• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ft/r ar build

lorenmese

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2012
pine city minnesota
what caliber for 300 to 500 yard ft/r competition .308 or .223

next should i get a 20 inch barrel or 24"

i know i am gonna go with direct inpingement

and i am going with a lmt sopmod stock

i need help on the rest

i realy want to have a cery competitive set up

Re: ft/r ar build

if you are wanting to shoot accurately out that far, go with the .308. I have shot FT/R with both calibers and I can tell you the .223 is cheaper to shoot but hard to compete with because you get pushed around by the wind a lot more. I am pretty decent at wind calls but where we shoot, wind comes and goes and changes up faster than you can read it and re read it. The .308 will allow more room for error on the shooters part.

20-24 in barrel is preferance.

I have shot both. Being a gas gun, I would run a 24 to get the velocity.

a 20" barrel is more ridged and can be arguably more accurate while the 24" barrel will give you more fps.

So the 20" barrel may have less flex but the 24" will help the bullet reach its destination with less elements to disrupt its point of impact.

If you are building an AR specifically to competitively shoot F-Class, don't. There are much better options.

How about a DTA SRS. I really wanted one, but I'm a lefty and the bull pup style rifle doesn't work great for lefties. Those rifles rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunterkid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant you get .5 moa out of an ar with a match barrel and trigger </div></div>I think that a bolt gun might accomplish it a little easier.

There's a little internet competition going on for reference...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3523625

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3652554&page=1

I'm using 6.5 Creedmoor in my AR. New to the competition thing. I enjoy the challenge. I enjoy the challenge of the rifle.

hunterkid, please attend a F-Class match and ask the shooters about their equipment before you build a rifle. If you are willing to listen, you will learn a lot.

You could also do a search in the F-T/R forum where this has been hashed out multiple times.

If the rifle is specifically being build for F-Class, as you said, I would do some research to see what works instead of just trying to reinvent the wheel. Individuality is great, but you aren't going to be the first or last to try using an AR for F-Class.

If this is going to be a multi-purpose rifle, go for it. Everyone should have an AR.

Hunterkid, Ryanjay sums it up very well, the AR is a great little platform, but for a dedicated FTR rifle shooting 223 or 308 there are better options if you want to be competitive. Take a look at the stock savage f class rifle, heat a good scope and go shoot.

what about eliseo tube guns with a 30 barrel and a borden action would that work better cause that will fit a short person like me and i can use the craddle bipod

it gas the look of the msr but a whole lot more accurate and i can have it painted in the 95 f150 ocean blue the color of my first truck so it should be the color of my first custom built gun

6mm BR. It'll run in a AR15 receiver; use a Berger hybrid 105gr and get a BC of .547. This will easily beat a 308 in speed and wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLDTYLRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6mm BR. It'll run in a AR15 receiver; use a Berger hybrid 105gr and get a BC of .547. This will easily beat a 308 in speed and wind. </div></div>

But it's not legal for F-T/R. A tube gun would be great, but you ought to get behind the rifle before you buy, if you can. There are some people who they just don't fit well. The rifle itself is only precise; it takes a good shooter with good rifle that works for them to be an accurate SYSTEM. Great rifle + bad shooter = bad results, great rifle + great shooter + bad fit = bad results still.

but if i camber a tube gun in 308 and it makes weight cant i still use it and i called eliseo and he said its legal and it would fit a 5 foot 2 inch person

I think there is some leg pulling going on. There is no way this is serious.

oh i am dead serious i am trying to find a gun and like the tube gun and talked it over and they said it could be done so since an ar is not competitive i am gonna go all out and try and make the most badass tubegun for f/tr i also called shops that make customs like diablo and they said it can be done so now i just have to save for a year and use tax returns