• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Freebore on 223ai?

Bullet Pusher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2013
TX.
Wanting to know what amount of freebore route to go just ordered kriger 8 twist.I am wanting to be able to shoot 69gr. up to 80gr. amax,vld.and so on.Thanks guys once I figure this out going to get in on the group buy thanks.

I have ordered a couple of custom reamers and spec'd freebore on them. It is just easier to load a couple of dummy rds to where 'you' want to shoot them and order a reamer with however much jump 'you' want and let er rip. Sometimes I have overthought reamer specs!

Niles,krw thanks I came to the conclusion that I will send in a dummy round and let lri set the freebore.Krw I here u trying to figure this out made me want to stab myself in the forehead with a fork lol!!!Niles thanks about the info on the brass to,because I will be using Lapua brass.

Can't give you the specs off of the top of my head, but PTG's standard grind works out pretty well for everything from the 55 grain ballistic tips, to the 75 grain amax.

Can't give you the specs off of the top of my head, but PTG's standard grind works out pretty well for everything from the 55 grain ballistic tips, to the 75 grain amax.

MHH,i think I have seen one of your threads where you have a stiller spectre action if I am right how do u like it.I think I will be calling them tomorrow to order one.I just ordered the kreiger barrel from bugholes the other night looks like it will be here on Monday.All this rifle building stuff can get on one's nerves more than the wife lol!!

MHH,i think I have seen one of your threads where you have a stiller spectre action if I am right how do u like it.I think I will be calling them tomorrow to order one.I just ordered the kreiger barrel from bugholes the other night looks like it will be here on Monday.All this rifle building stuff can get on one's nerves more than the wife lol!!

Think you confused me with someone else. It's all good.

I've got a bunch of 700's and a single Savage.

Good luck with your build. Rounding up parts is the annoying part, the rest is gravy.

Mine is a .252" neck with .032" FB.

I and most of the AIs I've built shoot 80grn Bergers and the like. They hammmer.

Good luck with your build, you will enjoy the shit out of a good 223AI.

Think you confused me with someone else. It's all good.

I've got a bunch of 700's and a single Savage.

Good luck with your build. Rounding up parts is the annoying part, the rest is gravy.
Yes I do,it is another fella with the same avatar.I really want to say thanks to you fellas for the help.

Mine is a .252" neck with .032" FB.

I and most of the AIs I've built shoot 80grn Bergers and the like. They hammmer.

Good luck with your build, you will enjoy the shit out of a good 223AI.
So going with the .032 fb I should not have to worry about anything I will be using AI mags and use as much as the mag will allow.Also if I try some 80grs. to see if the barrel like's them will this freebore allow for it I know,i know it does in yours I just don't want to mess this up thanks.

Suggest you look at .075-.080Fb. Powder charge load density will be high with heavy bullets and you want to run the cartridge long as long as reasonably possible for several reasons.

Wanting to know what amount of freebore route to go just ordered kriger 8 twist.I am wanting to be able to shoot 69gr. up to 80gr. amax,vld.and so on.Thanks guys once I figure this out going to get in on the group buy thanks.

Do you want to optimize the 69s, compromise performance of the 80s or optimize the 80s and compromise performance of the 69s or compromise the performance of both by trying to find something in the middle?

Pick bullet you'll shoot for 75% or more of the rounds you'll fire from rifle, figure out needed freebore and don't look back.

I've found I really like running one bullet from a rifle barrel, just keeps life simple, easy and never have wrong dope on rifle.

All of the 223AIs I've done feed from AICS mags sans an issue.

As far as FB, its up to you. I spec'ed this reamer long ago to be able to shoot 75/80s yet still touch with 50s. It's worked too well to even consider something else.

FCS I hear you,with this being my first build I am going with the 75gr amax that will be shot out of this gun.I already have a sps tac. and a crap load of 53gr vmax and 69gr smks.I just want a gun I can shoot out futher I have a buddy that lets me shoot on his land.I actually bought 20 boxes of the wolf match gold bthp and the sps loves that stuff.Just starting to get into this gun stuff have been a archer most of my life.My son loves shooting a gun a lot more than his bow so here we go.My brother-in-laws dad asked me why I liked bow hunting and I said for the challange,he laughed and said yea it's a challange cause u never see fat Indians.

Reactions: Baron85
Built a .223 AI on a Stiller last year, using a Kreiger 8 twist barrel.

I wasn't really worried about freebore, but did want a nice "crush fit" of .223 cases into my new chamber so that they would remain tight against the bolt face for good case forming. Used a PTG reamer and go gauge. I cut the chamber absolutely as tight as the gauge would permit, and was very happy with the results.

Have been fire forming with Winchester brass and 24.0 AA2520 behind the 75 Amax. The rifle shoots well, and I have no desire to try other bullets providing I can still obtain the 75 Amax.

Good luck in your project!

Cheers... Jim

Built a .223 AI on a Stiller last year, using a Kreiger 8 twist barrel.

I wasn't really worried about freebore, but did want a nice "crush fit" of .223 cases into my new chamber so that they would remain tight against the bolt face for good case forming. Used a PTG reamer and go gauge. I cut the chamber absolutely as tight as the gauge would permit, and was very happy with the results.

Have been fire forming with Winchester brass and 24.0 AA2520 behind the 75 Amax. The rifle shoots well, and I have no desire to try other bullets providing I can still obtain the 75 Amax.

Good luck in your project!

Cheers... Jim

Jim, I guess I need to order the neck&throat reamer heck they have several kind of reamers.

Not AI, but my I spec'd my 223 reamer at .085 FB and the 80 vld measure 2.460 to the lands. I run them .010 in at 2.470 with plenty of room in ai mags. My 80vld load runs 2915 in a 26" 7.7 bartlien.

My 22" Criterion is 0.061" and I've had no issues with 80 Amax or 90 VLDs (2950 with the Amax and XBR, 2750 with 90s and Varget).

All of the 223AIs I've done feed from AICS mags sans an issue.

As far as FB, its up to you. I spec'ed this reamer long ago to be able to shoot 75/80s yet still touch with 50s. It's worked too well to even consider something else.
I'm running 80 Berger vld's with this reamer at 3030 out of a 22" barrel. (It's hot but fine)