• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Forward controls designs NVTS, anyone seen this yet?

Anderhammer52

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2019
North Las Vegas, NV
Saw this on my Instagram feed. Seems interesting and less of a PITA then messing with shims.
Screenshot_20230818_154509_Instagram.jpg

Cost is a little high, but I'd gladly pay it for the convenience of not having to mess with shims. And a set of KAC shims cost $21. So the NVTS may actually be a bargain.

Cost is a little high, but I'd gladly pay it for the convenience of not having to mess with shims. And a set of KAC shims cost $21. So the NVTS may actually be a bargain.
Surefire shims are $7 or were anyway and perfectly usable to the point of including a fix for improperly finished muzzle threads.

Reactions: msgriff
Surefire shims are $7 or were anyway and perfectly usable to the point of including a fix for improperly finished muzzle threads.
Yup, and DA shims are even cheaper. I think the lesson is how expensive KAC shims are.

It's expensive but in the grand scheme of things, if it works as easy as it looks and remains reliable without failing, I'll buy one for every single rifle going forward. F'n with shims is annoying - oops, not enough, take the brake off and put another one on - oops, that was a little too much, take the brake off and try again with a different shim, do this 5x and then realize DA/PWS never includes enough of the shim you need and open another pack while you have 14 of the other size you don't need.

I'd be interested to see what some suppressor manufacturers have to say whether or not they'd recommend using it with their muzzle devices or not. The sheer convince factor alone to me might be worth the price in the long run

Jesus some of you are some cheap fuckers. $25 for something like that is not expensive. That’s far more sophisticated and costly to make than shims. If you enjoy fucking with stacking and aligning shims then go for it. Personally I think the idea of something like this is great if it actually works.

That’s FCD’s shtick.
I have a good handful of their stuff and it's definitely top notch. Maybe a tad pricey but they do ship fast.

Side note; I've seen mentioned here and there lately that FCD had some kind of partnership with feds? Anyone know what that's about?

I have a good handful of their stuff and it's definitely top notch. Maybe a tad pricey but they do ship fast.

Side note; I've seen mentioned here and there lately that FCD had some kind of partnership with feds? Anyone know what that's about?
FCD has ATF, among other LEO agency, contract(s). Their principal said some tone-deaf things about it too.

FCD has ATF, among other LEO agency, contract(s). Their principal said some tone-deaf things about it too.
Understandable business wise. I would have expected better from them tone wise. Either way they make good stuff and I can't say anyone makes anything quite like theirs. I use their control parts in all my AR builds.

Length: 0.161 +0.003/-0.000 minimum, set to 12 o'clock, or 0 degrees. 0.194 +0.003/-0.000 maximum, set to 11 o'clock, or 330 degrees,

The plus 0.003" will be a no go for suppressor use.

Length: 0.161 +0.003/-0.000 minimum, set to 12 o'clock, or 0 degrees. 0.194 +0.003/-0.000 maximum, set to 11 o'clock, or 330 degrees,

The plus 0.003" will be a no go for suppressor use.

Why? It's an adjustable part - set it as you need it. Variation between one of them and the next doesn't matter. Were you thinking one part might vary .003" from one installation to the next? Or that .003" was about the flatness?

Regardless, just using shims is not that difficult. If you pay attention to the difference in clocking between one shim and the next, you can do some simple math and hit the target just like using mils in a scope. To make it even easier - for 1/2"-28 threads, .006" shim stackup will change timing by 1 wrench flat, or 1/6 turn. For 5/8"-24 threads, .007" shim = 1/6 turn.

I don't think it is as much about the 0.003" difference as I don't see any mention of both sides being parallel. That is the area it could be bad for suppressor use. Shim kits on the other hand don't have this issue.

Reactions: msgriff
Due to some bore constriction testing results done with muzzle devices torqued above 20 lb/ft, I'm not sure if the NVTS will have the gradations in thickness that I'm comfortable with for timing.

I don't think it is as much about the 0.003" difference as I don't see any mention of both sides being parallel. That is the area it could be bad for suppressor use. Shim kits on the other hand don't have this issue.
I'll probably poke it with a CMM during lunch once mine arrives, see what the surface flatness looks like. If I were a betting man I'd probably assume they're tolerancing for 0.0005 surface flatness, its the only way this design would work well.

Reactions: Yondering