• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Freebore Education Needed

Hawk in WY

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2013
Jackson Hole, WY
I have a barrel with LongRifles, Inc. and need a bit of education on freebore before I discuss where this build is going with Chad.

My goal is to shoot the Barnes 212 gr bore rider in a 300 Norma Mag.

So no one needs to look this up, what is unique about the bore rider is the bullet is designed long and slender for a bc around .700 and a base about equal to the distance between the shoulder and to top of the neck which is the only part of the bullet that contacts the lands.

I had an earlier barrel chambered for the 300 Norma Mag by LRI using their "bore rider" reamer. Silly me. I thought the bore rider reamer had something to do with the bore rider bullet. Evidently not.

The bore rider reamer works just fine with other Barnes bullets even with the 0.50 jump they seem to like for a COAL of around 3.466 with the 200 gr LRX in 300 Norma Mag. Shoots great.

With the 212 gr bore rider and the usual .050 jump the base of the bore rider bullet that contacts the lands is just about below the shoulder of the case.

The bore rider bullet seems to need way more freebore than provided by the LRI freebore reamer.

What am I not understanding so I don't waste Chad's time.

Thank you for the education.

Last edited:
Maybe you can send him a dummy round of what you want, and he'll chamber the barrel to fit the dummy. Or, if you require a longer freebore, get a throating reamer and run it in until it's deep enough.

Reactions: Hawk in WY
Maybe you can send him a dummy round of what you want, and he'll chamber the barrel to fit the dummy. Or, if you require a longer freebore, get a throating reamer and run it in until it's deep enough.
I would agree here, I have no experience with the Bore Rider but I have quite a few rifles all built by different Smith's and I always tell them what bullet weight, OAL, and freebore Im planning on running and they chamber/ream it to that

Reactions: Terry of illinois
I have done some more measuring and the combination of the Barnes recommended COAL, the design of the bullet, and the freebore of the LongRifles Inc. bore rider reamer is right on what's needed to make this bullet shoot.

This seems potentially a great combination for a 300 Norma Mag with an eight twist barrel dedicated to Barnes' 212 gr. bore rider bullet. I will probably not use this bullet for 300 Win Mag or PRC.