• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fridges, whats the best one out there

Yeah... you and me both... But, good luck with that... all the kids are enamored with French door models today. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if the nicer SBS models go the way of the dinosaurs before long as well.

You can't put anything in the stupid beasts.

I dont get the disdain for the french door refrigerators... I can fit just as much or more in my french door model as a SxS. I think most of the big ones are all 26 cu. ft. no matter which style you get. Im guessing(without looking up the specs) that the freezer in mine is smaller at the expense of a larger refrigerator section, but im ok with that. I also like the fact I can put much wider items in the french door fridge that would never in a million years fit in a SxS model. I can fit PLENTY in my french door, but we have all square storage containers so it makes it easier(whoever invented round storage containers can blow me).

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I dont get the disdain for the french door refrigerators... I can fit just as much or more in my french door model as a SxS. I think most of the big ones are all 26 cu. ft. no matter which style you get. Im guessing(without looking up the specs) that the freezer in mine is smaller at the expense of a larger refrigerator section, but im ok with that. I also like the fact I can put much wider items in the french door fridge that would never in a million years fit in a SxS model. I can fit PLENTY in my french door, but we have all square storage containers so it makes it easier(whoever invented round storage containers can blow me).

The thing that sucks is the freezer compartment.

Shit just ends up getting jumbled in their, no organization.

That and the one I had the freezer box had to be "sloped" in the back to allow for the operating gear.

We run a seperate freezer in the garage so that would mitigate some of the issue these days, sucked back when we ran a FD.

They make a long, thin brush for that. Go to an appliance parts place, they should sell them.

They are actually pretty accessible from the back of the fridge.

Cleaned them last nigh but they were not a mess to begin with.

The thing that sucks is the freezer compartment.

Shit just ends up getting jumbled in their, no organization.

That and the one I had the freezer box had to be "sloped" in the back to allow for the operating gear.

We run a seperate freezer in the garage so that would mitigate some of the issue these days, sucked back when we ran a FD.

I can buy into that on the freezer. My wife and I are not big on frozen food items save for ice cream and chicken breasts so our freezer is usually mostly empty. Ill take the way better upper 2/3 in exchange for a smaller freezer. I tried to find a 36" refrigerator only, but as a few already alluded to they dont exist outside of maybe an 8k dollar sub zero.

And if you can get away with NOT having ice and water in the door(a HUGE hog on space IMO) we got a Whirlpool WRF535SWHZ which has a water dispenser INSIDE the fridge on the left side wall(takes up no space) and has ice in the freezer... We had the same model in our previous house, just a black version instead of stainless, so we obviously like the setup. I couldnt get on board with ice in the door which meant you lost a ton of space in the fridge.

I can buy into that on the freezer. My wife and I are not big on frozen food items save for ice cream and chicken breasts so our freezer is usually mostly empty. Ill take the way better upper 2/3 in exchange for a smaller freezer. I tried to find a 36" refrigerator only, but as a few already alluded to they dont exist outside of maybe an 8k dollar sub zero.

And if you can get away with NOT having ice and water in the door(a HUGE hog on space IMO) we got a Whirlpool WRF535SWHZ which has a water dispenser INSIDE the fridge on the left side wall(takes up no space) and has ice in the freezer... We had the same model in our previous house, just a black version instead of stainless, so we obviously like the setup. I couldnt get on board with ice in the door which meant you lost a ton of space in the fridge.

Made a service appointment and talked to Bosch.

Bosch thinks the problem is going to be a relay or control board. My mind tells me thats less than a $500 repair.

Ice/water dispensers are the biggest ass aches in fridges.

My family wont live without now that they have had one.

This fridge...

https://www.doyonsappliance.net/product/whirlpool-2849-cu-ft-side-by-side-refrigerator-wrs588fih-342476

Contains everything in the freezer and with our extra downstairs capacity its not a sacrifice to space.

Likely this will result in another fridge purpose one way or another.

My daughter takes medication that needs refrigeration and knowing that shit sits inside a beverage cooler in my living room right now sucks. It also takes up a lot of food storage space.

Second 30 inch fridge to sit next to the 30 inch freezer seems to be in my future.

My parents had a Coldspot in the garage that was used as extra storage. I replaced the compressor in 83. Unfortunately, after my parents had passed in 2000 we didn't have any place to put it. Donated it to a veterans organization, still running. It was purchased after dad was transferred back to the lower 48 in 1958.:)

Who here remembers Norge?

My parents bought a Norge upright freezer in 1968. It is still running today.

Reactions: fx77
I hit the link and saw the fridge and said, boy, I like that.
Then I saw the price, 18k???
Haha! Yep pricey!! I think I paid 11k. I think it's made out of Chineseium. Today all these appliance makers have consolidated/ sold out whatever.... It's a crapshoot. Warranty, Service SUCKS. IF you get a good one that lasts anywhere near what they should,your fortunate. I've actually had pretty decent luck with whirlpool., crap... I just jinx that!

1594315419816.png

sorry but i had to hahah

Pulling the trigger on this......

and this.....

Little guy will go in garage for medicine/emergencies. Big guy will add 6CF to what we currently have. Probably cost me $500 to fix the current one, 1/5 the cost of buying these two and no guarantee it wont die next week.

Reactions: oneshot86
Got the little Danby shoved in the basement temporarily until I make a home for it.....just fit in the Volvo station wagon.

1594344950743.png

Between my wife making a corona virus office down there, my coronavirus gun buys and the stockpile of kids unused due to coronavirus sports gear there was just enough room.

By the way...that little blue cooler pictured has been a dynamite purchase. Its a little fridge we bought for a cross country drive to WYO from MA. Absolutely reliable the last 6 years. We have concerns about meds that need refrigeration and in the family car as well hotel rooms it has been perfect. Too bad they dont make room fridges. Got to be made in Fluland but they got this one right.

Im going to build a level pad in the garage for the fridge/freezer. the sloped floor drives me nuts with the freezer being out there sitting on blocks. Might as well do it right.

Big boy fridge comes at the end of the month.

Last edited:
Stay away from lg & Samsung. Just sayin

Samsung got rated one of the best mfg.'s of appliances last year or the year before?

I just got a house and all the shit was Samsung. So I got a Samsung refrigerator and washer/dryer. The washer/dryer are the shit, hold way more, get clothes much cleaner. The refrigerator, it's dead on the money with the temp. adj. and no complaints other than it'd have been nice if they'd put a light on the water dispenser.

I forget the last one I had but it came with the house so probably 2000ish. Was still working fine when I left in November. Never had to work on it once. I think it was a Frigidaire.

My sister, she bought into the whole Alexa shit. So now Amazon and every other corporation, presumably her insurance company, now know every item in the fridge, who eats what and when. Wow. Not me man.

Another person I know got that shit and the computer shit in the door died like 2 years later. It's not warranted for as long as the refrigerator either.

Stay away from lg & Samsung. Just sayin

This morning I have to take everything out of our POS 5 YO Samsung and access the fan inside that has frozen up again. This is a common problem, and despite having performed two of Samsung's "fixes", it continues to happen. It doesn't take an engineer to see that the whole design is severely flawed and is farm-animal stupid. All I get is a FU from Samsung. I think there's a class action in the works, but we all know how those work.

Reactions: BufordTJustice
Appliances are a Hot/Cold emotional commodity.

For every positive review there is a negative one.

Problem I think is that few give a shit anymore about what they do and no one is held accountable when they fuck up.

Instead of taking pride in your job, people say fuck it and on one day you may get the best fridge in the world the next day you get a dog.

Reading internet comments over the last few days they really varied. One minute I was like "Yes, must buy this." than the next comment had me thinking "How do they get away with such malfeasance".

I made my choices, made my bed so to speak, now must sleep in it.

Wife is away and sent an email last night that she was all on board about get the small Danby fridge but wanted to discuss the kitchen buy.

My reply was "I already pulled the trigger after consulting Snipers Hide on what we need to buy for the house."

Appliances are a Hot/Cold emotional commodity.

For every positive review there is a negative one.

Problem I think is that few give a shit anymore about what they do and no one is held accountable when they fuck up.

Instead of taking pride in your job, people say fuck it and on one day you may get the best fridge in the world the next day you get a dog.

Reading internet comments over the last few days they really varied. One minute I was like "Yes, must buy this." than the next comment had me thinking "How do they get away with such malfeasance".

I made my choices, made my bed so to speak, now must sleep in it.

Wife is away and sent an email last night that she was all on board about get the small Danby fridge but wanted to discuss the kitchen buy.

My reply was "I already pulled the trigger after consulting Snipers Hide on what we need to buy for the house."

Necro thread update…..

What my modestly priced fridge choice became…..

image.jpg

A broken fridge turned into a kitchen addition…everything beyond the wall left of the fridge used to be my outdoor porch..

image.jpg

First time I noticed this thread. Just went through replacing a freezer. Talked to the appliance guys in town and the one thing they all agreed on was to never, ever buy anything that used R600 refrigerant.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Sub Zero, separate compressors for fridge and freezer if one fails the other is still running. Easy to replace if one fails.

Now here is a OLD OLD GE with bottom slide out freezer, the cats meow in its day. Still running.

View attachment 7370023
Show me a new fridge that will be running n 50 years……

Reactions: camocorvette
First time I noticed this thread. Just went through replacing a freezer. Talked to the appliance guys in town and the one thing they all agreed on was to never, ever buy anything that used R600 refrigerant.

Thank you,
MrSmith
Unfortunately, R600 is going to be in all the new units going forward. R134A is done for

When it comes to modern appliances, it’s planned obsolescence.

5-7 years is the average lifespan.

You buy a LG? lol. 2 years in, your fridge compressor shits out and you have a $600+ repair on your hands.

Modern appliances are shit and designed to fail.

We bought a Samsung refrigerator probably about 7 years ago and have had no problems.

It's a french door refrigerator on top and a pull out freezer on the bottom. It has a water dispenser inside (not in the door) and the ice maker dumps into a tray in the freezer.

I change the filter once or twice a year or whenever the ice maker stops working due to low flow.

A screw on one of the shelves pulled out (the shelf that's usually loaded with beer bottles). I replaced it with a larger screw and it's held just fine.

Not modern but functional. I bought it from and old couple in1970 who bought it in 1950 for keeping nightcrawlers but now it stores beer. Allis Chalmers 14 cu. ft.

1670755444923.png

our old fridge lasted 20+ years find it hard to believe anything built now a days last 1/2 that long goes for cars and building .

I spent $1300 for a compressor replacement last year on our 30year old 48 inch Subzero because it had given us such long service. Working great, no rust anywhere and seals are good.

Reactions: BadDogPSD
Refrig. Sub Zero
My mother had one refrigerator and one freezer separate units, 30 years in her house not one repair for either.

I have one 30 years old. Then it was about 3000$. There was a refrigerant leak in the coil for the refrigerator which is located behind the back wall. Called service 800 number and a guy showed up on a Sunday. He had been serviceing these units for 29 years. He said I need a new coil and refrigerant. for $1500. So I said ."wouldn't it be cheaper to get a new unit.?" Mine was then 27 years old. He said,"no way ,new one is 10K$, "Replaced the part and still going strong.

How many disputes there are around the freezer, hm... I'd gladly buy a refrigerator without a freezer at all because we took the freezer before the sale of our grocery store. It's good to have your own business if all the equipment can be sold at a high price or continue to be used at home. Although, I must admit that we are also the most frequent customers of the appliance repair company https://musiccityappliance.services/. I told my father that he shouldn't save money on refrigerators, but he didn't listen. Now I look at the pictures of little Danby here and think this is a perfect option for me. My dad and I will be satisfied with its capacity and let my mom and sister look for a french door refrigerator, lol.
GOTTA be a spam bot account/post

Necro thread update…..

What my modestly priced fridge choice became…..

View attachment 8018100

A broken fridge turned into a kitchen addition…everything beyond the wall left of the fridge used to be my outdoor porch..

View attachment 8018101
HOLEEEEEEE FUCK, @pmclaine !!!! I bet all THAT shit didn't fit in the Volvo (really, a Volvo? Nothing says leftist, masked, gloved, vaxxed and shit more than Volvo...maybe except Subaru) wagon.

/sarcasm

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pmclaine
Our last house had Thermador/Bosch appliances. Very good quality. The oven was a bit slow to heat to temp, but held temp very well once there. The dishwashers were so quiet, you couldn't here them until they hit a drain cycle. We did have to replace the condenser on the refer after 18 years, but no other problems.

We got a kitchen full of Samsung stuff 6-7 years ago. Fridge is great except for the ice maker. Samsung replaced all that for free this year and it’s ok again. Dishwasher suffered a common failure in year 3. I fixed it myself for about $100. I also got a free dishwasher of similar model on Facebook with the same issue. Replaced the same part and epoxied a magnet on another part and sold it for $400. The oven/range is really nice and the microwave I love. Dishwasher cleans great and after the fix has been flawless. Gonna need new racks soon. They’re starting to rust and lose some tines. I really like the fridge besides the ice maker issues.

Buy kitchen appliances from appliance manufacturers, not folks that make phones. I tried a Samsung fridge but it died fast, did get to bang the chick that sold it to me so it was worth it.

The best refrigerator I'll ever own....."Roper"
I guess they're a division of Whirlpool. I bought this fridge 30 years ago. Used it at home for many years, them moved it to the cabin for the past 21 years. It's hard living at the cabin, hot in the Summer, freezing in the Winter. Many times I get down there in the Winter and it's zero in the house.
That little fridge won't quit. I love it !

Reactions: fx77
I use a compact mini colored fridge from Bougerv. It's energy-efficient and has a decent capacity for storing beverages and snacks. The adjustable temperature control allows me to customize the cooling settings based on my needs. It's compact enough to fit in small spaces yet spacious enough to hold essentials for daily use.
Your post history suggests that you are a bot.

My Sub Zero is still going at 30 + years old and my new house will also get one.

I am not the original owner but my GE Americana refrigerator has been running for 59 years straight.
Purchased in 1965 along with a matching electric GE cooktop that has the controls on the
range hood. The cook top is gone but the frige lives on.

Not mine but this is what it looks like.

1711453777528.jpeg

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I have a bougerv compact colored fridge. It's reliable, energy-efficient, and has ample space for storing beverages and snacks. The adjustable thermostat allows me to control the temperature based on what I'm storing.

Last edited:
Kitchenaid (whirlpool) side by side. Bought in 2020 when appliances were nearly impossible to get. So far, it's been fine.