• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

From a 700 to a ??

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    I have a rifle that has me in a debacle of keeping it or selling it. It is an older E prefix Remington 700 TWS rifle in 308 that at some point was upgraded with a Douglas premium barrel. Since owning it I ditched the factory Leupold that came with the kit, added a Seekins 20 MOA base, and had a bolt knob installed by Paul at PPR. I havnt had a chance to shoot it thanks to work..

My question is, with all the hype I have seen about Tikka and the custom actions, I am unsure if I want to hold onto it and try my hand at a precision rifle course/match, or sell it and jump to a custom build or go the Tikka route...it seems a lot of folks are straying away from the 700's but at what cost point? I will say I had both a Stiller Tac30 AW built by AO before, as well as a TL2 by Josh at PVA, and they both blew away the 700, so it would almost seem as if my mind is set but then again I have a rifle that would work as is?

What is the overall take on the matter? Would I gain anything, really, in selling it for a Tikka CTR, or even saving up for a custom such as the AO Renegade/having PVA or Longrifles build me a rifle off a TL3 or Mausingfield?

Last edited:
    So I have a rifle I am trying to sell in the PX. It is an older E prefix Remington 700 TWS rifle in 308 that at some point was upgraded with a Douglas premium barrel. Since owning it I ditched the factory Leupold that came with the kit, added a Seekins 20 MOA base, and had a bolt knob installed by Paul at PPR. I havnt had a chance to shoot it thanks to work..

My question is, with all the hype I have seen about Tikka and the custom actions, I am unsure if I want to hold onto it and try my hand at a precision rifle course/match, or sell it and jump to a custom build...it seems a lot of folks are straying away from the 700's but at what cost point? I will say I had both a Stiller Tac30 AW before, as well as a Tl2 by Bighorn and they both blew away the 700, so it almost seems my mind is set but then again I have a rifle that would work as is?

What is the overall take on the matter? Would I gain anything, really, in selling it and saving up for a custom such as the AO Renegade, or having PVA or Longrifles build me a rifle off a TL3 or Mausingfield?

So many option...would love to own them all. How does it shoot with the new barrel? If it shoots, keep it. If it doesn't dump it. I'm more inclined to spend money on good glass vs. a custom action. Seeing all the good reviews on the Tikka, I bought one. Haven't shot it yet to find out if it is on par. But, been thinking if it is a keeper, maybe stick a nice scope on it instead of my bargain basement scope I have now.