• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Friend needs real world advise on new rifle choice

Phil Burns

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2010
West Virginia, USA
for his Son.Got a pal that is wanting to get a new rifle for his son. .
The boy hunts from a platform elevated stand we built for him and is a pretty good shot, and can shoot with
a bipod from his stand. He is thinking of either a .260 or
.308 in something like the DPMS LR series. Only question is how accurate are they REALLY??? I have 40+ years of
reloading experience and his dad is a long time reloader as well. While we both have .223 AR's neither of us has any
experience with the larger calibers in an AR. Bolt actions are tough for him although he can do it. We are just trying
to find something that will make his hunting a little easier and more fun. Ranges will not be beyond 300 yards. Thanks for
any input you can offer on an AR in either of these two cals. Just how good does YOURS shoot??

Re: Friend needs real world advise on new rifle choice

The 308 DPMS LR is very accurate, mine is a ragged hole fun with Fed GMM. I've got a 6.5CM on the way from them that I expect fantastic things out of.

.308 DPMS is a great choice.I have seen several and they all shoot very well

I have a 6.5 Grendel and a 223, I have shot 308 platforms, and all in all, the AR platform performs. 260 is a sweet cartridge, but unless the kid can't handle a 308, he will probably want the extra stopping power especially inside 300 yards. DPMS stuff is pretty good, with a few mods I have seen wicked LR308s.

Yes, the 6.5 Grendel is an awesome, awesome round. Also, you could just buy an upper and throw it on a 5.56 lower. I think 6.5 Grendel matched with the new 3-9 SWFA SS is a great combo.

Like other above have mentioned, have you thought about the 6.5 grendel?

Great round for deer and coyotes, and I have killed many a pig with the same round as long as I place the shot appropriately. Is is a very soft recoiling, and you get the versatility (and lower cost) of going with the -15 platform as opposed to the -10/Lr-308.

I know you said you reload but just in case you don't want to add another round to your reloading mix, Hornady now loads some great ammo for it in the 123 A-max.

260, 6.5 or 6.8 would all work great. The bigger the caliber the more he will be able to "grow" into a larger caliber and take longer shots at bigger game. Take a bit of a stretch and make sure that while he is still comfortable with shooting the gun the power will give him some room to grow.

Good luck.

They can be very accurate but are difficult to handle/shoot to their potential.

The DPMS AP4 carbine is lightweight, 16", 308 and cheap with about 1MOA accuracy with good ammunition. Something like that with a smaller optic would probably handle well on a stand + in brush and has enough punch to kill deer and pigs.

edit: 6.5-6.8 in small frame would be MUCH easier on a kid though.

in total agreeance with above on the 6.5/6.8 caliber for hunting <300 yds... more than enough for deer/pig and all wrapped up in a cost effective, lightweight AR package.. I hunt with a 6.8 AR myself..