• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FREEZER'S?! WTF?!

1J04

Lost Squirrel
Minuteman
  • Aug 7, 2011
    PNW WA
    Ok, so I got my shop floor poured yesterday and I'm gonna toss my old Refrigerator Freezer and stand alone Freezer and buy new. Or am I? Apparently I'm not. You cannot find a Freezer ANYWHERE around here, let alone a 20 cu ft one. I called Lowe's and Home Depot and got the same story. Nobody is ordering anything from China due to COVID!!! WTF?

Sure, you can find the occasional $6,000-$8,000 dollar ones, but ya, that ain't gonna happen. So if you want a damn Freezer it looks like backorders are gonna be delivered anywhere from August to October!!!!!

Terrible farging timing.

Not sure if you are willing to look on CraigsList, but my neighbor found a screaming deal on a lightly used drop in freezer last year for his garage. Can't recall name brand, but it was one he had been after....might get lucky?

Ok, so I got my shop floor poured yesterday and I'm gonna toss my old Refrigerator Freezer and stand alone Freezer and buy new. Or am I? Apparently I'm not. You cannot find a Freezer ANYWHERE around here, let alone a 20 cu ft one. I called Lowe's and Home Depot and got the same story. Nobody is ordering anything from China due to COVID!!! WTF?

Sure, you can find the occasional $6,000-$8,000 dollar ones, but ya, that ain't gonna happen. So if you want a damn Freezer it looks like backorders are gonna be delivered anywhere from August to October!!!!!

Terrible farging timing.
    for 8k you could build a small walk-in. :)

Terrible farging timing.
    Residential appliances aren't the only option, check restaurant supply stores. They have pretty affordable chest freezers anyway. Refers are pricey though.

Reactions: 1J04
    I'd love to buy a Frigidaire, and if you know of a place that has one that ships, I'm all in. I've never done craigslist, but that's a great option I never even thought of.

Dang that’s weird. I work at a dock here in Seattle now and I see 1 to 2 freighters loaded coming coming in every time I’m there. And depending on how much freezer room you need or if you really want to upgrade your cool factor, shop/man cave.... I have this for sale 😁

F3BA7803-A4B7-47F0-8029-FD38D4B188B7.jpeg

The freezer shortage around here is do to people waking up long before the C-19 op plan went into effect here. People who had a small one bought another from 14cf up to 27cf and are were filling them up quickly, long before the general public woke up, to what was/is/an about to happen. Food will be used as a weapon before all this shit is over. Around here there are more gardens than ever before, an the wild life is slowly being turned into frozen white paper packages. Even those who said it was nothing to worry about, are now rethinking, the head in the sand position. Many are hedging their bet's in the old ways, before elec-a-mo-tricity was ever known about.

Dang that’s weird. I work at a dock here in Seattle now and I see 1 to 2 freighters loaded coming coming in every time I’m there. And depending on how much freezer room you need or if you really want to upgrade your cool factor, shop/man cave.... I have this for sale 😁

View attachment 7340442

KEGERATOR !!!!!! I was just looking at them!! That's a big sumbitch though. Wanna PM me some details and what ya might want for it? I'm honestly interested............. And you're just not that far North of me really. 2- 2.5 hours.

Reactions: el-wood
    The freezer shortage around here is do to people waking up long before the C-19 op plan went into effect here. People who had a small one bought another from 14cf up to 27cf and are were filling them up quickly, long before the general public woke up, to what was/is/an about to happen. Food will be used as a weapon before all this shit is over. Around here there are more gardens than ever before, an the wild life is slowly being turned into frozen white paper packages. Even those who said it was nothing to worry about, are now rethinking, the head in the sand position. Many are hedging their bet's in the old ways, before elec-a-mo-tricity was ever known about.

Ya, kinda bad timing for Larry. I'm kinda screwed. These old relics have got to go, so I've gotta find something, somewhere. Who'd uh thunk? A gawd damn Freezer shortage..............

Ya, kinda bad timing for Larry. I'm kinda screwed. These old relics have got to go, so I've gotta find something, somewhere. Who'd uh thunk? A gawd damn Freezer shortage..............
    Take heart, if push comes to shove you can build a freezer using the A/C system from most rides. Built many of them for boats over the years. Just think out of the box,...

Larry, are you SURE those 'old relics' gotta go? They are still fixable, and the 'new crap' that you buy, ain't. Might want to look into doing a 'once-over' on what you have, before getting something 'lesser'.

Sean, if they were worth keeping, I would. Trust me on this, they complete and utter crap. My old one I brought to the new place is barely held together with rust EVERYWHERE. The one I inherited when we bought the place also has shitty seals like mine I brought with us. Oh, and the one we inherited stinks, like a lot. I've gone through it twice with simple green with minimal results. They both ice up pretty darn fast and are far from energy efficient. So, they're gonna be gone. I just did my concrete floor yesterday and I'll be go to hell if those are going back in that building. They're dead to me! :LOL:

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Home depot and Lowe's in my area have been sold out of freezer's for a month. When I looked on Craigslist a couple weeks ago the only option within 50 miles of me was someone selling a used 5ct ft chest freezer for $400.

Food scare definitely got people panic buying....

Ill third or fourth the Craigslist. If you can wait Best Buy is the place to shop. My washer just crapped out and I got a really nice LG (Life's Good) for $600, delivered, nothing down and 0% interest for 18 months. With tax works out to about $34 per month. Why spend your cash when they will finance it for you for nuttin.

Larry,
    Buy the biggest freezer you can get.
    We bought a 19cf upright and it's full.

You put an elk, a deer, some fish and a few pounds of chicken in a freezer under 20cf and you're out of room.

I'm gonna see about swatting a porker tomorrow night and if I get another one it'll have to go on the smoker poly, poly.

There won't be room in the freezer...

Darn the bad luck.

Residential appliances aren't the only option, check restaurant supply stores. They have pretty affordable chest freezers anyway. Refers are pricey though.
    And so many restaurants are going tits-up, there should be lots of bargains!

And buy American, Jimmy.

(How many squirrels you putting in that thing, anyway?)

Sirhr

You gotta think outside the box to get it done Jimmy...
    1.) Craigslist (has already been mentioned)
    2.) Estate sales
    3.) Local appliance repair companies
    4.) Local auctioneers (restaurant quality)
    5.) Raid any new construction homes 90% done in your area (after midnight)
    6.) Ask to see a home on the market, get the code of the lock box over the shoulder of the realtor. Keep doing this until you find the fridge and freezer you like, go back and get it (after midnight or when the homeowners aren’t there)
    7.) Call the local morgue. Since there is a shortage of COVID victims ask if they have any extra room/space for rent.

You’ll get there, you just need to think outside the box to get’r dun.

Buy American and don't buy shit appliances from big box stores.
    FRIGIDAIRE is made in the states and available here.

Except they are Swedish owned with some appliances made in the US and the rest Mexico. Not to mention they have horrible reliability ratings that I experienced first hand. Would never own another....

If you can find an old chest freezer that has no defrost feature, is of US manufacture and is in current use buy it. Anything that is defrost will destroy meat within less than a year. My old chest freezer would hold about five elk or three cows forever. Unfortunately a winter storm with 135MPH winds blew the loft off my barn and the freezer was soaked for months. Frost free freezers are worthless for long term storage.

Another possible option is to convert a cheap ass old top freezer/bottom fridge into a giant freezer. Neighbor did that gotta be 25 years ago when I was living in St. Pete. Different thermostat for fridge side....have to do some checking on the output of the unit to see if it can handle it, some insulation work but it worked amazing. I lived in a flood zone coupled with tons of power outages to boot during storm season he kept all our frozen goods on that thing with a generator up on cinder blocks was awesome!

Last edited:
    What Sihr said,

Unfortunately a lot of of restaurants and cafes do/will close. There will be deals to be had on some commercial grade equipment. A huge step up from what you get at a big box store.

I keep an eye for that $3k chest freezer from the Cafe that only lasted six months....on sale for $5-600....

ZY

I was looking for a freezer since Feb. and no one has them, they tell me their on order but the factories are shut down because of Rona.
    Found one at Sears, they just got it and we didn't want to wait for the 20'er so we took the 17'er they had but wasn't coming in until Aug.

If you can find an old chest freezer that has no defrost feature, is of US manufacture and is in current use buy it. Anything that is defrost will destroy meat within less than a year. My old chest freezer would hold about five elk or three cows forever. Unfortunately a winter storm with 135MPH winds blew the loft off my barn and the freezer was soaked for months. Frost free freezers are worthless for long term storage.

Learn something new everyday. I didn't not know that about the Frost Free Freezers. But I hate Chest Freezers. I have one at our Hunting Shack/Pole Building, and yes, it does hold Fish n Game very well.

What Sihr said,

Unfortunately a lot of of restaurants and cafes do/will close. There will be deals to be had on some commercial grade equipment. A huge step up from what you get at a big box store.

I keep an eye for that $3k chest freezer from the Cafe that only lasted six months....on sale for $5-600....

ZY

Hell, for that kinda deal I all of a sudden, for no particular reason, love Chest Freezers again. :ROFLMAO: I'll look into this as well.

Door seals abound, new freezers don't,....bird in the hand thing.

Damn You !!! Now I'm gonna have to go down the Rabbit Hole "TRYING" to find the right Seals for these damn things. I just know this ain't gonna be easy............

Gay-Bay is your friend, plus boob-tube has some install hints,...honey do up,...

I got booted from Gay-Bay years ago. How does that even happen? Well, they tried to Cowboy up and I told them bad things that made them question their sexuality, so they said you have to go now because we've never heard anyone say those kinda things in one sentence, and follow it up with "I mean it".

Follow Me for more Life Hacks...... :LOL:

• Haha
    Reactions: MtnCreek
    You JUST TOLD me you have Gorilla tape.

Look Pal. I just got done telling another Buddy I'd Duct Tape him to Maser if he wasn't careful. You wanna test out the Gorilla Tape? Go ahead, keep it up. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Sad
    Reactions: Lapuapalooza
    Bought a 20cf Maytag from Menard's April 6th. Everyplace was sold out then, but a few trickled in to Menards, none made it to the sales floor. Right place/right time. My old one still works, just starting to show some rust. Keep looking.

Just rip it off feckin fast man, dont be lollygagging :cautious:
    and you figured that out after learning that VEET hair remover on Amazon wasn't the right choice?

5.0 out of 5 stars A warning from across the pond...
    Reviewed in the United States on July 3, 2012

After having been told my danglies looked like an elderly rastafarian I decided to take the plunge and buy some of this as previous shaving attempts had only been mildly succesful and I nearly put my back out trying to reach the more difficult bits. Being a bit of a romantic I thought I would do the deed on the missus's birthday as a bit of a treat.
    I ordered it well in advance and working in the North sea I considerd myself a bit above some of the characters writing the previous reviews and wrote them off as soft office types...oh my fellow sufferers how wrong I was. I waited until the other half was tucked up in bed and after giving some vague hints about a special surprise I went down to the bathroom. Initially all went well and I applied the gel and stood waiting for something to happen.
    I didn't have long to wait. At first there was a gentle warmth which in a matter of seconds was replaced by an intense burning and a feeling I can only describe as like being given a barbed wire wedgie by two people intent on hitting the ceiling with my head. Religion hadn't featured much in my life until that night but I suddenly became willing to convert to any religion to stop the violent burning around the turd tunnel and what seemed like the destruction of the meat and two veg. Struggling to not bite through my bottom lip I tried to wash the gel of in the sink and only succeeded in blocking the plughole with a mat of hair. Through the haze of tears I struggled out of the bathroom across the hall into the kitchen by this time walking was not really possible and I crawled the final yard to the fridge in the hope of some form of cold relief. I yanked the freezer drawer out and found a tub of ice cream, tore the lid of and positioned it under me.
    The relief was fantastic but only temporary as it melted fairly quickly and the fiery stabbing soon returned .Due to the shape of the ice cream tub I hadn't managed to give the starfish any treatment and I groped around in the drawer for something else as I was sure my vision was going to fail fairly soon.I grabbed a bag of what I later found out was frozen sprouts and tore it open trying to be quiet as I did so.I took a handful of them and tried in vain to clench some between the cheeks of my arse. This was not doing the trick as some of the gel had found it's way up the chutney channel and it felt like the space shuttle was running it's engines behind me. This was probably and hopefully the only time in my life I was going to wish there was a gay snowman in the kitchen which should give you some idea of the depths I was willing to sink to in order to ease the pain.
    The only solution my pain crazed mind could come up with was to gently ease one of the sprouts where no veg had gone before. unfortunately, alerted by the strange grunts coming from the kitchen the other half chose that moment to come and investigate and was greeted by the sight of me, arse in the air, strawberry ice cream dripping from my bell end pushing a sprout up my arse while muttering..." Ooooh that feels good ". Understandably this was a shock to her and she let out a scream and as I hadn't heard her come in it caused an involutary spasm of shock in myself which resulted in the sprout being ejected at quite some speed in her direction. I can understand that having a sprout farted against your leg at 11 at night in the kitchen probably wasn't the special surprise she was expecting and having to explain to the kids the next day what the strange hollow in the ice cream was didn't improve my status...So to sum it up Veet removes hair, dignity and self respect...:)

• Haha
    Just rip it off feckin fast man, dont be lollygagging :cautious:

You're a quarter of the way to buying something outta the PX. Now scram. Go fuck with the guys in the Night Vision Devices Forum for a bit. Yes, we won't miss you, but you'll give those Night Rangers something to "focus" on if'n you're picking up what I'm throwing down......

• Haha
    Reactions: uffduh