• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Free 3D Printed Parts....SH members pick a new idea

Blowby

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
BFE
I've been on SH for just over a year and I have great respect for the long distance shooters on here. Many hours I've spent online absorbing knowledge while putting my first .308 together. It's not anything fancy but it seems to shoot well for my skill level which is improving as the trigger time allows. So to get to the point I want to give back to SH and the industry it supports that we are all part of.

So here's the plan: Anybody with cool ideas for our hobby and would like to develop their idea into 3D parts, post up. I will provide the printing for testing form, fit and function. My thought is to have the members of SH pick which three ideas posted go on to the final printing process. So post your ideas with sketches, screen shots of your CAD models or pictures of your parts.

I will be able to cover the cost of generating the tool paths, building and cleaning, machine usage and layout based on what the testing of the 3D part requires. Material and shipping is on the member just to keep the project from getting out of control financially on my end. I will need a CAD model of the part and can accept it in a few different formats.

Post any questions and I can help along the way. A few printers I have available below.

BTW: Admin's please contact me if I need to change anything to follow the rules on material costs.

Attachments

• IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3419.JPG
    IMG_3419.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
O
u
t
s
t
a
n
d
i
n
g
!
!
!

This is a very generous gesture, I was billed over $200 by a lousy prototyping company for them to 3d print a tiny little piece that was 0.11 cubic inches.

Yes, over $200 for less than a single cubic inch of 3d printing. They took 166% longer to ship than my initial quote and charged me for overnight shipping, after the part was weeks late.

prototype.jpg

Just to give you an idea of material cost, expect to pay less than $5 per cubic inch for model material plus whatever support is involved (usually 10%).

Looks like a very nice Statasys to me. I am a big fan of the Uprint SE Plus.

This is an excellent idea. I am always trying to think up stuff to sneak into the printer when there is space left on the tray.

All printers are under the Stratasys company.

• BST768
  • Elite
  • Fortus 250mc
  • MakerBot Replicator 2

We need some parts to start the competition so post up SH members!

A set of parts I made a few weeks ago just to push it along.

Attachments

• IMG_3421.JPG
    IMG_3421.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3422.JPG
    IMG_3422.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Get a CAD model or a .stp solid file and you are the first one on the list.
Here's a mag holder for a 5.56 I designed a while ago. I used them through a few training classes. Many ideas out there so keep them coming.

Attachments

• Mag-Holder3.jpg
    Mag-Holder3.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 23
I wish I knew how to use CAD....I'm trying to teach myself, as I've got an idea I've been planning for over a year now. :/

What CAD package are you using? Maybe I can help. If you have a sketch with dimensions I will see if I can squeeze it in and model it up for you if it's not to time consuming. I could then send it back to you with all the feature history so you can view it and learn how it was built. Let me know.

Anyone have CAD or .stp on a AICS style magazine? In .308? 6.5 Creedmore? Magazines are getting pretty spendy. Seems to me the case itself is the most expensive part though it seems like not much material. I can get 5.56 or 7.62x51 springs for mags for under a buck a peice. But if I buy a complete mag its 25+

I found the magazine case only, no bottom plate or follower. Look on GrabCad. I'll try to post the link when I get home.

This is an awesome opportunity, I'm surprised this thread isn't pages long full of files...

Is there a size limit to the part in which you'd be willing to print? Obviously it has to physically fit in the printer, but are you looking for something smaller, such as a bolt knob or magazine? Would you entertain a rifle chassis? If so, I have a chassis that I've been working on and would love to have a prototype made. The components are modeled in SolidWorks and can be saved in any file needed.

Also, to anyone that has a part or prints that they'd like made, but doesn't have the necessary cad files, I would be more than willing to help out. I have been using SolidWorks for years now so whipping up a model for someone would be no trouble.

I'm a bit of a luddite, but I'd like to see a rifle chassis system, if the material would be strong enough. I'm thinking a model 700 that'd take an AR pistol grip and receiver extension tube. As I say, I'm a luddite and working from my phone, so no blueprints, but I might be interested in purchasing a 2nd or later printing if somebody else comes through with the goods. Good luck with an interesting project.

I have a complete chassis, including rails and accessories ready to go in any and all file types. The model is 100% accurate and optimized for standard machining cutters, etc. There is no fake or unrealistic geometry. I'm on my phone at the moment, otherwise I would post photos.

I have zero technical skills but I do have an idea for someone... All of the DTA guys have been trying to get the company to come up with a 10 rd magazine for their rifle system. I think this is a perfect opportunity for some of them to step up with their own designs.