• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FSC30 brake question

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
Does a Primary Weapons System FSC30 brake need to be clocked?
It came with the rifle I traded for and I don't have the instructions.
If it isn't necessarily clocked what position should the openings be in- to the side?

Jim

Re: FSC30 brake question

It comes with a crush washer and after it makes contact you are supposed to crush it until the logo is facing straight up.

I may need a new crush washer. It was loose when I got the rifle- the previous owner had a suppressor on it. When I tightened it I don't remember the washer crushing.

Jim

Does the FSC30 come with a crush washer or a Peel washer?

I have a few of the FSC556QD mount/brakes that all came with peel washers.

But yes, to answer your question it does need to be clocked with the logo straight up.

I just read the installation instructions on their site. They don't use a crush or a peel washer. It comes with shims. I will check to be sure it's clocked with the wrench flats at 12 and 6 o'clock.

Jim

You need to do more than make the flats horizontal. The logo which is only on one flat needs to be up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to do more than make the flats horizontal. The logo which is only on one flat needs to be up. </div></div>

From what I learned looking through their website they don't use a crush washer but use shims instead. I need to see if the guy I got the rifle from included the shims. If not I will buy some.

Jim

I have their FSC556 and the shims they sent are larger than O.D of brake and barrel (.750) I used a crush washer.

They must have changed what they ship - when I bought an FSC556 a year or two ago it came with a peel washer. Those things are a pain in the ass.

I like the FSC556 a lot, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They must have changed what they ship - when I bought an FSC556 a year or two ago it came with a peel washer. Those things are a pain in the ass.

I like the FSC556 a lot, though. </div></div>

+1

Mine certainly came with a crush washer, but this was 2 years ago.

Mine came with a shim kit. It makes shooting the .308 like shooting 5.56.

You can use a crush washer if you are not going to use a suppressor.If you are going to use a suppressor you will need the shim kit to keep it from coming loose.

I finally managed to steal a few minutes to look at the comp again. I could not manage to turn the comp to where the logo was either on top or bottom.
I removed it and looked at the crush washer- I have never used one before. I think the guy I got the rifle from put it on backwards.
I turned the washer where the cupped face was facing the comp instead of the barrel. I managed to tighten the comp to the point that the logo faces down. The other flat is on top. I don't think it matter which flat faces up, but I knew the comp's "vents" should not be on top and bottom.

Am I correct, and the cupped face of the washer is towards the comp?

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I turned the washer where the cupped face was facing the comp instead of the barrel. I managed to tighten the comp to the point that the logo faces down. The other flat is on top. I don't think it matter which flat faces up, but I knew the comp's "vents" should not be on top and bottom.

Am I correct, and the cupped face of the washer is towards the comp?

Jim </div></div>

No, the logo'd flat needs to be facing up.

Take a close look, the top and bottom of the brake are differnt
PWS_FSC_30_L_3.jpg

Ok I will turn it until the logo is up. Since I just held the barrel with my hand while I turned the wrench I should be able to tighten it 90 degrees without overtorquing it. I only had to turn it 45 degrees to get it where the bottom flat was up.

Jim

I tried to turn it further but it seems to be at the limit of the washer's crush. I will just order a new washer. I have no real idea if this is a new washer or used.

Jim

You might try a peel washer, I've had no problems at all with mine

The YHM crush washer came in the mail today. I installed it and indexed the comp with no problems. I think the crush washer the previous owner included was used.

Thanks for the help,
Jim