• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Found this little buddy at my feet this morning when I opened my shop door.

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
After releasing a short stream of unprintable words, I checked his marking and found him to be a good friend.

ADC851E6-330E-46C6-A7E2-104AD8CC4ED4.jpeg
He moved a bit before I could get my camera.

Ran across a black snake on my way back from the chicken house the other night. About 3' long, maybe 3½' It's always amazed how fast almost stepping on a snake turns somebody into a professional athlete. You just never knew you could run or jump that high.

Bless his heart, he wasn't quick enough to outrun the dogs. Felt bad about it. They eat a lot of rodents. And we've got a boatload of mice this year for some reason.

Ran across a black snake on my way back from the chicken house the other night. About 3' long, maybe 3½' It's always amazed how fast almost stepping on a snake turns somebody into a professional athlete. You just never knew you could run or jump that high.

Bless his heart, he wasn't quick enough to outrun the dogs. Felt bad about it. They eat a lot of rodents. And we've got a boatload of mice this year for some reason.

Indigo snake, shame your dogs killed it. I encountered one while in a hide in a PR2 class.

Between almost stepping on a snake and walking through a spider web, these are the things that will turn anyone into a ninja

My best track event is the 100 yard dash in a blind panic!

Between almost stepping on a snake and walking through a spider web, these are the things that will turn anyone into a ninja

For the record, I HATE spiders. Hate em. Yes I know they eat bugs, yada yada. Outside, you may live. Inside - nope. I've discovered though that foam carpet cleaner kills most buggers like crickets, roaches, and small spiders (not wolfies) . So my landscaper wanted $350 to trim schrubs (some are about 8'), so Wednesday night grabbed shears, got to it. Dang if I didn't move quick just for a golden-orb weaver spider at almost eye level. Yes, it got to live and you can identify my house from those untrimmed bushes.

Last edited:
"Red to yellow will kill a fellow, red to black is a friend of Jack". 👍

These guys eat troublesome rodents, slugs, and other critters.

True, but remember, the saying applies only to the North American Coral Snake (i.e. "Red" touching "Yellow"). There are other venomous coral snakes that do not share that pattern, including (but not limited to):

1) Aquatic Coral Snake:

iu

2) Blue Malayan Coral Snake:

iu

3) Australian Coral Snake:

iu

Etc. Etc.

Last edited:
Snakes are on the move, crossed paths with one yesterday (Indigo or Black Racer) yesterday right by the cabin as I was walking toward the water trough. Was glad to see him bolt under the cabin, keeps the mice down and rattlesnakes down.
Indigo snakes grow much larger than black racers.
©A-Z-Animals.com

Eastern Indigo SnakeBlack Racer
Size4-10 pounds; 60-84 inches long1-2 pounds; 20-60 inches long
AppearanceEntirely black to blue-black with orange markings on the chin and sides of the face. Longest native snake in the United StatesAll black to blue-black scales with lighter bellies and white markings on the throat. Large red eyes with round pupils
Location and HabitatSoutheastern United States; riparian zones, pine woods, glades, and swampy areasEastern United States; forests, flatlands, and shrublands
BehaviorFlattens head and vibrates tail when threatened. Only bites as a last resort; non-aggressiveMimics rattlesnakes by vibrating tail when threatened; only bites when provoked
Lifespan12-21 years5-10 years

Key Differences Between Eastern Indigo Snake vs Black Racer​

©A-Z-Animals.com

AppearanceEntirely black to blue-black with orange markings on the chin and sides of the face. Longest native snake in the United StatesAll black to blue-black scales with lighter bellies and white markings on the throat. Large red eyes with round pupils
Location and HabitatSoutheastern United States; riparian zones, pine woods, glades, and swampy areasEastern United States; forests, flatlands, and shrublands
BehaviorFlattens head and vibrates tail when threatened. Only bites as a last resort; non-aggressiveMimics rattlesnakes by vibrating tail when threatened; only bites when provoked

I was 1 step away talking on phone when it moved so did not have time to gather any detail. Just WOW that is a big snake and it is close. I default to Indigo because they are known to be on our place.

Reactions: UKDslayer
I was 1 step away talking on phone when it moved so did not have time to gather any detail. Just WOW that is a big snake and it is close. I default to Indigo because they are known to be on our place.

Where you are located it was likely Indigo. (I'm not a herpetologist though).

Reactions: isofahunter
For the record, I HATE spiders. Hate em. Yes I know they eat bugs, yada yada. Outside, you may live. Inside - nope. I've discovered through that foam carpet cleaner kills most buggers like crickets, roaches, and small spiders (not wolfies) . So my landscpaer wanted $350 to trim schrubs (some are about 8'), so Wednesday night grabbed shears, got to it. Dang if I didn't move quick just for a golden-orb weaver spider at almost eye. Yes, it got to live and you can identify my house from those untrimmed bushes.
Those are the worst!! I’m pretty sure I would die from a heart attack if I succeeded in walking through one of these webs and felt that massive spider hit me in the face!

True, but remember, the saying applies only to the North American Coral Snake (i.e. "Red" touching "Yellow"). There are other venomous coral snakes that do not share that pattern, including (but not limited to):

1) Aquatic Coral Snake:

iu
...and a false coral snake
false-coral-snake.jpg

That is just not fair...LOL

I can't tell you how many times I've unloaded a four wheeler, doing my best Bruce Lee impersonation trying to beat a banana spider (that's what we call them anyway) off myself when riding trails around the house.

Brings to mind a funny story that happened to my dad. We used to have horses. One day, my dad was out riding through the woods on horseback. Just taking in the sights and sounds of the se Texas summer evening. As he's riding along he lights a cigarette, gets him a good drag on it so it's burning good and slips his lighter back in his shirt pocket. About this time one of these huge banana spiders drops over the brim of his hat right in front of his face. To this day we still don't know how it happened, but in one swat at the spider he managed to stuff that cigarette up his nose. Hot end first lol.

©A-Z-Animals.com

I've been dealing with a Southern Black Racer in my front yard. He likes to crash just inside my garage. Now, I don't mind his being on the outside yard at all. He can thrive there and kill all the salamanders he wants. And there are plenty. I just can't have him in my garage, on my sunporch (I've seen a pretty decent shed or two there) or anywhere inside the house. Thus, I've had to secure the garage door (extra gasketing/sealing) and sprinkle cinnamon powder on the spot near the garage door where I always find him (before I "gasketted" up the door). I wanted to use Moth ball powder but, apparently, it's illegal to use Moth balls (or crushed powder) anywhere outside the home and not for the original intended purpose. Thus, Cassia Cinnamon Powder (a sufficient irritant). I won't jinx myself by saying that he hasn't been in the garage since 11/2021, but I've still seen him on the outside periphery on occasion. As long as he doesn't try to get in the garage (when the door is open), he can stay outside.

Last edited:

just glad this crap will hopefully never be at my front door or yours .

Maybe in yankeeville...

But in South GA they still give us youngins a decent edumucation ;)
I remember. In our days, down on the bayou in Louisiana, if it did not kill you, it was for eatin and if it did not taste good, we would still pick it up and check it out for a while.

in 1995 when our home was brand new Brenda and I were watching television in our bedroom and our 7th grader son was in the den playing a game on the family computer.

Out of the blue, we hear (with little too no real worry in his voice)..”Mom, Dad, its important, better come in here.” Well you know 7th grader’s they do tend to get a bit dramatic over the small stuff. I few seconds later, with a tad more emphasis, “Mom, Dad, better come in here, its important.” Well we were not in that great of a rush, it was a good show.. Finally…”Mom, Dad, come in here, its IMPORTANT!”
It was a water snake, merrily winding his way along the breakfast bar. He entered though a gap in the clothes dryer vent

Would you like my sons to come help move it out of the way? That’s the current thing, playing with snakes they find in the yard. Nothing exciting though, only garter snakes

Those are the worst!! I’m pretty sure I would die from a heart attack if I succeeded in walking through one of these webs and felt that massive spider hit me in the face!
Many a time being point that I had that shit happened. Learn to cut a switch to wave in front of me at night humping through the wood. Mother fuckers always landed on my face before I used that switch to knock them down.

Reactions: Foul Mike
Almost looks like a corn snake or something never seen a coral snake like that here.

Had a summer a few years ago where I fished atleast once a day. Stepped on 12-13 snakes lol.
Luckily most were banded water snakes, I did almost step on a crazy looking black and white snake one day.

Place was snake heaven but there were fish and I had my safety flip flops on.

Would you like my sons to come help move it out of the way? That’s the current thing, playing with snakes they find in the yard. Nothing exciting though, only garter snakes

That was a great age for me. Tried to keep one in an aquarium until mom thought it was a great idea to put in a large stick for "scenery". We never did find it.

just glad this crap will hopefully never be at my front door or yours .

Stepped on one turkey hunting a long time ago. Heard him hiss loud then saw him with his neck spread out like a cobra! I moved quickly. Let him live though!

Reactions: lash
Stepped on one turkey hunting a long time ago. Heard him hiss loud then saw him with his neck spread out like a cobra! I moved quickly. Let him live though!
Uh…where the heck were you turkey hunting? That’s an African species.

I have a reaallly long black racer around here I call Slim. He likes to surprise me in the shop sometimes. He will cruise through the garden or across the pasture with his head about 10” off the ground 😂 freaks the wife out.

I have a Scarlet King Snake around here, only seen it once as they are mostly a night hunter.

We have Timber Rattlesnakes here but I’ve never seen one on my land. Guy close by has though and I think about it when walking in the woods.

A beautiful Copperhead bit my dog a few years ago. He didn’t survive but I’m 99% live and let live. I was mad and shoulda rehomed him.

Southern and Northern Black Widows, huge Carolina Wolf Spiders, fat fence lizards and Skinks and salamanders….. Bears, Coons and Opossums who like to investigate the trash….

IMG_0065.jpeg
IMG_0027.jpeg
IMG_0335.jpeg
IMG_0286.jpeg
IMG_1346.jpeg
20180724_171954-01.jpeg
IMG_0355.jpeg

Last edited:
Since we're talking about spiders here also. This joker has taken up residence right in front of the chicken house door. We've been letting her make it but I almost did her in yesterday evening.

I've been taking care of the chickens since the wife has her hands full with the new born. I acknowledged the spider on my way in and ducked under the web as usual, been my routine for a couple weeks now. I was a little late last night and she already had her web up. Most times if I'm early enough the web isn't up yet. Anyway, I went in, gathered eggs, filled feeders, and headed for the door. Walked smooth into the web on my way out. Almost turned a complete backflip. Like a cat, I landed on my feet and somehow managed not to break a single egg. My ninja skills are improving.

Can't really see it in the pic but the web covers almost half of the door.
20230616_193531.jpg

20230616_193510.jpg

I have a reaallly long black racer around here I call Slim. He likes to surprise me in the shop sometimes. He will cruise through the garden or across the pasture with his head about 10” off the ground 😂 freaks the wife out.

I have a Scarlet King Snake around here, only seen it once as they are mostly a night hunter.

We have Timber Rattlesnakes here but I’ve never seen one on my land. Guy close by has though and I think about it when walking in the woods.

A beautiful Copperhead bit my dog a few years ago. He didn’t survive but I’m 99% live and let live. I was mad and shoulda rehomed him.

Southern and Northern Black Widows, huge Carolina Wolf Spiders, fat fence lizards and Skinks and salamanders….. Bears, Coons and Opossums who like to investigate the trash….
Same here. Try to rehome as mush as possible. Oldest came in a while back asking me if she could pick up a snake by the front door. I said only if you can tell me how you know it’s not poisonous. Her reply was, that’s why I came to you dummy. She learned a lesson that day and picked up the snake to take it out back.
F5C139CF-D931-496B-AE1A-814F209D8167.jpeg
38D6392A-F6FC-499C-B6C8-DEE99675426E.jpeg

Reactions: lash and Lawless