• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

froglube and tw25b not that great?

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    I've always used something like CLP on my AR's and had no problems. So Ive tried using both Froglube and TW25b on a couple occasions, SEPARATE occasions obviously. Both of them were great right after the application. Glass smooth hand cycling. Then after 50-100 rounds of use they both seemed to disappoint me. Fronglube made it seem like I'm not using any lube at all and it was dry. TW25b worked OK, but the BCG was definitely not as smooth as with some oil. The main are that BOTH of them seemed to really show weakness is on the bolt itself. The area between the bolt and BCG where it rides would get either bone dry (froglube) or gritty (TW25b). Before use, flicking the bcg would move the bolt in the BCG smoothly, but after use with either of those lubes, the bolt would not move upon flicking the bcg. With oils like CLP this was not a problem.

Lately I have been using EWL slp2000 oil it seems to perform pretty well.

I really wanted to like the other two options, since I have heard nothing but good things, so whats the deal. Am I applying them incorrectly? I apply them just as the instructions dictate. Anyone else experience this?

I've been using Froglube for a couple years now. Have not experienced this. Do you heat your parts up and apply it? It takes a few applications before it really works well. Eventually when you're bolt and carrier heat up it will seep out of the pores.

I use TW25B on semi pistol slides and the bolt rifle bolt track. Works great. Doesnt evaporate on the duty gun lasts for months either in the holster or after firing multiple sessions.

I think the ARs need something "wetter". Ive been usong Slip 2000 and have a bottle of Fireclean to try after the next cleaning.

I've been using nothing but Break-Free CLP for the last 20 years...most of my supply is from 15 years ago. Never had a single issue or rust in any firearm, bolt or semi auto. I would stick with what works. Never tried frog lube, unicorn tears, KY jelly, or other "environmentally friendly" lubes. I see no need to reinvent the wheel if you know what works. Just my opinion.

We use the TW25 in our chain guns, it's not that great for an AR. I like EWL 30 lately myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what I posted a while back on the subject (ribbit... ribbit... ribbit)
    Never have believed in a lube that had to placed on hot gun parts to work let alone made from vegetables. Had a problem with it "gumming" up my AR during the winter, in Arizona like we have one, and Frog Lube wouldn't refund the purchase price and said I didn't apply it per their directions which I had to go to their website to get the "FULL" instructions on heating the gun parts, applying the lube and so forth and so on and the only way I could get my money back is if it was spoiled. (Spoiled!!? WTF, a gun lube spoil) Now those instructions were not included with the product. But I understand if you don't like it as a lube you can use it for a lip balm or maybe a salve if you happen to have a chapped ass. Disappointing see how they wave the banner of being a veteran owned business but won't support veterans that have issues with their products and want a refund. They got my money, but only once. Got a bottle and jar of lip balm when the SHTF for bartering.

I have been using All Temp Tactical Lube that I found and the SAR show in December at the Phoenix Fair Grounds for the past four years and love it. Just strted on my second bottle, doesn't take much to make that gun run. Check out the website and see if it is something you may like: alltemptacticallube.com

I used to use FrogLube when I was shooting all the time. I loved it; until I went 2 months without shooting. Pull my bolt guns and my pistols out of the safe after they had been stored with froglube, and it had gummed up and turned a rusty brown color. Ruined the firing pin by gumming it up so bad in one of my bolt guns, and it was so sticky on my Kimber I could rack the slide back, and it would slowly crawl home... I threw every bottle of FrogLube that I had in the garbage, and switched over to FIREClean. Never looked back. By the way, I applied the froglube exactly as their directions said.

Last edited:
    damn bio-based lubs WILL with heat will break down ,now add-in burnt powder to the mix plus moisture ...you end up with coke gumming and yes this eats up gas rings etc ...no more lub Synthetic oil is the rule to go by ...who makes the best is the way to go -same with Polytetrafluoroethylene it another thing to ban from weapons as a lub ...it breaks down and gums up the works... so think before you use junk lub on a weapon, which you life may depend on

I use the tw on other stuff like my glock and it seems fine, but it just gums up the Ar's. I haven't malfunctioned from it (high quality rifles shouldn't anyways), but I don't like it.

I use to use mobile 1 and it worked splendid. I just didn't care for my guns/rifles smelling like a car engine. Regular lubes like clp work just fine too, it just gets pretty Damn gritty here from all the sand in AZ. Everything still runs well and never shows a problem, but if I can find something that will prevent the grittyness then perfect.

I will try fireclean.

Frog lube was 2012's Tickle Me Elmo. Get some real oil and don't look back. Pull the dipstick out of your car or lawnmower if you have to; any oil should be more than adequate for an AR15.

I'm new to AR platform rifles, so hearing about different oils brings me to this question. Has anybody tried Exon Mobile 2380? It is used for jet engines. If it works for high rpms and heat, why wouldn't it work for rifles?

G5guy

I use the tw on other stuff like my glock and it seems fine, but it just gums up the Ar's. I haven't malfunctioned from it (high quality rifles shouldn't anyways), but I don't like it.

I use to use mobile 1 and it worked splendid. I just didn't care for my guns/rifles smelling like a car engine. Regular lubes like clp work just fine too, it just gets pretty Damn gritty here from all the sand in AZ. Everything still runs well and never shows a problem, but if I can find something that will prevent the grittyness then perfect.

I will try fireclean.

Timelinex
    The reason you stated about the sand out here in the desert is exactly why I went to the All Temp Lube. It will not attract dust or dirt. I put it on and run my guns and have never had one issue. Last I heard Ron was going for DoD approval on this product which speaks volumes about the quality of the lube. He went through a lot of testing at Ft. Lewis against other manufacturers and got the nod for the DoD review. Just a little tid bit for a Tuesday. If you want to try some give me a PM. I'm here on the west side.

The gas system on an AR is essentially an internal combustion engine. I use Mobil 1 without issue. Makes carbon removal easy as well using WD40 for cleaning solvent. YMMV

We use TW25B on our GAU-2 (7.62 Mini Guns) and it works well in that application, but I've always used a generous application of CLP for all my semi-autos and it works just fine. I don't see how Froglube or any other can offer me that much of a benefit over CLP to warrant me paying a ridiculous price for it.

That being said, I've also seen a lot of gentlemen recommending the use of Mobil 1 synthetic of various weights for their semi autos. I may give this a shot and see how it works out for me. I like the idea that $6.50 buys me a whole quart of "gun lube".

Been using Slip2000 for the past 6 years, hasn't let me down, hasn't gummed up any of my guns. I don't bother wiping it off, apply a few drops and let it eat. BCG's stay wet and happy, even after a nice range day with round counts approaching 1500 rounds. Carbon and fouling wipe off pretty easily too.

In a pinch, I'll use Mobil-1 without hesitation.

I use militec-1 family business pro vet, done right by me for years. It's not a solvent but does lube well.

Like said above, CLP has never failed. We used it exclusively when I was in the Navy from our M14s to our 50s. I kept using it on all my guns from bolt actions to my ARs and I never ever had any problem.

For those who have never used it, it isn't as obvious. But FireClean is a true CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant) in that it really does all 3, unlike the CLP we use in the military. You can use just about anything for a lubricant, hell you can use olive oil on a gun, I've seen it done. Motor oil, slip2000, miltec and all those others mentioned very well may work for you but at the end of the day you still have to clean the shit out of your weapon. With FireClean, all you need is a rag/paper towel and you can literally wipe your gun clean, and by clean I mean arms room inspection clean, in a matter of a few minutes and thats after seriously hard use and number of rounds fired. None of the other mentioned products out there can do the same and thats just one area where FireClean shines above all the rest. I know it sounds like snake oil but once you try it, you won't go back to anything else, it works that good.

Anyone ever use M-Pro7 LPX??? Dustin at JP got me on this Oil and i must say I like it.

Ben using it and the M-Pro7 cleaner as part of my cleaning system for the last 10 years. Never had a problem of any kind in summer or winter.

BR,

For those who have never used it, it isn't as obvious. But FireClean is a true CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant) in that it really does all 3, unlike the CLP we use in the military. You can use just about anything for a lubricant, hell you can use olive oil on a gun, I've seen it done. Motor oil, slip2000, miltec and all those others mentioned very well may work for you but at the end of the day you still have to clean the shit out of your weapon. With FireClean, all you need is a rag/paper towel and you can literally wipe your gun clean, and by clean I mean arms room inspection clean, in a matter of a few minutes and thats after seriously hard use and number of rounds fired. None of the other mentioned products out there can do the same and thats just one area where FireClean shines above all the rest. I know it sounds like snake oil but once you try it, you won't go back to anything else, it works that good.

Ran an experiment using fireclean.
    Kept my gun lubed with fireclean for 2k+ rounds and cleaned it with paper towels,Q-tips and a toothpick for the hard to reach areas.
    It came out spotless.

I use militec-1 family business pro vet, done right by me for years. It's not a solvent but does lube well.

I know it very well. They're based here in MD not more than 40 minutes away from me.

Won't use the stuff. MSP (Maryland State Police) WAS using it, emphasis on was. My 'smith can recount a lot of firsthand horror experiences with it. Of note, after 20-something years of off/on testing - it's NSN (National Stock Number) was revoked. Simply put, it worked great in automotive applications, but failed in weapons evaluations.

Not trying to sway your choices, if it works for you and you're happy with it's performance - rock on.

Just putting some information out there.

I use a dry film lubricant. That way, it is always there and does not attract dirt.
    Oil is a liquid. Liquids ALWAYS find the lowest point and pool there.
    However, if I am going to expose it to a high number of rounds, I do lube with oil. Usually some form of synthetic motor oil.

FWIW, I too, used CLP on many things from 1911's to M14's/M16's, M60's and M2's.
    I hate the shit. It IS a decent lube (especially the original formula with teflon). It sucks balls as a cleaner and is mediocre as a preservative, however, if you can only carry one thing with you, CLP is the way to go.

Last edited:
    I don't think any local places carry it and most haven't even heard of it. Checked a few lgs and bigger box stores too.

I ordered fireclean from them earlier in the week, should have it by next Tuesday. Alot longer than I would like but I guess I've just been spoiled by Amazon prime 2 day shipping!

I don't think any local places carry it and most haven't even heard of it. Checked a few lgs and bigger box stores too.

I ordered fireclean from them earlier in the week, should have it by next Tuesday. Alot longer than I would like but I guess I've just been spoiled by Amazon prime 2 day shipping!

Harris Tactical (Tucson) carries it and I believe SGC had it at one point.

Good old fashioned NyOil.

Everything runs like a scalded cat with this stuff. Even filthy dirty through thousands of rounds of 3 gun season and USPSA.

FYI, Fireclean also has an initial application procedure. It isn't complicated and does not require any heating. Basically you wipe off as much of whatever else you had applied to begin with and apply Fireclean. Allow to sit for a day, then wipe off again and reapply Fireclean. Thats pretty much it other than they have explicit instructions not to mix Fireclean with any other cleaning products or lubricants. I am currently running it in all of my rifles and handguns and have been for almost a year. Very pleased with the product.

I know it very well. They're based here in MD not more than 40 minutes away from me.

Won't use the stuff. MSP (Maryland State Police) WAS using it, emphasis on was. My 'smith can recount a lot of firsthand horror experiences with it. Of note, after 20-something years of off/on testing - it's NSN (National Stock Number) was revoked. Simply put, it worked great in automotive applications, but failed in weapons evaluations.

Not trying to sway your choices, if it works for you and you're happy with it's performance - rock on.

Meh.. That's what this place is all about varying opinions. I haven't lived in MD for a long time, so perhaps my former desert AORs and now desert homestead aren't testing the product to the right degree to cause failure. This year I'm doing a lot of pistol competency stuff with a few buddies and their spouses if it fails me it'll be this year for sure. Especially since I'm making pistol ammo 500-1000 pieces at a weekend.

Hell I just used Hornady one shoot and took my 226 to the range and ran 300 rounds through it no more than 12 hrs ago and it performed perfectly. The lube debate lives on.

Anyone ever use M-Pro7 LPX??? Dustin at JP got me on this Oil and i must say I like it.

I've used many different AR lubes and I have to second MPRO 7X, it has been the absolute best by a very long shot. That stuff seems to stick around regardless of how many rounds have been fired or how long the rifle has been stored.

I always thought froglube was bullshit.

Have been using the same little 4oz bottle of MPRO7 for years now. Just 3-4 drops is all it takes and it is very clean. Keep an aerosol can of CLP in my range bag for the rare occasions I do a carbine class or appleseed shoot. Easier to just spray a shot of oil in the ejection port rather than strip it and carefully apply drops of oil on the BCG.

Been using Slip2000 for the past 6 years, hasn't let me down, hasn't gummed up any of my guns. I don't bother wiping it off, apply a few drops and let it eat. BCG's stay wet and happy, even after a nice range day with round counts approaching 1500 rounds. Carbon and fouling wipe off pretty easily too.

In a pinch, I'll use Mobil-1 without hesitation.

+1 for Slip2000. And it smells good.

froglube and tw25b not that great?

I've used Froglube for a while now, and liked it. However, recently one of my rifles gummed in the rain. I can no longer recommend it, I'm using KG4 and Gun Butter again until I find something new.

Last edited:
    FYI, Fireclean also has an initial application procedure. It isn't complicated and does not require any heating. Basically you wipe off as much of whatever else you had applied to begin with and apply Fireclean. Allow to sit for a day, then wipe off again and reapply Fireclean. Thats pretty much it other than they have explicit instructions not to mix Fireclean with any other cleaning products or lubricants. I am currently running it in all of my rifles and handguns and have been for almost a year. Very pleased with the product.

This is spot on. I cannot stress how important it is to NOT USE OTHER PRODUCTS on your gun when you have FireClean on it. Using other products on a gun that has Fireclan on it will result in the other product gumming up or otherwise breaking down and then you will have issues. It's not that FireClean is a harsh chemical or anything like that, it is a Green bio safe product, but the way it works, carbon, moisture, other products will not adhere to the weapon parts and what ever short comings that other product has, will become apparent. Thats another great thing about FireClean, you don't need a cabinet full of cleaning solvents and oils to clean, lubricate and protect your weapon. Just one small bottle of Fireclean to do everything.

The other thing worth mentioning as I've seen people complain about it, is the size bottle it comes in. Yes, it's a small bottle compared to the other products. The difference is that you only need a few drops, Yes DROPS, to get the job done. You don't have to drench your weapon parts and it doesn't need to be dripping to be effective. If you have that much on the weapon, you've used too much. FireClean is very viscous and you can spread a few drops with your fingers over a large portion of your weapon. So that small bottle should last you a very long time as you are only using any where from 2-4 drops per weapon after a cleaning and or for lubrication on the firing line.

There NSN is alive and ticking was updated again this year, so idk man.

Here's there cage code:0KXE0

Then maybe there's something to it, I don't really give enough of a shit to keep constant tabs on things. Was either '11 or '12 that the NSN was rescinded, that was the last I looked into it. Know it works pretty well in some automotive applications.

I don't care if people use froglube, fireclean, pigshit, astro-glide or the tears of liberals to lube their own firearms. If it works for the end user and they're happy - more power to them.

I've not found any reason to use a lube other than motor oil. Have used other stuff before, but motor oil is cheap, easy to find, and works very well for all of my guns.

Shaeffer's 9000 Diesel oil on all my guns. Never any issues, ran a class session on one of my AR's of 900 or so rounds in 3 hours without any noticeable difference in the BCG movement from the first shot to the last. Nice to have a qt supply that lasts over a decade. I just keep filling up small squeeze bottle for all my packs and carry kits to maintain the hardware. Just my opinion and we all have our favorites.

Did you apply Frog Lube the correct way? If you did not clean all your older lube off first and then HEAT ALL METAL PARTS as warm as you can and then using a BRUSH APPLY Frog Lube Paste then it will not work as well. I have been using Frog Lube on all my guns and it works great.