• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Formula to convert inches to mil at given distance?

nedceifus

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2013
Martell NE
Is there a way to convert inches to mil at a givin distance? I am 3.5" high at 402yds. Id like to correct this mathematically before I go out again.

Gross conceptual error

Your height doesn't change regardless of the distance

Target ACTUAL height in inches x 27.8 / distance to target in yards = mils subtended by target

How tall are you?

Not having to deal with inches is tge while point of MILs....

but to answer your question........1/10 MIL =~ .33 inches at 100 yds.

so youd need to adjust ~3/10 MIL for your correction

You have a calibrated ruler 3" in front of your nose, I suggest using the ruler to measure the distance, (range is irrelevant) and make the adjustments that way

Exactly the answer. Forget inches and use the reticle.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Are you trying to figure out what a man-size target subtends in mils at a given distance? If so, do what Lowlight said

Are you trying to range a man sized target? If so, do what Lowlight said to measure the height of the target in mils then plug that in the formula I gave you and solve for distance to target.

Is there a way to convert inches to mil at a givin distance? I am 3.5" high at 402yds. Id like to correct this mathematically before I go out again.

When I said that (I) am 3.5" high at 402 yds I meant....
I am just starting out with a gun. I have an unknown muzzle velocity. I gave my Applied Ballistics app the muzzle velocity off the box to start out with (2700fps)
I was shooting at a 500yd range with limited light left in the day, the 400yd line was going to be easier to see as I was shooting towards the west.
I dialed 2mil as stated by my solver.
My shot group was 3.5" high at that distance, 402yds.
I am going out again this weekend & will be able to get out to greater distances but thought if I could tweak my muzzle velocity a little bit closer, with the information I had, I would.

Sure, and has been explained if you look at the reticle you can measure the gap between POA and POI and then adjust. For example (guessing you have a mil/mil) your POI should have been slightly greater then two tenths. You can hold down .2 or dial down .2 or adjust your solver correction by 2 tenths (actually 2.5) of a mil. You don't need math to make the adjustment, use your reticle.

Lowlight, Rob and Extremeprejudice have all identified the correct way to do it but if you want the math for your situation; it is

3.5/(4.02*3.63)=0.24 mils

When I said that (I) am 3.5" high at 402 yds I meant....
I am just starting out with a gun. I have an unknown muzzle velocity. I gave my Applied Ballistics app the muzzle velocity off the box to start out with (2700fps)
I was shooting at a 500yd range with limited light left in the day, the 400yd line was going to be easier to see as I was shooting towards the west.
I dialed 2mil as stated by my solver.
My shot group was 3.5" high at that distance, 402yds.
I am going out again this weekend & will be able to get out to greater distances but thought if I could tweak my muzzle velocity a little bit closer, with the information I had, I would.

2750 will be closer to your actual MV based on those numbers

There is a good app to use and learn with:
"Easy MOA & MIL Calculator"
But as others have said, don't think, "I'm 3.5" high", measure it with the reticle, in this case you're 0.2-mils high.

Attachments

• photo69098.png
    photo69098.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited: