• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forgot to follow "1 shot/1 clean" break in

limitz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
So far I've shot 20 rounds through the barrel, and just finished reading in mutiple places that people were recommending cleaning the barrel after every shot; for the first 20-25 shots.

Will not following this procedure really bite me in the ass later on? I don't want to ruin a perfectly good barrel.

Re: Forgot to follow "1 shot/1 clean" break in

I have a new Brux barrel that I didn't do a thing to but shoot rounds through so far. I played with COAL to find one that works well and started with book min. on powder charge and it shoots in the .4's @ 100 already. I'm trying to get out this weekend and fine tune a powder load but I'm fairly certain that break in wasn't needed since it's under 1/2moa without even finding an optimum powder charge.

YMMV but I've never broke in a barrel and have had very, very good shooters.

You're screwed, I would sell the Gun fast before it bites you in the butt... this will come back to haunt you.

1 shot, clean, 2 shots, clean, I know I just didn't do it for my AX this week. You have to break it in right or the gun is toast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're screwed, I would sell the Gun fast before it bites you in the butt... this will come back to haunt you.

1 shot, clean, 2 shots, clean, I know I just didn't do it for my AX this week. You have to break it in right or the gun is toast. </div></div>

^^^He's being sarcastic, lol...

LL is right. Look, if it's the Tikka in your sig line you're talking about you might as well sell it...not breaking the barrel in correctly is the kiss of death. If you need to unload it fast I can offer $127.93 for it.

Yasherka is trying to rip you off. I will pay you $134.46 for it. If you pay the shipping

This has been discussed and debated ad naseum! In my own limited experience, I think it's most important that on the first few trips to the range you THOROUGLY and COMPLETELY clean the bore, whether you fire 1 or 100 rounds. This seems to make it much easier and quicker to get a clean bore in the future. If you leave it dirty, then fire a few more on top of that, it seems to push the fouling deeper into the pores of the barrel, making it harder to get clean. Your mileage may vary, see dealer for taxes title, and licensing fees, poster may be full of shit! CKruse

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckruse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has been discussed and debated ad naseum! In my own limited experience, I think it's most important that on the first few trips to the range you THOROUGLY and COMPLETELY clean the bore, whether you fire 1 or 100 rounds. This seems to make it much easier and quicker to get a clean bore in the future. <span style="font-weight: bold">If you leave it dirty, then fire a few more on top of that, it seems to push the fouling deeper into the pores of the barrel</span>, making it harder to get clean. Your mileage may vary, see dealer for taxes title, and licensing fees, poster may be full of shit! CKruse </div></div>

Damn, new one on me. This is what I use to deep clean my pores,
padeluxe.png

I really thought this would be one of those posts with a title to throw us off, then when you click on it there would be a photo of a 10 shot 1/4moa group from a non-broken-in barrel.

Too bad it was a serious question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far I've shot 20 rounds through the barrel, and just finished reading in mutiple places that people were recommending cleaning the barrel after every shot; for the first 20-25 shots.

Will not following this procedure really bite me in the ass later on? <span style="color: #FF0000">I don't want to ruin a perfectly good barrel</span>. </div></div>shooting will definatly ruin the barrel,i advise clean once and send to the gun rack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmyers2213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yasherka is trying to rip you off. I will pay you $134.46 for it. If you pay the shipping </div></div>

Both of these guys are trying to rob you......I'll give you an even $200.00, and pay shipping.

Uh........here we go AGAIN (for at least the umpteenth time in the last few months)!! Here is an excellent video that really demonstrates the finer points of proper break-in. PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION AND FOLLOW THE PROCESS IN DETAIL:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh........here we go AGAIN (for at least the umpteenth time in the last few months)!! Here is an excellent video that really demonstrates the finer points of proper break-in. PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION AND FOLLOW THE PROCESS IN DETAIL:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

That was funny! Thanks for sharing!
laugh.gif

LL-
Did you break your "New Build Rifle" in correctly. Didn't see that in the video....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're screwed, I would sell the Gun fast before it bites you in the butt... this will come back to haunt you.

1 shot, clean, 2 shots, clean, I know I just didn't do it for my AX this week. You have to break it in right or the gun is toast. </div></div>

I'll give you $200.51 and pay shipping. Seriously the barrel break in thing is rather over rated. The gun will be fine. If your still having your doubts then let me know where to send the payment.

Man I hate that video. It's slightly funny then the more you think about it...it's just stupid. Its nice how some people have enough money to abuse their shit just to be a smart ass. But hey...good for him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Man I hate that video. It's slightly funny then the more you think about it...it's just stupid. </div></div>

I'll second that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Man I hate that video. It's slightly funny then the more you think about it...it's just stupid. </div></div>

I'll second that.</div></div>

Third! I've never gotten the humor, guess I'm just not funny.

As far as the OP and breaking the barrel in. You're about at the place where I'll clean a barrel for the first time. Nothing insane, just clean it up well. Now you're good for a couple hundred more rounds.

Yeah I kinda wish the glass blew out of both ends of his scope on the first drop. Would have been a better video.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh........here we go AGAIN (for at least the umpteenth time in the last few months)!! Here is an excellent video that really demonstrates the finer points of proper break-in. PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION AND FOLLOW THE PROCESS IN DETAIL:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>
NOBODY likes that video.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOBODY likes that video.
smile.gif
</div></div>

^^ True! ^^
wink.gif

Look, the only reason I continue to post that damn video is because it is as stupid and irritating as the @#$%ing barrel break-in question getting asked over and OVER and O V E R again! (Although I admit that I do get a kick out of it sometimes when I think that Nobody actually did that to a rifle/scope just to prove a point).

Blonde vs. Brunette? Ford vs. Chevy? Ketchup or no kethup on your hot dogs? This vs. That?!?!?!

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference for the most part and you likely fall into one school of thought or the other. I have yet to see a single bit of evidence first-hand from my experiences with shooting precision rifles that barrel break-in is anything other than a myth and a general waste of time, money and ammo, but to each their own. I have, on the other hand, seen plenty of examples of people cleaning the hell out of their rifles to the point of causing considerably more harm than good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blonde vs. Brunette? Ford vs. Chevy? Ketchup or no kethup on your hot dogs? This vs. That?!?!?!</div></div>

I was with up until the ketchup part. Who the hell puts ketchup on a hot dog? Thats just retarded...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put Ketchup on my hot dog, I do about 2 mustard to 1 Ketchup in terms of ratio.

</div></div>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F5JIpT4GkyM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F5JIpT4GkyM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was with up until the ketchup part. Who the hell puts ketchup on a hot dog? Thats just retarded... </div></div>

I do ketchup, I'm not a rehtard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put Ketchup on my hot dog, I do about 2 mustard to 1 Ketchup in terms of ratio.

</div></div>

LL,

Ketchup on a hot dog gets you attacked by flash mobs in this town... if your lucky. I don't even want to think about if you're unlucky.

grin.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDcOKK7CCPo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDcOKK7CCPo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

How many times do I have to type this?

Just shoot the fucker.

Life is to short to worry about that shit...and cleaning.

But, I eat ketchup on my hotdogs...so, I am appearantly a retard.

Mustard, sweet relish & onions on a hot dog
Mustard, ketchup & onions on a hamburger.
Period!
grin.gif

I cannot believe the argument about Ketchup, everyone knows all you need on a GOOD hotdog is slaw and chili!

madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot believe the argument about Ketchup, everyone knows all you need on a GOOD hotdog is slaw and chili!

madd0c </div></div>

This man. He knows what he is talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chili Dogs, Classic... Hot Ketchup w/ extra spices and meat thrown in for good measure. </div></div>

Sir,

Much Respect, but THIS is a Hot Dog. No Ketchup.

SSPX0100.jpg

So another break in the barrel thread huh?
laugh.gif

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chili Dogs, Classic... Hot Ketchup w/ extra spices and meat thrown in for good measure. </div></div>

Sir,

SSPX0100.jpg

</div></div>

You have RAW Ketchup right on top... two pieces of it ... once all that mixes in your belly, it's Ketchup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chili Dogs, Classic... Hot Ketchup w/ extra spices and meat thrown in for good measure. </div></div>

Sir,

SSPX0100.jpg

</div></div>

Sorry bro,

when I see stuff like that I just think of the great turd that will make.

kind of like these type of questions.

Big and steamy.

John

Awesome. From barrel break in to, damn I am hungry!

Ketchup, catsup, etc. is for fries only. Unless you are under 10 years old
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome. From barrel break in to, damn I am hungry!
</div></div>

Actually to the toilet...I like 3 layered variety with soft and silky touch...

Sir,

SSPX0100.jpg

</div></div>

Pickle sandwich?

About the only good thing to come out of Chicago is the Italian Beef sandwich. Rob has it right, chili cheese FTW

Barrel Break-in? Only useful on factory produced barrels and maybe not even then.

Hot dogs? Ketchup, mustard and relish.

Polish sausage? Sauerkraut and mustard.

FAQ covers most everything else.

Ketchup on a hot dog is just sinful dammit

See how much better this thread got with just a simple condiment discussion!!!
laugh.gif

Damn...2hrs 'til lunch!!

So much awesome in this thread!

Mods, you have no sense of humor. That video was pure hilarity. Clearly NOBODY understood what the 'Hide is about. Precision rifle work is all about the shooter, not about the gun.

To the OP: You need to be worried. After all, "harmonic oscillations… it's all about the break-in". I'll give you $300.00.

Hotdogs were made for ketchup. Doing it any other way should be a crime.

-Chris