• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forends too short on long barrel rifles

excaliber

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
Abingdon,Va
Seems like the trend today is longer barrels, yet the stock makers still use the standard forend length which looks short when used with 30" barrels with muzzlebrakes. I have talked to Manners & Mcmillan about this and they say it would require new molds. I understand that but take for example the Cheytac length actions, the stock has the same forend as say a Rem 700 short action does. Does any (fiberglass, Kevlar, Carbon Fiber) stock making company make longer forend stocks? I know they make benchrest style with longer forends but I`m wanting a stock similar to the Manners T2A or Mcmillan A3.

Thanks

I wish, I'd love to see a precision/tactical style stock that extends 1" before the muzzle, almost like a mannlicher. Or maybe a fiberglass shell with a slot cut to add a carbon fiber forend.

Tag.

I've always been looking for a long forearm stock for some of my long barreled guns. Seems like Bell and Carlson does "OK", but nothing great.

I guess the question is "Why?". Other than making it heavier, and apparently appealing to your personal sense of proportion, what practical value would it have, and how many could someone sell? As it stands, McMillian and Manners seem to be selling more than they can make already. It's hard enough to reach the bipod to adjust it with current lengths when you are correctly positioned behind the gun. So, what's the point?

I've always wanted to protect the barrel.

Protect the barrel from what, daylight??, fingerprints?? Anyway, use some of the pipe wrapping foam and a couple diapers around it and your barrel will be vampire proof too.
Cheers.

Protect the barrel from what, daylight??, fingerprints?? Anyway, use some of the pipe wrapping foam and a couple diapers around it and your barrel will be vampire proof too.
Cheers.

Na, I have always been worried about throwing it off somehow when I bump it against something like a tree or a treestand or such things. I know it probably wouldn't happen, seeing as how its just a steel pipe screwed into another steel pipe, but I always worry about knocking my barrel.

I call barrel scars "character marks" they all have a story to tell, if you cannot live with those, a small file and a can of paint covers them up pretty easily.
Cheers bro.