• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Free float

mercracing

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    I am in the process of mounting a new Vortex scope on my 7mm Wby Mark V and I noticed the barrel is touching the stock the whole way down. This is a hunting rifle meant for 500 yds on paper 200 or less on game. I am not looking to dump money into the gun. Can I expect minute of whitetail accuracy with it the way it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It came with a junk Tasco scope on it. Shot three shots and they were all over the place. At 55$/box I decided to not shoot more till I had a good scope on it.

Not to be mean, as in don't answer, this just be honest to yourself. Can you shoot minute of whitetail?
    Yeah, ammo is expensive. What do you mean by, "were all over the place"? Again not much information for others to help. My personal experience is every rifle I have shot, before tuning, would be capable of whitetail at 200yds. ( I assume a 10" kill zone).

With my DPMS I can hit a steel gong the size of my fist all day at 300m. I know that's not saying much. But yes, IMHO I am able to shoot minute of whitetail.

As far as "all over the place" I bore sighted the rifle and took it to the 50yd range. First shot was 6 high 3 left. Moved 12 clicks left and shot. 3 low and 5 right. Didn't touch anything and shot again. 3 low and 1 right. Said the hell with this and put it back in the case.

Try it with the new scope and a couple different types of ammo. If it doesn't shoot, you may want to look at having the barrel channel opened up a bit so the barrel floats freely.

Put it on paper and see how she does! If it doesent shoot float the barrel. Worth a try.
    Jim

Cool. So, the Weatherby wasn't inside 10" at 200yds? After you get the scope on, you'll know if it was the Tasco.
    Is the bullet you're shooting good for the twist? Not too, heavy/long?
    Many things to consider before giving lots of advice. I do see you're using a phone so, maybe, details are hard to input. More information is needed.
    Details:
    load
    diameter of group
    distance group shot

The only ammo I have been able to find is ammo from Weatherby. It's either 150 or 154gr don't remember which off the top of my head.