• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

forster coax press issue

fish30114

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2010
Canton Georgia
My forster coax press has always had a bit of 'cant' to the case as it grabbed it in the shellholder jaws at the start of the lowering of the ram. It has now gottten to be pretty inconsistent, and about 3/10 cases are off enough that the case hits the side of the die instead of inserting close enough to center. I removed the spring loaded jaw assembly, cleaned and lubed it, and nothing changed. I can't detect any wear that would induce this amount of cant--just wondering if anyone has experienced and corrected this issue--or knows what is up and how to fix it.

I love my coax, and have had it about 7 or 8 years. I have had this issue ocassionally, but it is happening to often now, so I want to fix it now.

Re: forster coax press issue

Is your wear plate shot?

You using the correct jaws for your cartridge?

Is the retainer for the jaws loose? Make sure the beveled edge of the jaws is up too.

I have a similar issue with mine although not to the same degree as yours. I think I've read about this issue before and the suggestion was that the two springs were not of equal strength. The solution therefore was to cut a coil off the stronger of the springs to equalise the pressure.

I haven't done this with mine and probably wouldn't unless I had some spare springs. I'd also fire an email to Forster explaining the problem too and asking for advice.

Yeh i would ask Forster... such a nice press like a co-ax should not continue on with problems.

You may try this:
1. Jaws clean and free to move? Check that screws attaching shell holder jaws are not too tight causing one jaw to bind. Is one jaw bent?

2. Springs not distorted and equal length? Do they have enough force to close the jaws correctly? Stretch them if you need to.

3. Centering screw adjusted correctly? What about the tapered pin that opens the jaws? Check that the shell holder jaws center correctly and open just wide enough for cartridge case. The jaws should close on the cartridge case and the centering pin should center the case, but not prevent the jaws from closing on the case.

4. Jaws in correctly; right jaws for cartridge?

I strongly suspect #1 or #3. I do not think that #2 would cause your problem as the centering screw controls this provided one jaw is not binding.

Watch the case and jaws closely, you should be able to see why it is not centering. Go slow and stop the press; wiggle the case at various places in the stroke if you need to. The adjusting screws and free floating jaws control centering.

Do you have the instructions for the press? You can get them here:

pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/forster_coaxpress.pdf

Good shooting
Ron

Thanks for the feedback, I have looked at all the above, and don't think any of these are the issue, but Ron, you touch on something I think I may be missing--I do not know what the 'centering pin' is. The only pin I am aware of is the adjustable jaw opening screw.

The only thing that would be in the center of the case head would be the primer retaining tube...I have loosened the screws on either side of the jaws slightly--the interesting thing is that this has developed over time, so I suspect something has worn, the plate underneath the jaws looks OK, and it doesn't change if I vary the amount of opening of the jaws, from just barely enough to plenty of room for the case head. It's the same size jaw and setup just like always...I need to grasp what the 'centering' screw is....just looked on the PDF manual--can't discern it.

Well, it looks like progress has made me irrelevant and left me behind in the dust.

Both of my coax presses have the centering screw shown in photo 6 on the pdf I listed above.

At some point Foster has discontinued it.

Forster's web site coax instructions parts list shows a diagram line between #34 and #45 where the centering screw should be, but there is no part listed.

If you don't have a centering screw, that means that the jaw springs will have to balance and center the case within the limits of movement of the jaw housing.

I checked on my coax and I could move the jaw housing enough to make the case hit the side of the die, or bring it back to the center without using the centering screw.

Double check your jaws to make sure that they are symmetrical about the case and are the correct end of the correct jaws for the case. The jaws are poorly marked by Forster, so it is easy to have one jaw set for a larger or smaller case, or to have one upside down.

Try putting a case in the jaws and bring it up into the die far enough to center it before you tighten the two screws on the jaw housing.

These are GOOD presses, tough and dependable.

Remember you can bend the jaw housing by adjusting the jaw opening screw up too far.

If you are unable to adjust the jaw housing so the case hits the die on center every time, you have a problem(s) with the jaws, springs, jaw housing or attaching screws; replace all of them with new ones.

Good shooting
Ron

what brass and caliber are you shooting???

I had the same problem with lapua .30-06 brass...Called forster started to tell them the problem and they immediately asked me if I was using lapua brass in .30-06.

They stated it's a known problem and it has to do with the slight case head dimension difference in the lapua brass. They had me send my jaws in to them and they sent them back to me within the week.

I'm not exactly sure what they did but, My brass no longer tilts when the jaws close.

I don't know what brass you're using but I would guess that there are other brands of brass that might have the same problem.

I have noticed a similar occurrence as well. I determined it was due to little burrs from the extractor on the rim

Has anyone made their own shellholder jaw housing to cover a larger footprint area? As with many people, I stuck a case in the die, but also bent the shellholder jaw housing, broke the jaws and button head screws. Ended up purchasing the new jaws from Forster and getting the machine head screws at the hardware store. Hammered back the bent jaw housing to somewhat of a flat condition.
Also is it possible to enlarge the holes for the primer drop tube and replace with a larger diameter tube? Had problems with getting spent primers clogged up so I just removed the drop tube and drop primers into trash can.

A little off subject but does anyone know anything about LC 7.62 NATO brass?

Have you ever needed to reverse the jaws for a different case size, such as going from a .308 to a .223 case?
If you haven't, try it and see what happens. That should show you if there's a problem with the contact surfaces of the jaws themselves being worn or out of specs, or if there's a problem somewhere else in the assembly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 79M1a-texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone made their own shellholder jaw housing to cover a larger footprint area? As with many people, I stuck a case in the die, but also bent the shellholder jaw housing, broke the jaws and button head screws. Ended up purchasing the new jaws from Forster and getting the machine head screws at the hardware store. Hammered back the bent jaw housing to somewhat of a flat condition.
Also is it possible to enlarge the holes for the primer drop tube and replace with a larger diameter tube? Had problems with getting spent primers clogged up so I just removed the drop tube and drop primers into trash can.
</div></div>

I know a member posted here a while back with custom made jaw holder plate that encapsulated the jaws/springs for easier swapping.

Use imperial wax and you'll never have a stuck case again. ... ever.

As for the primer tube, don't worry about them getting clogged in there. Mine does it too, but the force of the next primer getting squished into the tube pushes them out. Eventually they'll all fall out as they are suppose to.

Removing the tube removes a key feature of the co-ax. The carbon/junk from spent primers is VERY abrasive and when it gets on your ram arms, will "sand" away on the press over time. I'd highly recommend leaving it on.

I managed to slightly bend the shellholder jaw housing on my Co-Ax by being a little too forceful with a stuck case, and had some occasional poor shell holds until I pulled it off and flattened it out again.

Guys....If you have a stuck case with the forster...There's no reason at all to pull down and force it out!!! just use your fingers and open up the jaws, remove your die with the case in the die.

Then use your stuck case remover and take the case out....RCBS Stuck case removal kit is only 15.00 last time I checked. Easy to use.

or..just use imperial sizing wax appropriately and don't worry about stuck cases anymore
smile.gif

Ron,

I thought Forster removed the jaw centering screw starting with the B3 (larger handle yoke) version. This is the first I've heard of a Co-Ax press 7 or 8 years old (obviously before the B3) that did not have it. Mine is about that age, and has the centering screw.

Fish,

Check to see if your guide block has a vertical, threaded hole in front of the primer tube. If so, that's where the centering screw goes. The centering screw looks like a short version of the jaw opening screw, with a tapered tip, except it threads into the guide block, not the press frame. You adjust it so that it stops the jaws from closing any further just as they hit the bottom of the extractor groove. This keeps either jaw from pushing past center on the cartridge, regardless of whether the springs are balanced or not. You can call Forster and see if they still have them. I don't know if the B3's still have the threaded hole or not.

Andy

The blue steel spacer has holes punched into it. Mine had slight raised areas on the opposite side where the hole was punched. The spacer was causing one jaw to drag and it got worse with a little debris. I took a smooth stone and stoned the high marks on the spacer and lightly touched the jaws, cleaned the entire mechanism and it's silky smooth now. I'd check out the blue steel spacer.

Thanks folks, good intel here. The interesting thing is that it does it with all cases intermittently. For example, can lower the ram on the same case 10 times, and 3 or 4 times it will grip it cockeyed. I will check on the assembly again, it looks fine, and the wear plate looks good, but I did NOT check the edges of the holes in the wear plate, simply because it has worked so good for so long.

I do not recall a threaded hole for a centering pin, but the practical description of it makes sense.

Forster has asked me for some of my cases--which is irrelevant in my case, as every type and caliber of case I use has this issue...and for my jaws to be shipped to them. I use this press at least every other day (I load 20-150 or so at a time, several times a week)so I don't want to be without my press that long, I will get another set of jaws before I send mine in.

I have never stuck a case in a die with this press...I may have inadvertently raised the ram and had the jaw opening adjustment screw raised to far, but I sure don't recall it, and frankly, have only adjusted it once, high enough that the jaws would just accomodate a WSM case, and I haven't touched it intentionally since as it works with all other case sizes I load for, including 204 Ruger.

I will check on the jaws squareness again, and also look at the edges of the holes in the wear plate....curiouser and curiouser!

3 or 4 times it will grip it cockeyed

If by cockeyed you mean that the case is not properly seated in the jaws; the reasons I see for that happening are:

1. Springs weak not forcing the jaws closed. Fix: replace springs or stretch them out so they put enough pressure on jaws.

2. Jaws dragging so springs don't get enough force on the case to center it properly. Fix: Find where it is binding. Put the jaws in without the springs, lower the handle so as to clear the jaw opening screw and move them by finger; are both jaws perfectly free to move side to side. Do they come together at the center in a symmetrical way? Do they have excessive motion front to back or up and down? When you tightened the two screws on the jaw housing did one jaw start to bind? Are the screws too loose letting a spring loop slip under the jaw?

3. Rough spots on the case or jaws that prevent the case from centering. Fix: Polish jaw rough spots smooth.

When you spot a cockeyed case, take your finger and push it straight; note what moved. That should be your problem.

good shooting
Ron

Dang, this makes me feel truly blessed for not having a lick of trouble with my Co-Ax in forty years. For those other old coots: it has 'Bonanza' cast into the frame, and I bought it through GSS. Bonus fogey points for those who can remember what GSS stood for, or ever went through their catalog.

HomebrewForstershellholderjawhou-2.jpg

I had a problem with the springs flying when I changed jaws.

I had a problem with the shell holder jaw housing getting bent from pulling stuck cases out of the sizer die. Once it is bent with a hump in the middle, each case must be hand guided into the die. The housings are just cast steel with thin edges.

So I made some shell holder jaw housings.

Can you see how those springs are not going anywhere?

Can you see how that shell holder jaw housing is not going to bend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HomebrewForstershellholderjawhou-2.jpg

I had a problem with the springs flying when I changed jaws.

I had a problem with the shell holder jaw housing getting bent from pulling stuck cases out of the sizer die. Once it is bent with a hump in the middle, each case must be hand guided into the die. The housings are just cast steel with thin edges.

So I made some shell holder jaw housings.

Can you see how those springs are not going anywhere?

Can you see how that shell holder jaw housing is not going to bend? </div></div>

Clark I do see the advantages of that housing--very nice. It is out of my ability, contact base, to build or have built one of those. I would be VERY interested to obtain one from you. If you are willing, just shoot me a message and I'd be happy to pay you for one if you would be willing to build me one, in fact two or three, I will have another Co-ax in my room eventually, and my best friend has one!

Ron, I looked and my press DOES have the centering screw. I fooled with it some and it helped--significantly--problem is, it will not reliably extract a case that has been full length resized with that pin engaged with the jaws....

My original owners manual is not the one you provided a link to, it doesn't even mention the centering screw--??. I was able to get MUCH better results by engaging the jaws with it slightly, but the manual says it is for bullet seating only, which I get, beause having the screw holding the jaws slightly apart, will make a huge difference in the shellholders ability to grip a case firmly, which is needed for sizing operations. Without that pin engaged, the shellholder simply grips the case inconsistently, and it tilts this way and that irregularly. I took the wear plate, shellholder jaws, and shellholder housing, and placed them on a flat steel machinists plate, and they look pretty square, not perfect mind you, but pretty square. I 'lapped' the shellholder jaws and wear plate on both sides with some diamond whetstones, and they smoothed up a little bit, but by the even wear patterns from the 'lapping', I'd say they aren't bent--certainly not significantly....I'm thinking the jaw Housing is the culprit, I don't know why it would be, but it sems to be the part of the equation that I can't verify, and if anything is bent, it could be that--again I have no idea how though....I put it on the machinists plate, and can't discern a lot of 'out of square' on it, but I put a heavy steel block on top of it, hammered on top of the steel block with a rubber mallet to try and square it up--did this both sides, maybe slightly more square, but no effect on the result....at this point I am going to run it with the centering screw pin engaged and order another set of jaws and springs as well as a new housing, assuming Forster will sell them to me....

Frustrating for sure, I really love my Coax, but this is a real PITA!

Ron, I looked and my press DOES have the centering screw. I fooled with it some and it helped--significantly--problem is, it will not reliably extract a case that has been full lenght resized with that pin engaged with the jaws....

You have the centering screw turned in too far; it only needs to locate the jaws, not hold them open.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Without that pin engaged, the shellholder simply grips the case inconsistently, and it tilts this way and that irregularly

This sounds like the jaws are not closing correctly or you have the wrong size jaws for the cartridge. Are the springs holding the jaws firmly together without a case in them? If not stretch the springs until they will hold the jaws firmly together.

------------------------------------------------------

I will have another Co-ax in my room eventually, and my best friend has one!

It is time for you to take your press and visit your buddy. He will have all of the spare parts you need to troubleshoot your press and another set of eyes to watch for the problem.

-----------------------------------------------

I am going to run it with the centering screw pin engaged and order another set of jaws and springs as well as a new housing, assuming Forster will sell them to me....

Forster will gladly sell you all of the parts you want; it is a good idea to have a set of spares on hand anyway.

To clarify what Ron said about adjusting the centering screw:

It should hold the jaws slightly open without a case in there (not wide enough to drop a case in). But it should just BARELY miss the jaws (on both sides) such that the jaws still close all the way into the extractor groove. Start with it adjusted up high such that the jaws don't completely close into the extractor groove. Then slowly back it out until both jaws stop simultaneously on the extractor groove, but no more.

I agree with Ron, If you have a friend with a co-ax (with the centering screw), you have a source of temporary spare parts to swap out to find the problem on yours (to be confirmed when you put your problem part into his press, and get the same problems you have been having), as well as an example of a press that does not have your problem.

Andy

Hey guys, good idea on cannibilizing my buddies press--don't know if his has the centering screw/pin or not. I will stretch my springs a bit just to see. I have parts on the way from Forster, slightly pricey to me, but what the heck..

I polished up my jaws and the wear plate and double checked the housing for squareness/deflection--looks pretty good. It worked slightly better after this, but not consistent still.
The only thing that really helps is having the centering pin in, and I expeimented, it has to be in to the extent that it holds the jaws slighly open on the front side, maybe 1/16" or so. I am really starting to wonder about the springs, but technically that makes no sense, I KNOW Forster didn't design the springs to be stetched beyond their limits of elasticity, and they just don't move that much, so barring rust or something--which mine don't look to be--they should last forever!

I'll let y'all know what I figure out, I will get a Coax up and running one way or the other!

I have a co-ax and like it alot.

I have the same problem sometimes and I think it is "un-square case heads" that are causing it. The least little bit of rim burs or trash will cause the case to not sit straight up and down. (just like my wife
laugh.gif
)

B

^This. Any deformation of rim or head will cause misalignment of the case. Any grunge beneath the case can do the same thing.

Well, it ain't the shellholder-jaws, got new one in from Midway on Tuesday, and have experimented to no end with 5 different calibers, at least two different case mfgs. per each caliber. Interestingly, it does not impart the tilt with WSM cases....presumably it's simply beacuse they have such a wide head, that the jaws don't close much to hold them, so they stay stable.....that may be a clue, I am guessing something with the 'jaw housing' but it sure looks straight, and the wear plate does as well, which I think I posted before.

I have new springs, Jaw housing and wear plate on the way from
Forster, it will be interesting to see if any of these impact the situation. I tried using my universal decapping die that I have always used in the Coax, with two different mfgs of cases in 270 Win, and no good! every other case at least was tilting some amount this way or that, and at least 40% hit the side of the die---I sure hope I don't end up having to send my whole press back to Forster--it just has to be something that wore, this thing worked so good for so long....I hate that it isn't in form, I have so many dies set up for it, that it is actually mucking up my loading for several rifles.....good thing our weather is so crappy, haven't been doing much shooting lately, or it would be griping me even more!!

We will see what's up when the parts get in...hopefully soon!

Well, parts got here from Forster. Tried them in series, new jaw housing on top of new jaws I put on yesterday, didn't fix the issue--maybe SLIGHTLY better. New wear plate and new jaws and new jaw housing a little better yet, but it is still not as good as new...I will try the new springs with all else later tonight, it is looking like it has been a little bit of everything, each piece of the puzzle has helped a small amount it seems, but no one thing has resulted in a drastic improvement. I am running it with the centering screw in right now and it works well. The worst results are with the 270 Win, which of course happens to be my favorite cartridge by a big margin!

I've got my original jaws, jaw housing, wear plate and several cases of various calibers and mfgs. I have had issues with boxed up to send back to forster, I will be very interested to see what they say about the situation.

to be continued......

You adjust the jaws to open just enough to get the shell in\out, after that adjust the centering screw to fine tune it, but IMHO these really have no bearing on operation, just tuning, have you checked to see what concentricity is doing before and after each step?

Well, it looks like progress has made me irrelevant and left me behind in the dust.

Remember you can bend the jaw housing by adjusting the jaw opening screw up too far.

Good shooting
Ron

This is very good advice...just learned it the hard way... (an unnecessary 19.99 later...)

They have special places to take co ax presses when they break down . They are called scrap metal bins.