• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? for the Toyota Tacoma owners

I hopefully will be picking up a 2018 Tacoma this weekend. Looking to get the TRD Off road 4x4 as well.

I like that new cement color, but white has always been my favorite. I keep vehicles for a long time, so I will probably go with white. Who knows what that cement will be like in 10 years, but white will always look good.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I hopefully will be picking up a 2018 Tacoma this weekend. Looking to get the TRD Off road 4x4 as well.

I like that new cement color, but white has always been my favorite. I keep vehicles for a long time, so I will probably go with white. Who knows what that cement will be like in 10 years, but white will always look good.

I like the cement too but it may come of as 'primer' in a few years or really fall out of favor/fashion. White will always sell. People will settle on white but rarely on purple/yellow/bright green/etc.

White looks the best on these trucks in my opinion,
mine was too good of a deal to pass up that’s the only reason I went with the magnet gray metallic.

Mine is also a TRD off-road,
I just removed the stickers and all of the Tacoma chrome trim.

Last edited:
Reactions: rookie7
Well I guess it is time to go by the Toyota dealer and take a couple pictures.
It would appear you guys did not understand what I meant by that. Sooooo, time to take some wind out of your sails. Just to keep your heads from getting to big. Here are pics of the back lot of the local Toyota dealer. Think about what your seeing for a moment. I have been in the auto industry for a little over 30 years and I have never seen any other manufacture have to do this. In fact someone here had to go through this I believe it was @Tucker301 but could be wrong.
Subaru had 286 cars get out that missed a robot and did not get all the spot welds they should have. Subaru recalled the cars and told the owners to go pick out a new car, 286 Subarus going to the crusher.

I have had to install some reinforcement brackets under recall on vehicles but never a complete frame.

I have sort of been watching and I would say they are doing 4-6 a month. All that billion dollar assembly plant quality control out the damn window.

6-ish used truck frames
toyota frames 2.jpg

2 new truck frames
toyota frames.jpg

toyota frames 3.jpg

Reactions: Tucker301
I actually had two of the frame rust recalls. Toyota inspected my old 2000 Tacoma and opted to buy it rather than fix it. They gave me 150% of KBB retail. No questions. No haggling. No BS. Here's your check. The truck is ours. No you can't have the floor mats.

I drove that truck for 7 years and made $1000 on it.

I put that money towards my current 2005 model. Several years later I got the letter on that one. Same program, except this time they opted to replace the frame. They also replaced associated parts like brake lines, bushings, control arms.
They put me on fully funded rentals for months while they kept my truck. I got a little irritated with how long it took, but I am ultimately very pleased with the service.
It's funny this came up, because the other day I got a new notice from them. They have extended the frame coverage for another two years. So if my 2005 rusts through before the end of 2020, Toyota will once again take care of me.

I'm a Toyota fan for life because of how they handled these issues. Any maker can have problems, but Toyota and frame rust is reminiscent of LL Bean and that original boot.

I actually had two of the frame rust recalls. Toyota inspected my old 2000 Tacoma and opted to buy it rather than fix it. They gave me 150% of KBB retail. No questions. No haggling. No BS. Here's your check. The truck is ours. No you can't have the floor mats.

I drove that truck for 7 years and made $1000 on it.

I put that money towards my current 2005 model. Several years later I got the letter on that one. Same program, except this time they opted to replace the frame. They also replaced associated parts like brake lines, bushings, control arms.
They put me on fully funded rentals for months while they kept my truck. I got a little irritated with how long it took, but I am ultimately very pleased with the service.
It's funny this came up, because the other day I got a new notice from them. They have extended the frame coverage for another two years. So if my 2005 rusts through before the end of 2020, Toyota will once again take care of me.

I'm a Toyota fan for life because of how they handled these issues. Any maker can have problems, but Toyota and frame rust is reminiscent of LL Bean and that original boot.

They do make a good vehicle. I just had to point out they are not perfect. You know keep the "my (fill in the blank) shoots 1/4 MOA all day" from getting to deep. I have been impressed with many a Toyota. Could never own one myself. One person in the family did about 15 years ago and I shit you not it burned to the ground in a parking lot.
Just not in the cards for my family.

Reactions: Tucker301
I think they likely learned their lesson on frames. Tucker learned a lesson on responsible car dealers. If that were an American Truck they would have given him a $500 voucher on a new vehicle. Vega and Covair owners got shit. BTW the TACO is Very American http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/list-top-10-american-trucks-gallery-1.2695780?pmSlide=1.3241212

I was going to let this die but Grandpa's 93rd birthday was Tuesday and I just have to say something.
I understand that many many Toyota's are made in America, But the profits still go to a foreign company.

Grandpa was a medic for the Navy in the Pacific during WWII. The stories he tells, most in our family could never own a Japanese vehicle. Now a days everyone bitches that everything is "made in China" but in the 70's and 80's it was "Made in Japan".

After Grandpa got back from WWII he bought a FORD and never looked back. I can think of at least 35 Fords that have been in the family with about 10,000,000 miles. I know at least 8 Ford Taurus's that have went to the crusher with between 280,000 - 310,000 miles. In fact one Uncle who for awhile was very frugal used to buy them at 200,000 for $1500 and drive them for another 100k. I grew up in a 1976 Ford F350, in 1995 dad got his first powerstroke and gave me the 1976, I put an engine in it which would have been its 3rd (original 360, 390 in the mid 80's and I put a 428SCJ in it The SCJ is a funny story). When I got my Powerstroke in 2002 and sold the truck the entire drive train minus the engine had over 800,000 miles. (minus normal ujoints and ball joints of course)

Grandma and Grandpa used to talk about how any Government employee who showed up to work in a Japanese or German vehicle should lose their job on the spot.

As a child I remember my parents looking at the "Made in" label and as Japan took over most of the manufacturing our family slowly lost that battle but we would not concede vehicles.

China now benefits from our lack of loyalty to our country. If anything can be said America builds countries and I think India will be next.

There have been a couple non-Fords, one uncle had a Chrysler Cordova and one cousin had a Toyota pickup. When the toyota was about 3 years old it burn to the ground in a parting lot. Karma was my thought, "we are not supposed to own those" is what I said.

Now as a Mechanic I would no doubt what so ever say that toyota (and honda ) build good shit. I have tried to talk to my father and explain that really the American Manufactures did it to themselves. They have made some total dog shit. I am here to tell you that domestically Ford is absolutely the best out of the "big 3". But and here is the big BUT even with Ford you have to be selective in what you get. I tell people even though I am a Ford Fan not every Ford deserves to be in my driveway. But with Toyota (and Honda) I think in General you can pick any car on the lot with any option and be GTG.
I respect the competition is my point. But I do in a little part think that every person driving a Toyota is a traitor. Today not so much but I have to think the people who bought the first toyotas were SJW's who "felt bad about nuking them". That is the only way I can see someone buying a toyota in the '50s and '60s.
The workers building toyotas and hondas today would be building Fords and GM products if they American Manufactures had pulled their heads out of their asses.
I know I am rambling so I will end with this. If Iraq, Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia started to produce vehicles and your child bought one how would you feel, no matter how good it was. Yea that is how I feel with every Japanese car on the road.

If you have not noticed there are some textiles made in Vietnam in the last decade, With 2 uncles as Marines in Vietnam don't even get me started on that.

PS. I just remembered one cousin leased a Highlander a couple months ago. I hope that fucker burns to the ground also.

PPSS Grandpa will tell your the worst vehicle he every owned was a mid 70's Maverick with a 302 V8. Never really broke down, but in the snow he went in the ditch 3 times (he was a professional truck/bus driver for almost 45 years, the one thing he knows how to do is drive). He has never owned another V8 car since. He had V8's in his trucks but car have been straight or V 6's

Lol! My Grandpa wasn't very happy when I bought my first Toyota either. Then again I love German built guns, and optics too.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
The Lol, was because I remember the look he gave me the first time I pulled up in it.

My experience with Toyota hasn't been as positive as everyone else... our family owned GM stuff for years and never really had any major issues, just little stuff occasionally. Decided to venture outside the GM world and got mom a 1999 4Runner, and it was good up until the damn thing spit 2 connecting rods out the side of the block while merging on the freeway at 135K miles. Maintenance was never skipped or delayed. My guess is there was a casting flaw in one rod and it finally let go; rod bolts were still intact, although bent to hell, on both of the failed rods. No issues with the rest of the vehicle, but that's a rather serious failure... LOL. Happened while the parents were 500 miles away on vacation, they had it towed to the dealer and got a rental. Replacement engine from Toyota has made a faint lower end knock since new... based on frequency it's in one cylinder, possibly a wrist pin or excessive rod bearing clearance. The replacement engine now has 95K miles on it and the knock is still there. Hasn't got any louder or worse, but some days you can faintly feel it in the steering wheel when sitting at a stop light. Starting to puff a little oil smoke on startup after it sits, I'll need to do valve seals when it's due for the next timing belt and valve adjustment if we still have it then. Power and mileage from the 5VZ-FE V6 isn't that impressive either. Good luck passing people on a 2-lane road, forget it if you have 4 people and some stuff in the back. If you really, really baby it you *might* see 19mpg if you have a tailwind.

Can't comment on their newer stuff as the connecting rod failure and the dealer not taking care of the lower end noise on the replacement engine really soured us on Toyota. Other than the engine, the only parts failures have been one rear axle seal at about 150K, one starter at about 175K and the primary O2 sensor at about 210K miles... so ignoring the engine failure it's been pretty damn solid. Notable recurring issues are leaky valve cover gaskets and the front brakes have a serious habit of uneven pad wear and developing rotor thickness variation quite easily.

As always, your mileage may vary...

Last edited:
Toyota put a new frame under my bud's 300k mile 2008 base 4 cylinder truck earlier this year. He paid for parts on some of the worn suspension components and they put it back together no extra charge on labor for the new parts. He's gonna drive it til the motor goes, then consider what to do then.

We just hit 95k on our 2013 (in service Sept 2012), so I put Bilstein 5100s all around on it and up-rated the front springs. This truck should last us as long as we want to drive it.

It does get used...

Attachments

• IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 22