• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fridges, whats the best one out there

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    My shit appliance luck continues.

Everything is at that 10 year point so it's timed failure.

Need to replace the Bosch.....

image.jpg

Whirlpool Gold series tends to have a good reputation. We ended up with a Frigidaire however, with all other appliances being Whirlpool Gold. I believe this was due to no option for a smudgeproof stainless at the time and the refrigerator serving as a great big canvas for my kids fingerprints. We also elected the side by side vs the french door model as the thought of all the weight with the kids leaning on that bottom drawer and digging for crap at the bottom of the "freezer" didn't really sit well with me. I have no regrets. My biggest complaint is the ice dispenser and the fact that I typically end up with more cubes on the floor than I do in the cup. I have a buddy that is the store manager for our local Warners' Stellian and he says by far the number one service call/issue with refrigerator/freezers is with the ice makers and/or dispensers. If you can live without the dispenser, sounds like you can mitigate some potential headaches. Granted, the last time I looked at all this stuff was over 5 years ago when we built our house...so not sure what all has changed since then.

Subzero is definitely the best. Kenmore is what I can afford (and has done well for me).

Reactions: 338dude
    Sub Zero costs loittle more than an AIAX :)
    My mom had one 30 years no repairs
    I have had mine 30 years 2 repairs
    Service 800 number 24/7 in my AO as well, but it is expensive ,but you get what U pay for...buy once etc...

Reactions: 338dude
    When is the last time you pulled it out and cleaned all the dust bunnies out of the radiator?

Its probably mad at you.
    Be careful with this, because the longer they sit/age, the more they turn into Veloci-bunnies. Never pull your fridge out, "unarmed". That being said, just 'in general' there have been so many complaints about "appliances dying" prematurely, and I've a 30 y/o coldspot fridge downstairs (I think that's the brand) that hasn't had a hickup in forever.

My long, drawn-out, blathering point actually being.... I've been thinking HARD about actually going the "Built-In" route, next. As in, YOU control the make-up of the walls and door and their insulation value. You create the shelving/drawers that you want. Install an actual "industrial" quality refrigeration unit (have that part done) and then the actual components are serviceable and replaceable.

As opposed to more 'disposable' fridges. Which is just-plain-stupid, truly.

When is the last time you pulled it out and cleaned all the dust bunnies out of the radiator?

Its probably mad at you.

Considering a service call will be $200 to have the guy cross the threshold than time on deck, parts, labor if the thing is repairable.

This Bosch has had two compressors installed so far. Parts covered I paid labor. Being a sealed system surprised I ve got this much out of it.

Coils are under fridge. How do you clean those fuckers? Tilt it back?

Whirlpool/Maytag/Kitchenaid was what we bought after my ridiculous amount of research 2 months ago...

LG and Samsung "look" cool, but nobody stocks parts or knows how to repair them WHEN they break.

GE is owned by Haier which is the Chinese...so hard pass...

Whirlpool can get serviced, parts, etc... and its at least North American owned(I believe its joint USA/Canadian company) and mostly NA assembled as well, im sure from "global" parts. You wont find the crazy deals that LG, Samsung and GE offer because I think Whirlpool understands the sentiment going around after Covid19...

Whirlpool/Maytag/Kitchenaid was what we bought after my ridiculous amount of research 2 months ago...

LG and Samsung "look" cool, but nobody stocks parts or knows how to repair them WHEN they break.

GE is owned by Haier which is the Chinese...so hard pass...

Whirlpool can get serviced, parts, etc... and its at least North American owned(I believe its joint USA/Canadian company) and mostly NA assembled as well, im sure from "global" parts. You wont find the crazy deals that LG, Samsung and GE offer because I think Whirlpool understands the sentiment going around after Covid19...
    Stay away from lg & Samsung. Just sayin

Reactions: yakstone and plong
    Just gave away a 10-yr old Whirlpool Gold side-by-side that was still going strong. Finally just got tired of SBS design. Think I've heard just about all the American branded appliances are owned by one company and made on the same assembly lines. I know a Kitchen Aid microwave I bought at discount to match fridge and new WP oven was identical except for the logo.

KitchenAid is Whirlpool’s “upscale“ line. More often than not the insides are identical on the newer models, plus or minus a few “features”. That being said nothing made today is going to last like one made 30 or more years ago; a knowledgeable (and honest...) vendor will readily volunteer that info. Just the way it is...
    I buy six-figures worth of appliances year in and out... I tend to stick with Whirlpool and KitchenAid for personal purchases. YMMV, of course... 😉

Just gave away a 10-yr old Whirlpool Gold side-by-side that was still going strong. Finally just got tired of SBS design. Think I've heard just about all the American branded appliances are owned by one company and made on the same assembly lines. I know a Kitchen Aid microwave I bought at discount to match fridge and new WP oven was identical except for the logo.

Love to get a top freezer, bottom fridge with ice maker and door water. 36 inch width full depth. Hinged on left.

Not seeing it.

Its probably mad at you.

Pulled it out and accessed the coil behind the bottom panel.

Didn't look bad. Vacuumed off some dust bunnies but it wasn't close to disastrous.

Coil fan is spinning free and running hard.

Just seems like the compressor is not being started up.

KitchenAid is Whirlpool’s “upscale“ line. More often than not the insides are identical on the newer models, plus or minus a few “features”. That being said nothing made today is going to last like one made 30 or more years ago; a knowledgeable (and honest...) vendor will readily volunteer that info. Just the way it is...
    I buy six-figures worth of appliances year in and out... I tend to stick with Whirlpool and KitchenAid for personal purchases. YMMV, of course... 😉

I'll look to see if there is a Kitchenaid version of that Whirlpool I posted.

My only concern is that it will fit so tight in my cutout it won't breath.

I would have space on top, two inches to left, nothing to the right.

Yeah... you and me both... But, good luck with that... all the kids are enamored with French door models today. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if the nicer SBS models go the way of the dinosaurs before long as well.

Considering a service call will be $200 to have the guy cross the threshold than time on deck, parts, labor if the thing is repairable.

This Bosch has had two compressors installed so far. Parts covered I paid labor. Being a sealed system surprised I ve got this much out of it.

You got a fetish for German brands for sure...

I have had two LGs now for a total of eight years. They have worked super well. I have needed three repairs over the 8 years. One was a compressor but they covered that one so it was great.

I will have to replace them soon though I am sure. I haven't looked at refrigerators in a long time. I may go this route again.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Reactions: pmclaine
    I'll look to see if there is a Kitchenaid version of that Whirlpool I posted.

My only concern is that it will fit so tight in my cutout it won't breath.

I would have space on top, two inches to left, nothing to the right.
    One inch each side, with some room above should be fine. FWIW: if the Whirlpool has the features you’re looking for I wouldn’t pay for the KitchenAid premium. You won’t get any more life... The only reason to pay for KitchenAid over a comparable Whirlpool is to get a feature you really want. Example: the KitchenAid wall oven I purchased offered concealed elements, the comparable Whirlpool model had exposed elements.

Reactions: pmclaine
    build a walk in it will hold everything including the dead bodies at least long enough for you to figure out what to do with them .... not to mention keep your beer cold they get far colder than a normal refrigerator
    1594254558582.png

imagine it all for you in your own home the very thought should bring a tear of joy to your eyes no kids walking in letting your beer get warm hell no just you and your favorite items ready for your tv viewing pleasure ,yea you still have way too many tv commercials disrupting your show and your wife can still yell but you can't hear her in there that fridge could make your suffering a little bit better and that makes it worth the extra cost . add your own American flag touches and a Swedish masseuse in the back and no one will see from you again till your ready .

Yeah... you and me both... But, good luck with that... all the kids are enamored with French door models today. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if the nicer SBS models go the way of the dinosaurs before long as well.

You can't put anything in the stupid beasts.

Reactions: plong
    Amana used to be the best. Ours lasted 18 years. The motor was giving out, so before it did I replaced the fridge with a cheap Frigidaire. Noisy when it is running. I wouldn't take anybody's word here, so the best authority I know of, would be Consumer Reports Magazine.

I don't understand why you cant get a reasonably priced full size (freezerless) refrigerator. The few that are available before you go Sub Zero level just don't have the volume.

I don't understand why you cant get a reasonably priced full size (freezerless) refrigerator. The few that are available before you go Sub Zero level just don't have the volume.
    Again: demand! If there was any they’d be available. I’m telling you all ( And I do mean ALL...) of the kids today want those stupid (IMHO, of course..) French door fridges. Ask me how I know... 😉

Again: demand! If there was any they’d be available. I’m telling you all ( And I do mean ALL...) of the kids today want those stupid (IMHO, of course..) French door fridges. Ask me how I know... 😉
    They are there but they cost some $$$. Foodservice industry uses freezerless units.

Traulsen makes them but the cost makes Subzero look like Kenmore

They are there but they cost some $$$. Foodservice industry uses freezerless units.

Traulsen makes them but the cost makes Subzero look like Kenmore
    Yeah... I’m not including commercial and/or food service brands and models in my statements. There’s allot of that kinda stuff out there that really isn’t practical for or relevant to a typical residential use. I’m not sure either way but I also question if many of those units would be letter-o-the-law legal for a residential installation. As always YMMV.

Reactions: Nik H
    They have a 36 inch width but it's like 96 inches tall.

What I got to work with.....

View attachment 7369919
    Ugh... see what you mean... that’s kinda tight. We’ve been designing with a minimum 39” width for the refrigerator opening since the manufacturers started changing their specs in the early ‘90s.
    Really nice inset-door cabinetry, by the way! Margins look to be darn-near perfect... that’s not an easy detail to execute.

Last edited:
    You could consider cutting the filler strip on the left of the fridge flush with the bottom of the upper cabinet. That would give you an additional 1-1/2” to 2” in width to work with. Honestly, that’s how I’d have designed it to start with... but that’s just me...😉

Yeah... I’m not including commercial and/or food service brands and models in my statements. There’s allot of that kinda stuff out there that really isn’t practical for or relevant to a typical residential use. I’m not sure either way but I also question if many of those units would be letter-o-the-law legal for a residential installation. As always YMMV.
    Yeah not sure about the legality with respect to the refrigerators. I know commercial stoves for restaurants are verboten in residential situations. They use a larger gas feed to ensure that people don't do it. The lack of insulation can cause some nasty burns and it is not zero clearance unless the wall is covered in metal or tile with ceramic underlayment like a wood stove.

I wouldn't sweat the refrigerators too much. Look at a Traulsen's build quality and you will be like shit. Solid stainless inside and out. Dual compressors and absolutely rock solid temp control. But they are big, heavy, electricity pigs and close to 2X the cost of a Subzero. And if you had a fire, you are probably right about legal

Ugh... see what you mean... that’s kinda tight. We’ve been designing with a minimum 39” width for the refrigerator opening since the manufacturers started changing their specs in the early ‘90s.
    Really nice inset-door cabinetry, by the way! Margins look to be darn-near perfect... that’s not an easy detail to execute.

My wife loved those cabinets when she picked them out....Plain and Fancy with a nothing plain sticker price. after twelve years now she is tired of them and wants to have them repainted.

The opening has about 2-3 inches of space on the left side, there is just a filler piece against the left wall.

The existing fridge is counter depth but due to a fuck up in planning we pull it forward so that it does not interfere with the wall to the left and we get a wider opening. Originally we had a french door fridge and it didnt have the issue of the Bosch side x side.

I ran an on board diagnostic on the fridge and it shows nothing is wrong.....turn off fridge, wait 5 minutes, press two buttons simultaneously and it counts through about 16 features. when it was done it didnt give me an error code.

Gots to be a solenoid or something just not kicking in the compressor.

Plain-n-Fancy... I should’ve picked up on that without being told... They were doing inset doors and drawers ( and doing it quite well...) before most other manufacturers even dared to try. Still do it better than most... And, yes... They are quite proud of their work 😉!

Sub Zero, separate compressors for fridge and freezer if one fails the other is still running. Easy to replace if one fails.

Now here is a OLD OLD GE with bottom slide out freezer, the cats meow in its day. Still running.

IMAG2707.jpg

Sub Zero, separate compressors for fridge and freezer if one fails the other is still running. Easy to replace if one fails.

Now here is a OLD OLD GE with bottom slide out freezer, the cats meow in its day. Still running.

View attachment 7370023
    My grandparents were GE dealers for the Texas gulf coast in the 50’s -60’s and had he GE kitchen of the future . It was sea green enameled metal cabinets with stainless steel counter tops. Fridge and freezers were the upper cabinets. A panel slid over to expose 4 stove elements and a griddle. Also had a trash compactor and a hidden drive unit by the sink that drove a blender, mixer one other tools.it was all still working when she sold the house in the 90’s

Myself, I have a 35 year old subzero

Sub Zero that came with the house, still gettin it done after 33 yrs. Freezer compressor gave it up about 5 years ago, but we were back in business that afternoon. We also have had good luck with a Whirlpool Gold in our utility room, 24 years.

They make a long, thin brush for that. Go to an appliance parts place, they should sell them.