• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Freebore on new rifle

dulla

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2012
South Australia, Australia
I have just taken possession of my new rifle, it's made by APRS in Australia and uses the stiller predator action and a fluted krieger barrel. It's chambered in 6.5x47 and I was planning to shoot the 130g berger hunting vld's from it.

Problem I have is, I just got out the hornady oal gauge to try and find the lands and the projectile does not reach the lands without coming out of the case. Not ideal considering the projectile generally likes being jammed or close to the rifling. Is there any reason the barrel would have been chambered like this and should I be questioning the work? I can even reach the lands with my factory Remington's so paying top dollar and not being able to is disappointing. Has anyone else shot this round with a long throat and had good results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like it's the problem, modified case definitely does not go in as far as my fire formed cases, now I can stop worrying about buying a lemon.

Next question, can I now just use a body die to size the modified case, the case had been sent off to be threaded for the oal gauge.

Thanks very much for the quick diagnosis.

Measure the difference between the fire formed neck and the modified case neck, you might just have to neck size it and get a file or dremel and modify the inside of the neck so the projectile can slide

Nzgrip your my hero tonight! I thought my $4500 rifle had been chambered badly but it was a $20 modified case. I did what you suggested and it's all good, I can sleep well.