deep in a hardwood forest. As it started getting dark, still 10 min before end of legal hunting hours, a group of deer walked up about 20 yards away. I could see them just fine, easy target identification and plenty of light to pick the one I wanted to shoot. So I fired, but hadn't considered the effect of that flash at low light - all I could see was a bright spot in my vision, with no idea where my particular deer had gone. It took a while of searching around to find it; no harm no foul in a hunt like that, but if it'd been a defensive case, I'd have been pretty screwed with poor vision after that first shot.

That's not to argue against comps - my carry gun has a comp on it. Just test your loads for flash in low light.

Reactions: SJ77 and sawman556
I found the length w/ comp to be a comfort issue when sitting or bending over, for AIWB anyway. I’m the end I’ll be selling my C2 DPO w/ threaded barrel since the I only got it to comp.

But I wholeheartedly disagree about the flash issue. If you aren't choosing low flash ammo, then yes, flash IS a concern and it is NOT mitigated by "if you can't see, don't shoot".

Human eyes adjust to low light, and there's a huge amount of overlap in conditions where you have enough light to see, but it's dark enough for flash to be a serious concern. It's not as black and white as some people (even trainers) seem to think; anyone who hunts probably knows what I'm talking about. Of course, this is pretty easy to test for anyone who's able to go out and shoot in low light on public land, private property, etc; anywhere away from square range rules.

One example from my own experience is a hunting situation, but still relevant to defensive carry situations. I was handgun hunting with a magnum revolver (no comp, but a similar amount of flash to a bad comped setup) back deep in a hardwood forest. As it started getting dark, still 10 min before end of legal hunting hours, a group of deer walked up about 20 yards away. I could see them just fine, easy target identification and plenty of light to pick the one I wanted to shoot. So I fired, but hadn't considered the effect of that flash at low light - all I could see was a bright spot in my vision, with no idea where my particular deer had gone. It took a while of searching around to find it; no harm no foul in a hunt like that, but if it'd been a defensive case, I'd have been pretty screwed with poor vision after that first shot.

That's not to argue against comps - my carry gun has a comp on it. Just test your loads for flash in low light.
Your point is well made.

Your point is well made. I just want to clarify that I suggested the flash issue was abated with a light, not a mindset of don't shoot what you can't see and that I mentioned both low and no light.

It is impractical to hunt by using your light to ID a target.. damned critters tend to run away (in some circumstances so do people if they know there is a 9mm attached to it).. I have simply found that if a light is deployed the issue of flash is not an issue and I prefer to carry both a light on my gun and another on my person so comp or no comp I'm not concerned.

Comps aren’t for me on carry guns. I recognize what they can do but to me the added length is a no-go. I switched from a G48 to a G43X for easier concealment, I don’t feel the need to add more length back.

Your point is well made.

Your point is well made. I just want to clarify that I suggested the flash issue was abated with a light, not a mindset of don't shoot what you can't see and that I mentioned both low and no light.

It is impractical to hunt by using your light to ID a target.. damned critters tend to run away (in some circumstances so do people if they know there is a 9mm attached to it).. I have simply found that if a light is deployed the issue of flash is not an issue and I prefer to carry both a light on my gun and another on my person so comp or no comp I'm not concerned.

I figured that's where you were coming from, but IME it only plays out that way if you subscribe to always using a super bright light in every low light situation. Personally I haven't found that fits with reality, but YMMV.

Fortunately there are some very good flash-reduced powders available both to the handloader and commercial ammo manufacturers, so if you just verify how much flash your gun and your ammo actually makes, the whole thing can be a non-issue.

Just to point out a couple for handloads, from my experience - AA7 in the right load (I've used it for +P 9mm and 10mm loads) can produce a fairly dim flash. And AA9 in 10mm (everyone's comped pistol of choice, right :p) produces very little flash, even with the big brake on my larger 10mm pistol.

Reactions: TACC and SJ77