• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster Co-Ax Shellholder Jaws don't open and close

Keizer09

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2013
Austin, TX
I may be an idiot and am missing the obvious---but the shellholder jaws on my press won't automatically open or close---they stay closed. I can manually open them.

I haven't tried it with a die yet as I just mounted the press yesterday. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, springs are installed---essentially, the jaws won't open. I'll try loose I g the screws again. Thanks

There is a long, black pointed rod between the two stainless rods. "It adjusts the amount the lower Shellholder Jaws open to accept cases when the press operating handle is raised to its uppermost position. Adjust the height of this screw so the shellholder jaws will completely open when the handle is in the full UP position against overhead stops. CAUTION, setting the screw in too high a position could damage the shellholder housing (#37) when the handle is pushed all the way up."

There is a long, black pointed rod between the two stainless rods. "It adjusts the amount the lower Shellholder Jaws open to accept cases when the press operating handle is raised to its uppermost position.

Adjust the pointed rod.

Yes, behind the automatic shellholder is a threaded rod with a tapered point. Screw it up towards the shellholder until it just opens the jaws enough to allow the case head to go in. You will have to adjust this rod for different case head diameters. The tapered point opens the jaws and the springs close them. Careful changing the jaws from small to large as the springs easily pop out and go any which way. For what it's worth, I took the shellholder apart on my new press and lightly stoned the surfaces on all parts to remove any burrs and my jaws operated more smoothly. The blued steel spacer holes are punched out and there was a slight burr and raised area around the punched holes. Jaws would still operate but got smoother after stoning all parts with a smooth stone.

Last edited:
There is a long, black pointed rod between the two stainless rods. "It adjusts the amount the lower Shellholder Jaws open to accept cases when the press operating handle is raised to its uppermost position. Adjust the height of this screw so the shellholder jaws will completely open when the handle is in the full UP position against overhead stops. CAUTION, setting the screw in too high a position could damage the shellholder housing (#37) when the handle is pushed all the way up."

Yep. This is the answer.

The black threaded and pointed rod will fix it. Mine came with that rod screwed all the way down and jaws would not open. In fact, mine was so far down it punched a hole in the top of the spent primer catcher.

Careful changing the jaws from small to large as the springs easily pop out and go any which way.

Put a little grease in the slot the springs slide in and it will hold them in place when you take the assembly apart.