• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Front porch coyote kill

Scimitar

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2005
Pine Hall,North Carolina
We have been having some problems lately with the coyotes.
Main reason I got a dog was to give my girls a chance to get
back inside. Was doing yardwork about three weeks ago and saw
one of the sombitches eyeing my 7 yr oldgirl Natalie. Max
(half shephard mutt) and I saw him about the same time but I
know he smelled the thing way before. Damn thing had just his
head sticking through broomstraw eyeing us. Max didn't catch
him and I had a shovel. Oh well. Sunday mornin the misses were
getting ready for church and I was brushing my teeth. Saw a
blur in the bathroom mirror that came through a high window.
Ran out and grabbed my shorty AR and hit the front porch. He
stopped running in the pasture for a second at the sight of
me. I don't know if was fright or curiosity that slowed him.
Me in my underwear with a tooth brush hanging out of my mouth,
oh yeah and my AR. I threw up the gun and my rear sight was
folded down. He started to bolt and I popped off one anyway,
saw that I got him in the leg, folded the rear sight and
drilled him behind the head. If someone had been coming down
the driveway they would have laughed their ass off. I probably
looked more rabid than the coyote. I think two bunnies passed
out from shock.

Anyways, it was a funny string of luck and I sit and smile
thinking that may have been the one staring down my kid. Now
only 300-500 more to go
smile.gif

Coyote.jpg

Coyote2.jpg

Re: Front porch coyote kill

What a great way to start your week! I imagine those things could be bad news for a young child. Do they attack kids often?
We had a school teacher killed last winter by 3 wolves. She went out for a walk without a gun....

That's a great story for "RedNeck" Magazine right there accept for the toothbrush part. Lmao. Glad you got him.

I don't know if they attack kids often. We live 1/4 to 1/3 mile
off a secondary road. Nothing down there. I can't let my kids,
7 and 9, play outside by themselves. If they don't have Max with them they have me or my wife, or they stay inside. They got one of our small calfs. The mother stomp the shit of of the coyote but he still did his damage. Full grown he looks like Wolverine played him for a hour or so. Couldn't sell him, so we butchered and ate him.

They got wary of us with a call, and I am a good shot, but not a great hunter. The yotes are a lot smarter than I gave them credit for. They have just gotten bolder in the last 6 months or so. I can't get them close with a call but the really scary part to me is that a crying baby, my brothers son, called in about 7 yotes into the backyard during daytime hours. One reason to always have a gun on you. Brings me back to something I saw in the motivational thread. "You always miss 100% of the shots that you don't take!:

Outstanding!

The last one I killed was in similar fashion, underwear running out of the bed with the woman hollering there a Yote in the yard.

I have a bunch of them and am very unsuccessful at killing them also, unless they do something stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scimitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He stopped running in the pasture for a second at the sight of me. I don't know if was fright or curiosity that slowed him. </div></div>

He probably couldn't believe the sight of you in your tighty-whitey's...
wink.gif

Good shooting and keep those kids close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a great story for "RedNeck" Magazine right there accept for the toothbrush part. Lmao. Glad you got him. </div></div>

Stealth_ he said toothbrush not teeth brush.....he will fit right in with us hillbillies
wink.gif

brilliant story
smile.gif

have a rash of them around here as well...Id be in trouble for leaving a 223 off in my yard though....

One good thing about my location, I can take a whiz or shoot
a group off of mine. Could kill a boatload of deer or turkey
without leaving the house, just never done it. If the freezer
is full, I don't hunt, cept of course for predators. My wife
swears she saw a large cat (read mountain lion) in the field
where I planted black walnut trees. I saw a hulk slinking in
the grass aprox 200 yds away when I finally got my ass and my
rifle out there but it was in between me and my brothers place.
Couldn't risk the chance of a shot. By the time I got around a
clump of trees to get a safe departure angle
smile.gif
it was history.
I don't know what the laws are on the cats but if he's in my
yard (which is large) it endangers my family. period.

Teppo, damn near fell outta my chair, that was just funny

Good shooting Scimitar ..........even if you were in your underwear and foaming at the mouth !!!!

I've got a few around here that need to meet the same fate .

Future FYI:
if you give a LOUD agressive bark at them, at a high cyclic rate:WUF,WUFWUFWUF- 9 out of 10 times they will bow up and stop for a look, even if they were at a dead run. It gives you a 1.5-2 second shot window...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a great story for "RedNeck" Magazine right there accept for the toothbrush part. Lmao. Glad you got him. </div></div>
Sorry stealth, I would have to object to your opinion on this one. The TOOTHbrush was invented by rednecks. Didn't ya know? Otherwise it would be called a TEETHbrush.
Back to the original post... Good Shootin an thanks for not posing in your shooting garb
wink.gif

TLDcopy.jpg
[/img]

Chased this bugger down then shot em. He had a nice pelt on him so I wanted to get him home somehow. Gotta lotta looks, but I wasn't doing anything illegal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
TLDcopy.jpg
[/img]

Chased this bugger down then shot em. He had a nice pelt on him so I wanted to get him home somehow. Gotta lotta looks, but I wasn't doing anything illegal. </div></div>

You weren't doing anything illegal but you made all hunters look like jackasses.

Thanks.

jesus dude i agree on keeping for the pelt but put the friggin thing in a large garbage bag and put it in the back of that pos your driving not driping a fuckin blood trail all over town.your a complete moron for doing something like this.

Just because something isnt illegal, doesnt mean its smart. Actions such as this are the reason people on the fence about guns/hunting/shooting sports in general vote against them. Think next time, and give the animal some respect.

Yup, not right.

I was teaching my daughter how to call from my back porch. Next I knew a coyote came by the back fence looking for the party with a kind of a goofy look on his face.
I grabbed my rifle behind the door and touched one off. I wasn't as lucky as Scimitar as my bullet clipped a strand of barbed wire and hit at the coyote's feet. One LUCKY dude!
Nice story Scimitar.
BTW, you sold me a FN action a while back. It has taken me a while gathering the parts and getting it put together. It's finally done after having Randy Cain put it together. Purty nice rifle.