• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fresh Reloads v. Stored Reloads

HumbleEinstein

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2013
Virginia
All things being equal, is there any evidence to suggest that fresh reloads shoot better than reloads that have been stored for months? I know bench rest guys reload on the firing line and I'm wondering why?

The only thing I can think of that might change over time is neck tension. Does it?

Last edited:
All things being equal, is there any evidence to suggest that fresh reloads shoot better than reloads that have been stored for months? I know bench rest guys reload on the firing line and I'm wondering why?

The only thing I can think of that might change over time is neck tension. Does it?
Yes. Some BR shooter seat long, and seat to length prior to match-as testing in their rifle(s) has shown a measureable difference in group size.

There is a difference b/t new and old. As an experiment, take some loads that have been loaded for months/years and try to seat them deeper. You will notice that is an audible click/pop as you break the cold weld b/t the brass and the bullet. I therefore will seat .020 longer when I'm storing and seat deeper the night before. This allows me to produce a lower ES.

The only thing I notice before I started ultra sonic cleaning was that necks built up a heavy carbin residue and that if the ammo sat for a month or two the FPS would rise as much as 200 fps on my 308.Since ultra sonic cleaning my brass and the necks are clean. My ammo can sit for a loooong time with no effect on FPS.Have clean brass and neck you wont have issues at all.Thinking of trying steel media for a perfect cleaning.

The only thing I notice before I started ultra sonic cleaning was that necks built up a heavy carbin residue and that if the ammo sat for a month or two the FPS would rise as much as 200 fps on my 308.Since ultra sonic cleaning my brass and the necks are clean. My ammo can sit for a loooong time with no effect on FPS.Have clean brass and neck you wont have issues at all.Thinking of trying steel media for a perfect cleaning.

Yeah, don't count on this too much.

Most who have been hyper-cleaning with SS media have reported issues with higher than normal seating pressure on their brass when loading their pro-JEC-tiles.

That little bit of carbon in the neck might be saving you from a nasty "cold weld" situation with rounds that sit for longer periods of time and are exposed to heat/cooling cycles.

A lot of us believe in completing one component of the reloading cycle at one sitting, i.e. all brass sized on the same day during the same session. "Spring-back" is a real phenomenon with brass, so there may well be something to the concept of aged ammunition, whether it be changes in neck tension or the dreaded "cold-weld" that does in fact change pressure in this ammo.

You have to watch out for the "carbin" :)

Whatever you do...always do it. If your necks are clean...always load them clean. If you don't clean your brass very well...do that every time.

Unless you are shooting sub 5" groups at 1000 I wouldn't worry about it.