• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

foster case trimmer a load of ****

dave338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
EU
ordered a foster case trimmer , the one that fits on a drill press , also ordered the hollow pointing tool,
thought it would be a fast way to trim, any way did a couple of cases , but you can see the cut is not square , put a 308 in with a vmax loaded and chucked a needle in the drill to line it all up , every time i rechuck the case it moves to a different point, very dissapointing,
if this could be fixed it could be one of the best trimmers around very fast to use ,
anyone used one ,any tips?

Re: foster case trimmer a load of ****

The hollow pointing tool is meant for use only on flat nose lead bullets. Found out from the factory before ordering one to hp a bunch of greek m2 ball.

Dunno about the drill press case trimmer, never tried it. I think it references against the casehead which is rarely square to the case axis so that might be it but I'm just guessing.

HTH, Pete

I'm going to rig one of my Forster mini lathes to a cordless drill chuck extension so I can trim 2000 plus cases (5.56) after crimp swaging. Doing that many by hand will be the death of me. I hope my mod works or I'll have to space the work out in batches!

Too bad you're having problems with your drill press set up. Have you called Forster?

the first sign something was up was when i used the hollow pointer on some lead 45acp it was miles off center , every time you rechuck the case its way off ,
i only tried a 308 vmax with a very very small drill bit to aline the set up , as it comes with a bar that lock into the collet not the best