• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Equipment FREE / .308 gauges, barrel vise, action wrench

dspjaggar

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2018
29 palms ca
"social experiment" / see a need fill a need / be a good dude / WTF am i going to do with this stuff after i use it for 10 min

So i did a remage rebarrel recently and i paid up for tools that i will likely only use once, or i when i have friends who want to rebarrel "not likely". I told myself i would offer up tools whenever i saw someone looking, but i figured may as well make a thread, maybe it ends up sticky idk.

so heres what i have to offer

anyone doing a rebarrel looking to BORROW some .308 gauges and other tools if needed is welcome to them for free, you pay for shipping and send them back in a timely manner and ill keep this going until they are dammaged beyond use or we run into someone whos not such a good dude and decides to steal them.

we have a pretty good community here in my experience, lets see how long we can keep these things going around

my paypal for shipping / is [email protected]. shipping is 15.05 but I take donations also/ not required
20200625_193614.jpg

EDIT:
details on what it is. do your research idk if it will or wont work with your stuff but here is what it is

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006553240 action wrench

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006552646?pid=288765 barrel nut wrench

Amazon.com : Wheeler Universal Barrel Clamp : Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com : Wheeler Universal Barrel Clamp : Sports & Outdoors
www.amazon.com
barrel clamp

Last edited:
I am rebarreling a Tikka and could use the vices and wrenches. How much is shipping to West Palm Beach FL? Thanks.

im going to the post office in the morning to see what size box i need and how im going to pack this so it doesnt rip through the box, im thinking 10-20 dollars but probably closer to 15.

do you have everything else you need to do the work already as im currently talking with 1 other person and have already seen another person who i know will chime in soon.

trying to set it up for this iteration where i send it to the person who is ready now and they send it to the next person until it gets back to me

I have a factory varmint M700 barreled action that I’ve been wanting to take the barrel off for the action only! Maybe I should hop in line? I’m intrigued to know the cost for shipping as well!

Reactions: dspjaggar
I don’t need this as I just bought all the tools, but THIS IS AWESOME!!

some time ago there was one of those $15 anything fits it ships boxes that went around. You “picked out what you needed” looked through your bench put what you didn’t need and shipped it to another member. I think I was the 10th or so person to receive the box then I moved it on.

I don’t remember what ever ended up happening to it but it was a great concept that I benefitted from and I know for sure the guy I sent it to did.

Ive had people offer me free shit here when I happen to mention my desire for something.

Its a great community.

Rather than take their shit for free when they insist though I will send money to an org like Second Amendment Foundation or GOA.

Guy offering the free shit generally appreciates seeing the screen shot of the donation made because of his graciousness.

Great idea! Paying it forward... and forward... and on...
Will be doing a barrel nut in the distant future (probably next spring). Hope this is around then.
Guys, be honest and generous, and keep a good thing going!

I love the fact you offered this. And I think it’s a great thing to get going. People do need to be courteous and mail immediately back when done. I’d have a minimum requirement on positive feedbacks to those you lend to tho. I’d hate to see your stuff dissappear. But totally think what your doing is great. May try it myself

Reactions: ballistic1
I love the fact you offered this. And I think it’s a great thing to get going. People do need to be courteous and mail immediately back when done. I’d have a minimum requirement on positive feedbacks to those you lend to tho. I’d hate to see your stuff dissappear. But totally think what your doing is great. May try it myself

Not a bad idea, would I qualify lol. Just going to use a little judgement with how long they have been around the hide, and a little post stalking, but not overly concerned, we are usually good about getting rid of scammers

I do hope that people mail it quickly though at least if they know there is someone else in line. If no one is waiting as long as I dont have to hound them for it and they let me know I dont mind a week or 2 I know life happens

Reactions: Dog
Snipers Hide tool kit … maybe an extra set of guages will find their way to the box. Perhaps even an action wrench or two.

All my tracking numbers are in so I should be ready by late next week. Maybe if someone has it borrowed at that time they can ship right to me than I can send it back to @dspjaggar or the next person in line. This would save some trips to the post office as I was typing i realized that could also create a situation where the owner may not know where his tools are so maybe not a great idea lol.

This is a really great idea and a huge risk to dsp I really hope guys appreciate and respect this generous gesture.

All my tracking numbers are in so I should be ready by late next week. Maybe if someone has it borrowed at that time they can ship right to me than I can send it back to @dspjaggar or the next person in line. This would save some trips to the post office as I was typing i realized that could also create a situation where the owner may not know where his tools are so maybe not a great idea lol.

^^this is the plan, just have to be transparent in when you ship to the next person and when you receive it. if there is no one in line then it comes back to me, otherwise keep it going

Reactions: MotoFlier
Awesome idea, props to dsp for setting it up! I'll definitely keep tabs for an upcoming build!

Beebeetee is the first one up, get in touch with motoflier when you are done. Update thread when you receive and when you send it to the next guy..

I'll try to get it out tomorrow or Monday if not

I’ll hop in line as #3. I’m thinking I should be able to break the barrel from the action and get it done with the set up ya have!

Let me do some more research and make sure I can - otherwise, I’ll relinquish my spot.

I’ll hop in line as #3. I’m thinking I should be able to break the barrel from the action and get it done with the set up ya have!

Let me do some more research and make sure I can - otherwise, I’ll relinquish my spot.

edited first post to show what is what so people can research

Reactions: iShoot17
If the gauges are still available I'd definitely love to use them!

Shipping everything so I dont have to go to the post office but once.

Shipping this morning current order is

beebeetee
Motoflier
Ishoot17
Imperfect liberty

Just add or remove your name to the list as we move forward so we can more easily keep track

Reactions: ImperfectLiberty
FYI, I received the tools today. They include the following:
1) the barrel vice,
2) the action vice w handle,
3) .308 gauges
4) barrel wrenches and
5) shims
I will contact motoflier to ship to him in a couple days.
Thank u dspjaggar

I have a magnum no go gauge I will toss into the box. Might have some other stuff good for barrel nut systems too, even an extra torque wrench.

PM an address to ship if you want it.

As long as the person has good feedback, this should last a good long time.

I have a magnum no go gauge I will toss into the box. Might have some other stuff good for barrel nut systems too, even an extra torque wrench.

PM an address to ship if you want it.

As long as the person has good feedback, this should last a good long time.

Awesome. I'd say contact motoflier as hes next to get the box. Or motoflier can you get him your address. I'd say definitely for the gauge and any specialty gun tools.

A torque wrench would be cool but the box is already crowded and heavy which makes me worry about the box failing.
A torque wrench should be basic dude stuff or they can borrow one from autozone if they dont have one.

FYI, I received the tools today. They include the following:
1) the barrel vice,
2) the action vice w handle,
3) .308 gauges
4) barrel wrenches and
5) shims
I will contact motoflier to ship to him in a couple days.
Thank u dspjaggar

How's the rebarrel going. Gun going to be up in time for freedom day!!

So I tried removing the Tikka barrel over the last couple days. What an epic fail on my end. I couldn't keep the barrel from spinning so I clamped the vise tighter. The vice snapped in half and the barrel got marred. Bought a new vice but the barrel still spun. Tikka barrels are stupid stubborn. I give up.

I will contact motoflier. I'll send the stuff out Monday. Despite the epic fail, thank u dspjaggar for the generosity.

So I tried removing the Tikka barrel over the last couple days. What an epic fail on my end. I couldn't keep the barrel from spinning so I clamped the vise tighter. The vice snapped in half and the barrel got marred. Bought a new vice but the barrel still spun. Tikka barrels are stupid stubborn. I give up.

I will contact motoflier. I'll send the stuff out Monday. Despite the epic fail, thank u dspjaggar for the generosity.

I was on my way to a similar experience, made a relief cut in the recoil lug with a dremel and out she came. Was tipping the bench and thought I was going to tweak the action so did some reading. Relief cut is common for smiths as well.

Now I'm getting scared hahaha. @Beebeetee no worries don't bail mid project I'm not in a time sensitive situation few days won't hurt nothing.

Yea man give the relief cut a go. I was getting frustrated as well, also I started with a homemade action wrench that I thought was the issue and I realized it would have worked fine if I made a relief cut initially. You got it man

I would keep it a day or so longer if I knew what the heck to do next. I'm hesitant to cut into the recoil lug or barrel. I tried a bunch of ways to keep the barrel from spinning with no luck. When the vice snapped in half I almost gave up then. With the new vice nothing worked. I may be time to declare the Tikka the winner and cut my losses before another vice bites the dust.

It's pretty beat up now. Probably not worth spending money on this one. I did order a 21st century barrel vice off another member. Maybe I'll try again another time. Might donate the vice to this experiment once I get done a couple upcoming barrel changes.

Tools showed up!! Got excited and dug in right out of the gate Previous owner completely stripped out 3 of the 4 base screws. Gonna work on it after dinner worst case I will drill the heads and pray enough sticks out to get ahold of. The rail hangs over the nut so no short cuts and honestly I couldn't leave it now that i know it would drive me nuts. GAME ON!! hahaha

20200711_182453.jpg
20200711_182446.jpg

Easy enough if you have a set of screw extractors readily available. But yea bummer to see. hope they come out easy, and the barrel comes off easier

I win sorta the base was actually mounted backwards to the point it was digging into the lug and not sitting flat. This is likely why the screws were stripped from trying to "Crank" it down flush SMH. Good thing I'm doing the barrel swap so I can go over everything I cant imagine the headaches trying to work up a load for the first time in my life would have been hahaha.
20200711_185617.jpg

Interesting usually the bolt pattern will only let you mount 1 way. This is cool though. Posts like these will help people decide if they think they can do this or not when requesting tools

New barrel is on everything looks good. Torqued the nut to 40ftlb seems so light everything the adapter and my Torque wrench were so long I could not go low enough on the settings so I did the 90deg setup and sanity checked it by hand. Range is 30-50 so I confident but seems like such a big nut should go tighter hahaha

tomorrow I will try and source some new screws local and get a few test fires in to insure everything before sending off the tools to @iShoot17

Edit: Provided the additional gages arrive Monday if not I will wait till they are here to keep everything together.

Last spam post in this thread I promise, got ahold of some screws that will work temp they are alittle short put 20rds through it and everything seems great I can't wait to dive into reloading! So happy with how the build turned out!

Some Before and after pics

20200709_175026.jpg
20200712_195208.jpg

this is what its all for man, i want to see the before and afters of everyones rigs,

when you make a post showing you shipped to the next person if you can also include an updated running list of whos in line it would be appreciated.

glad it was a quick weekend job

on a sided note, is that a H1 its sitting on... EPIC!! more pics of that lol

Last spam post in this thread I promise, got ahold of some screws that will work temp they are alittle short put 20rds through it and everything seems great I can't wait to dive into reloading! So happy with how the build turned out!

Some Before and after pics