• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Forgot to follow "1 shot/1 clean" break in

Re: Forgot to follow "1 shot/1 clean" break in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mods, you have no sense of humor. That video was pure hilarity. Clearly NOBODY understood what the 'Hide is about. Precision rifle work is all about the shooter, not about the gun.

</div></div>

I have a great sense of humor but maybe when you are around here longer and have to see idiots post stupid shit then you will learn where I am coming from.

Nobody is not here any longer. If he knew what the Hide was about he would be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See how much better this thread got with just a simple condiment discussion!!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

smile.gif

Glad this thread could be re-purposed into something useful.
wink.gif

Hell, I may have to grill up some dogs this weekend now...

I did last night, and this post came to mind.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahh, chili is another story. Everything is better with chili! </div></div>

Correction. Everything is better with bacon!

I think the ketchup vs mustard on a hot dog is a local thing.

Up here in Central NY, my Grandkids put ketchup on their dogs. I simply cringe and shudder.

I grew up alternating between two households in Queens and Bronx NY, and that was mustard and sauerkraut country, hands down. Nathan's flatly refuses to serve a dog with ketchup, period.

The dogs of my youth were Hebrew Nationals from the Zion Deli in the Morrisania neighborhood on 167th St just off Grand Concourse in the Bronx, with Horseradish Mustard and Crisp Kraut. Us kids used to walk to the games in the old Yankee Stadium.

Greg

As a follow to the new direction this thread has taken after the monotonous "barrel break-in" question was given its fair due, it seems pretty important to categorize <span style="font-style: italic">specific brands</span> of ketchup and mustard people are using on their dogs. I like a good dog or brat with ketchup, mustard (1:1), sweet relish, and onions. Having said that, it HAS to be Heinz ketchup and French's mustard. Hunt's, Del Monte, or store brands simply won't do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Pickle sandwich?

About the only good thing to come out of Chicago is the Italian Beef sandwich. Rob has it right, chili cheese FTW </div></div>

There is a hotdog in there somewhere... it was damn good too.

Love Chili and Cheese on them, but never ketchup, tomatoes are not the same. Texture and taste. I've seen people kicked out of dog joints for even asking.

It's a regional thing for sure, but if you ever have the chance head to Murphy's Redhots on Belmont and Racine in Chicago... It's not too far from Wrigley field. Their chili dogs are top notch but their grilled Chicago dog is something that you will want to have again. Don't ask them to put ketchup on it.. and don't let them see you do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You younger shooters may not know the name but here is info from a premier figure in shooting:

Barrel break-in per Gale McMillan:

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

I've lost the link to Gale's archives but this repeats it. </div></div>

It would be pretty sad if you frequent this site and don't know who he is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a follow to the new direction this thread has taken after the monotonous "barrel break-in" question was given its fair due, it seems pretty important to categorize <span style="font-style: italic">specific brands</span> of ketchup and mustard people are using on their dogs. I like a good dog or brat with ketchup, mustard (1:1), sweet relish, and onions. Having said that, it HAS to be Heinz ketchup and French's mustard. Hunt's, Del Monte, or store brands simply won't do. </div></div>

You sir are correct that there is only one type of ketchup and that indeed is <span style="font-weight: bold">Heinz</span>! You will have to excuse my regional bias since I grew up North of Pittsburgh. Coincidentally many people in that area view just ketchup on a hot dog as perfectly acceptable for children and adults alike. I have nothing against topping a hot dog with any other combination of condiments <span style="font-weight: bold">except</span> for topping a hot dog with a salad like the one pictured previously in the post.
grin.gif

This thread is made of pure win. Both informative, and hilarious. I think I'm going to just shoot the thing, and forget about counting rounds, or cleaning after X amount of rounds. I'll just clean it thoroughly after every range trip.

For the record:

1. There is but only 1 ketchup, and that is Heinz. All others, are but pale imitators

2. All you Chicagoers need to get off my lawn. I'll put Heinz on my hotdog and I'll enjoy it dammit.

My hotdog (Not bratwurst, kielbasa, or sausage):

Most important, the hotdog has to be Hebrew National or Nathans. Nothing else will do.

Mustard on half. Ketchup on half.

Onions on the whole thing. Relish on the ketchup side.

If there is chili and cheese, then all rules go out the window and the entire dog is covered with the stuff. That's how we do it down South.

But then..., there's Jimmie Buff's.

After departing NYC, we moved to Newark. The rest is legend...

...Oh, and I forgot to mention Rutt's Hut. ("Two Rippers and a Beer here..."). Stay away from their kraut, they add caraway. Keck!

I keep Hebrew National Reduced Fat dogs in the house, one of the low cholesterol diet's greatest secrets..., Kraut and coarse ground mustard on buttered (...I Can't Believe..., etc.) toast. Heaven.

Greg

While it does not seem right I kinda like a bit of ketchup on my hot dogs to.

photo_34_2.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chili Dogs, Classic... Hot Ketchup w/ extra spices and meat thrown in for good measure. </div></div>

Sir,

Much Respect, but THIS is a Hot Dog. No Ketchup.

SSPX0100.jpg

</div></div>

Are you a friggin retard? Why would you put salad on a friggin hot dog?

There is so much other shit there you can barely see the hotdog. I bet thats not even a hot dog made with real meat, its probably some tofu dog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You younger shooters may not know the name but here is info from a premier figure in shooting:

I love when this gets posted. Lets start asking stock makers about barrel production.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You younger shooters may not know the name but here is info from a premier figure in shooting:

I love when this gets posted. Lets start asking stock makers about barrel production.</div></div>

D'uh,

you should stick to commenting on Hot Dogs and not who Gale McMillan is... he was a World Class Benchrest Shooter, Rifle Builder, Optical Sight Engineer, and was known for Barrels... among other things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gale McMillan, of McMillan Stocks fame, was one of the finest barrel-makers and benchrest shooters of all time. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chili Dogs, Classic... Hot Ketchup w/ extra spices and meat thrown in for good measure. </div></div>

Sir,

SSPX0100.jpg

</div></div>

There is so much other shit there you can barely see the hotdog. I bet thats not even a hot dog made with real meat, its probably some tofu dog.
</div></div>

To be fair, hotdogs in general are far from "real meat". It's probably the fakest meat you can get.

That's a Chicago dog though. Might not look like much, but it's delicious.

Does anyone have any Grey Poupon? I like the hotter kind....

I use barrel break-in procedures on anything I'm going to use for benchrest. Otherwise it isn't going to help as much getting the job done right in the first place. The amount of accuracy that barrel break-in may help isn't going change the skills you the shooter are going to need when it comes to long range shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

To your inquiry:
1. No.
2. It's quite tasty. I usually have lettuce in my salad so salad it is not. Tomatoes, onions, peppers, mustard and a pickle is not that outrageous.
3. True but I assure you the hotdog is there.
4. You would lose that bet.
tofu dog is not a hot dog, maybe some reading comprehension lessons in your future? Who's the retard?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Does anyone have any Grey Poupon</span>? I like the hotter kind....

I use barrel break-in procedures on anything I'm going to use for benchrest. Otherwise it isn't going to help as much getting the job done right in the first place. The amount of accuracy that barrel break-in may help isn't going change the skills you the shooter are going to need when it comes to long range shooting. </div></div>

Listen here fancy pants, you can take your Grey Poopon back to mamby pamby land. This is American and we use yellow mustard, preferably French's!
wink.gif
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Does anyone have any Grey Poupon</span>? I like the hotter kind....</div></div>

No, but since this is AMERICA...I do have some French's Horseradish Mustard. It is even in a squeeze bottle!!! None of that Gray Poop-on crap will be found in my home!!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really thought this would be one of those posts with a title to throw us off, then when you click on it there would be a photo of a 10 shot 1/4moa group from a non-broken-in barrel.

Too bad it was a serious question. </div></div>

The "summer freshmen" with their snipery questions have spoiled us, I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chili Dogs, Classic... Hot Ketchup w/ extra spices and meat thrown in for good measure. </div></div>

Sir,

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/Inogame/SSPX0100.jpg

</div></div>

</div></div>

To be fair, hotdogs in general are far from "real meat". It's probably the fakest meat you can get.

That's a Chicago dog though. Might not look like much, but it's delicious. </div></div>

Superdawg in Chicago land FTM-FW! Otherwise, gimme a Sabrett's anywhere in the Northeast, with red onions and mustard, or if in North Jersey, a ripper at Rutt's, or a Hoffman snappy in NYS. Every place has "signature dogs," so love the one you're with. I still wanna try a Sonora Dog one day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
you should stick to commenting on Hot Dogs and not who Gale McMillan is... he was a World Class Benchrest Shooter, Rifle Builder, Optical Sight Engineer, and was known for Barrels... among other things. </div></div>

While Gale did make record setting barrels for a short time, as did most of the McMillan family, Pat was really the one who took to it the most. That aside, Gale's tirade against barrel break in was pointed at the 100 shot break in on a custom barrel, not the 10-20 shots that I see recommended most of the time for production barrels.

I can name more than just one well known figure that believes in barrel break in though, Dan Lilja, John Krieger, and Mike Rock for starters. I'd love to see some of the clowns in here hem and haw at one of those guys about barrel break in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Does anyone have any Grey Poupon</span>? I like the hotter kind....</div></div>

No, but since this is AMERICA...I do have some French's Horseradish Mustard. It is even in a squeeze bottle!!! None of that Gray Poop-on crap will be found in my home!!
wink.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Does anyone have any Grey Poupon</span>? I like the hotter kind....

I use barrel break-in procedures on anything I'm going to use for benchrest. Otherwise it isn't going to help as much getting the job done right in the first place. The amount of accuracy that barrel break-in may help isn't going change the skills you the shooter are going to need when it comes to long range shooting. </div></div>

Listen here fancy pants, you can take your Grey Poopon back to mamby pamby land. This is American and we use yellow mustard, preferably French's!
wink.gif
grin.gif
</div></div>

Well since you guys don't like my snobby mustard...here you go:

DSC_0521.jpg

That's definitely more American...especially the Jet-Puffed Jumbos (frantic digging can be heard as I rummage through the pantry looking for the wife's stash of Hershey bars and Graham crackers for S'mores)!!
wink.gif

you put mustard on your marshmallows too??? Here i thought I was all alone on this one..
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
you should stick to commenting on Hot Dogs and not who Gale McMillan is... he was a World Class Benchrest Shooter, Rifle Builder, Optical Sight Engineer, and was known for Barrels... among other things. </div></div>

While Gale did make record setting barrels for a short time, as did most of the McMillan family, Pat was really the one who took to it the most. That aside, Gale's tirade against barrel break in was pointed at the 100 shot break in on a custom barrel, not the 10-20 shots that I see recommended most of the time for production barrels.

I can name more than just one well known figure that believes in barrel break in though, Dan Lilja, John Krieger, and Mike Rock for starters. I'd love to see some of the clowns in here hem and haw at one of those guys about barrel break in.</div></div>

How many custom barrels have you tried and NOT Broken in... ? I have NOT broken in more barrels than I have needed to clean because of fouling at the start. Its been close to 1 in 10 for not needed to do it. (I am well into double digits)

As well I took two brand new identical TRG 22 rifles and broke in one and not the other... you cannot tell any difference between the two.

So, other than, "because he said so", what evidence / experience to you have to back up the practice ?

Barrel break in benefits the Barrel Maker ... enough said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you put mustard on your marshmallows too??? Here i thought I was all alone on this one..
smile.gif
</div></div>

Only when nobody is looking.

Speaking of which Us 'barrel breaker-inner's' are going to need to crawl under a rock again.
shocked.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

No, whatever floats your boat, hot dogs with ketchup, Mustard, -- you need only satisfy yourself.

however in regards to breaking in, we have already had people, such as gunsmiths who include a break in procedure come out and publicly state it was for no other reason then, people expected it and it kept the phone from ringing like when they didn't provide it.

For me, I like a little Ketchup on my Hot Dog, I make no apologies for it and if you want to douche your bore over 20, 30, 40 rounds or more, that is your business not mine. I just shoot and use a little Wipe Out when i get home. Unless it specifically asks me for something else, as I listen to what it says.

Chili does negate the Ketchup though, I want to be on record with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I can name more than just one well known figure that believes in barrel break in though, Dan Lilja, John Krieger, and Mike Rock for starters. I'd love to see some of the clowns in here hem and haw at one of those guys about barrel break in.</div></div>

How many custom barrels have you tried and NOT Broken in... ? I have NOT broken in more barrels than I have needed to clean because of fouling at the start. Its been close to 1 in 10 for not needed to do it. (I am well into double digits)

As well I took two brand new identical TRG 22 rifles and broke in one and not the other... you cannot tell any difference between the two.

So, other than, "because he said so", what evidence / experience to you have to back up the practice ?

Barrel break in benefits the Barrel Maker ... enough said. </div></div>

Gale McMillan not only set a conspicuous record...HE STILL HOLDS IT! The best five shot group ever recorded at 100 yds. .009"

Yes, you read and see that correctly, nine thousandths of an inch between the centers of five different shots.

As far as break-in goes it HAS proven itself at the bench where small amounts of accuracy matter a great deal. In the tactical shooting world the amount break-in can help is minimal. At most it's going to tighten up your group .2MOA <span style="color: #3333FF">( a very generous allowance at that)</span>. Converted to 1k shooting, that is 2" @ 1000 yds. Most of us definately aren't that accurate.

So what it really boils down to is the discipline you shoot in. I see no need to break in barrels in tactical or competition military or high power shooting. Although, I don't see it hurting your barrel unless you shoot a cartridge that is definitely a barrel burner. If you can't afford 20-50 rounds to break in a barrel I would think about a less destructive round for your needs rather than blast break in voodoo. You probably waste more rounds than that when you put a dipstick behind your rig and try to teach them how to shoot.

I do see it helping if you shoot tight little groups and want to shave some thousandths off your groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, whatever floats your boat, hot dogs with ketchup, Mustard, -- you need only satisfy yourself.

however in regards to breaking in, we have already had people, such as gunsmiths who include a break in procedure come out and publicly state it was for no other reason then, people expected it and it kept the phone from ringing like when they didn't provide it.

For me, I like a little Ketchup on my Hot Dog, I make no apologies for it and if you want to douche your bore over 20, 30, 40 rounds or more, that is your business not mine. I just shoot and use a little Wipe Out when i get home. Unless it specifically asks me for something else, as I listen to what it says.

Chili does negate the Ketchup though, I want to be on record with that. </div></div>

I recall a trade show where I listened to a rep from a certain very well known rifle manufacturer tell a pair of SWAT snipers the "manufacturer recommended break-in procedure" to make them happy, and then turn around a minute later and confess "Yeah, we just say that to get them to shut up and go shoot their rifles and leave us alone. It makes no difference either way, but they expect and demand a factory procedure, so we'll just give them what they want."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, other than, "because he said so", what evidence / experience to you have to back up the practice?</div></div>
A lot of production barrels can have a multitude of tooling marks in them, anyone who's looked through a production barrel with a borescope knows this. By firing rounds, you're smoothing out those tooling marks, by cleaning you're making sure that copper from the jackets and powder fouling doesn't build up in them. If you don't, that'll build up to a varying degree and affect accuracy. How many times do you hear people say that after cleaning their barrel, they have to wait until it "settles down" and shoots to POA? Cleaning that barrel removes some of the copper, but not all of it, so you have to wait for it to "settle", which is really just fouling filling up the portions that you just removed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many custom barrels have you tried and NOT Broken in... ? I have NOT broken in more barrels than I have needed to clean because of fouling at the start. Its been close to 1 in 10 for not needed to do it. (I am well into double digits)</div></div>
I never said custom barrels, just production barrels. Any quality custom barrel is going to be hand lapped before it leaves the shop, no need for break in as it's already been done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As well I took two brand new identical TRG 22 rifles and broke in one and not the other... you cannot tell any difference between the two.</div></div>
I have no doubt that Sako makes a great rifle, it's more than possible that their standards are higher than say Winchester or Remington, and that they used a reamer that hadn't dulled yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel break in benefits the Barrel Maker ... enough said.</div></div>
Let's say a barrels life is 3000 rounds, those 20 rounds would be less than 1% of the barrels life. That's hardly contributing to extra barrels purchased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gale McMillan not only set a conspicuous record...HE STILL HOLDS IT! The best five shot group ever recorded at 100 yds. .009"</div></div>
That was Millard McMillan actually, not Gale.

Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that LL's dog likes ketchup? Mine likes peanut butter..

As for the barrel, I wouldn't worry about it bud. Just shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gale McMillan not only set a conspicuous record...HE STILL HOLDS IT! The best five shot group ever recorded at 100 yds. .009"</div></div>
That was Millard McMillan actually, not Gale.</div></div>

You are correct sir, that was Millard "Mac" McMillan.

He was a brother of Gale McMillan and the rifle was built by Mac and the barrel was made by Pat.

I got broke in good when I axed the barrel "break in" question as a newbie. If only it had turned into a question of weener toppings for me..........

Bbl break in, shoot a match. Cleaning, I clean my .308 every 300 rounds. My .223 every 100 to 150 rounds and my 7mm Saum every 75 rounds.