• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Foundation Stocks

I'm hoping to get into a Foundation Stock this year. I have a Seekins Havak Pro HP1, not as Gucci as others here but I think the Foundation will be the next step in the right direction. My Havak shoots pretty damn well with the Magpul Hunter 700 stock but I have been eyeing a Foundation since JK started his business, after college when I heard he had started a precision rifle stock company, micarta was not what I had envisioned. Knowing JK though, it doesn't surprise me that he has built it into what it is today and I'm sure it has a long successful future ahead.
I'm not too picky on the color, they're all different because of the materials and processes involved and it'll probably look wonky anyways because my action and barrel are both uncoated stainless. Oh well.
Nothing a can of krylon can't cure.

The finishes only look different when they are side by side. Each one is a little different.

When you get the distressed finish it’s meant to be different.

Went to a match last week where Foundation was the most popular. Out of 80 shooters nearly half were running a foundation (it was in OK) and I can tell you they all look great on their own.

Now with that said he has some new crazy looking finishes that I have seen in person but not in the website.

Just buy one and you won’t be disappointed. If you are contact John-Kyle before you do ANYTHING and see what he says. They are finished by hand and he might just take it back to get you what you want.

Got word from John-Kyle mine is ready to ship!

He set aside a "dark" blank for me based on the how i said I anticipated it finishing up. he said it's not the darkest they've gotten but still finished up good. From the pic it's a tad lighter than i was expecting but I'll wait to get it in hand and see for myself. I think i'll still like it but he said if not let him know, he wants me to be 100% satisfied. Here it is still at Foundation:
FE8AC1A4-5BC4-4E65-86E8-6BF0749BBE73.jpeg

He set aside a "dark" blank for me based on the how i said I anticipated it finishing up. he said it's not the darkest they've gotten but still finished up good. From the pic it's a tad lighter than i was expecting but I'll wait to get it in hand and see for myself. I think i'll still like it but he said if not let him know, he wants me to be 100% satisfied. Here it is still at Foundation:
View attachment 7053705
Very nice! I am in the waiting game now.

Reactions: Olen_4504
i saw one on the web somewhere that was really dark and looked like it was drug behind a truck. Probably my favorite of all the ones I've seen posted.

I’d shoot it

i feel you. definitely not for everyone.

i was into the whole chassis look for awhile. then quickly found myself liking the tradition stock look better.

so that left me with:

manners
jallen
foundation

if i don't like the foundation - i'm probably going to try a manners next, but i don't like the slanted forends of the PRS1 and PRS2, so i'd have to give a different style which i haven't fully researched yet. my buddy i shoot with regularly has a jallen and its badass but i still wanted to try a foundation first.

Why no McMillan?

Just curious

@hookedonbrass that looks good. If my stock turns out just like that I would be happy! Hoping my Vector and Proof barrel go well with it. I ordered mine around the first week of March, hoping I get a call soon...

Looks awesome. If I have to wait any longer for Manners to fix their screw up I may switch to a Foundation. At least they stick to their turn times and stock don't show up with chips in them.

That's one of the nicest ones i've seen. Did you specify what you wanted or was it luck of the draw?

This has glass on it now and I've shot it side by side with my McMillans and I can say that somehow it eats up more recoil. It's a DREAM to shoot!!

Foundation.jpg

Depending on what material or "grain" is showing dictates how the finish turns out.. they are all kind of snowflakes in that regard. Mine is by far the darkest dark distressed I've seen, but I get alot of compliments on it.. it's almost black on red.
Not sure what my next one will look like, but I know it'll be different.

Exodus #2 with a Fuzion inlet. #1 went to Travis at TS Customs.

View attachment 7049193

#2. Dark distressed as well. Totally different than my first.. not complaining.

20190509_175436.jpg

20190509_175303.jpg

#2. Dark distressed as well. Totally different than my first.. not complaining.
(deleted pics)

That is gorgeous. Looks similar to mine, but better lol. I wonder if JK and crew are doing a new staining technique? These 'tiger stripe' type stocks look unlike any I've seen before.

Some great looking rifles and stocks in here. I have my Impact/Foundation rifle now and it feels and looks great but I am waiting for the RRS mount and my ZC527 to arrive before posting photos.

Can anyone with an impact or vector action in an exodus stock and diamond trigger get a measurement from the front face of the grip to the trigger?

Thanks

Am i missing a very important options on foundation stock??? Over a mcm a5 looks like to me they 99% identical???? Why everybody crazy over it..

Am i missing a very important options on foundation stock??? Over a mcm a5 looks like to me they 99% identical???? Why everybody crazy over it..

Just a different flavor of stock. Functionally the same as a McM A5 - maybe a little stiffer and supposedly no need for bedding (which can also be accomplished with McM A5's with the right tools and equipment - such as what LRI has done). But otherwise, pretty much the same.

Not as versatile as a chassis.

Reactions: bjay

To answer that fully, you really need to get one and spend a little time behind it. Simple, great ergonomics, and all the options you need to shoot at a high level. It's everything you need to win a match, nothing more.

To answer that fully, you really need to get one and spend a little time behind it. Simple, great ergonomics, and all the options you need to shoot at a high level. It's everything you need to win a match, nothing more.

Subjective - everyone's body type is different. You can say the exact same thing about a McMillan or a Manners.

It's great that we have a lot of options as consumers. But to suggest that the Foundation is a lot more functional than a Manners or McMillan is a bit of a mischaracterization of the stock. I can see why people like it, it's certainly a neat niche option that seems very well built. But let's not get carried away with it.

Subjective - everyone's body type is different. You can say the exact same thing about a McMillan or a Manners.

It's great that we have a lot of options as consumers. But to suggest that the Foundation is a lot more functional than a Manners or McMillan is a bit of a mischaracterization of the stock. I can see why people like it, it's certainly a neat niche option that seems very well built. But let's not get carried away with it.

I never once mentioned Manners or McMillan, much less suggest it was a lot more functional than either. My comments about it's "everything you need to win a match, and nothing more" is literally my experience with it. The first time to take mine out I won a 2-day national PRS match against a field of really talented shooters. No gimmicks, no frills, just a simple stock that works really well.

Reactions: generalzip
I've owned and tried different chassis, I have a manners and mcmillan

For me, I don't like the feel of a chassis. The reason I like my foundation over other stocks is it looks awesome. It's also very comfortable for me and I like the way the palm fits my hand. They also advertise not needing bedding but it's a lot more precise fit than other stocks. Also, something that's hard to describe is the foundation stocks seem to dampen the vibration/recoil I think it's because of the material

The foundation genesis and mcmillan stocks definitely have a different feel in the palm area

I never once mentioned Manners or McMillan, much less suggest it was a lot more functional than either. My comments about it's "everything you need to win a match, and nothing more" is literally my experience with it. The first time to take mine out I won a 2-day national PRS match against a field of really talented shooters. No gimmicks, no frills, just a simple stock that works really well.

Fair enough, guess I read too much into your comment.

Also, something that's hard to describe is the foundation stocks seem to dampen the vibration/recoil I think it's because of the material

This.

I haven’t felt anything like it. Just dead.

i can see that.

i still love the looks. i have an exodus on order. only thing that worries me is there seems to be drastic variation even among the different finishes. Some "dark finishes" look way better than others.

i sent John-Kyle an example from their website of how i would like mine to look. He said he can tell by the blank how they'll finish up and pulled a dark one for me.

my biggest worry is getting it in and not liking the finish. some look not so good - some look awesome to me.

That's a great point. This is why I didnt buy one. I didnt want to be that pain in @as guy and ask for pictures but I'm really into wood and grain and I couldnt be sure I would love it when it got here. I sell high-end mahogany furniture for a living, I would of been disappointed if the stock didnt tickle my funny bone when I got it.

Pictures of finished stocks available for sale would have helped me at the time I inquired....

That's a great point. This is why I didnt buy one. I didnt want to be that pain in @as guy and ask for pictures but I'm really into wood and grain and I couldnt be sure I would love it when it got here. I sell high-end mahogany furniture for a living, I would of been disappointed if the stock didnt tickle my funny bone when I got it.

Pictures of finished stocks available for sale would have helped me at the time I inquired....

John-Kyle is awesome to work with though. he can try his best to set aside a blank that will finish up to your liking. just find some pics online of ones you like and he'll try to make it happen.

he told me - let him know if i wasn't happy and he'd make it right.

i got mine in awhile back and it's a little lighter than i hoped, especially in the sun it has a reddish tint. but i still love it.

i'm definitely ordering a dark-distressed next time though!

More pics attached. Showing how the sun brings out different colors. Looks much darker inside/shade

if you showed me these pics and it wasn't my stock - i'd think it was three different stocks

Attachments

• D768A873-1652-4EDE-9969-E28CDC89FB84.jpeg
    D768A873-1652-4EDE-9969-E28CDC89FB84.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 182
  • 8C944B43-605C-4A35-85CC-B5E9E348A8C0.jpeg
    8C944B43-605C-4A35-85CC-B5E9E348A8C0.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 196
  • DF669EA6-373C-4A66-A72C-F000198660D7.jpeg
    DF669EA6-373C-4A66-A72C-F000198660D7.jpeg
    529.5 KB · Views: 199
I think Dark-Distressed is going to be the most popular for awhile. At least until JK comes up with something else even more badass.

If there's any doubt, call him. As mentioned before he was my college roommate and is just an awesome person and has a great family supporting him. I know there's a bunch of good people in this world, but JK is top notch. I'm hoping they make it through these storms and floods ok.

maybe I missed it in the thread (distracted by all the pretty pictures lol) but what’s the difference between the genesis and the exodus ?

maybe I missed it in the thread (distracted by all the pretty pictures lol) but what’s the difference between the genesis and the exodus ?

exodus features a 2" forearm design with closer grip to trigger spacing than the Genesis models.

(genesis forend is WIDER than exodus)

Reactions: CATM15

The Exodus features a 2" forearm design (Genesis is wider)
Exodus has closer grip to trigger spacing than the Genesis models

exodus features a 2" forearm design with closer grip to trigger spacing than the Genesis models.

(genesis forend is WIDER than exodus)
Thanks for the quick reply! Genesis sounds like what I’m looking for.

To be honest I wish I would have tried them both. I have the Exodus and love it but there’s always the “what-if” with the Genesis.

Reactions: tydex21