• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Full length sizing primed brass?

Shooter_308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
Long Island, New York
Hey all, just a quick question hoping y'all can help out. A friend of mine is moving and giving away a bunch of loading gear. He gave me ~50 once fired .308 lapua casings, a bunch of different heads (scenars, SMK, accubonds etc) and about 80 already loaded (once fired brass) hand loads. Now, they're all mixed up. Not sure on powder charges, case length etc so I was looking to pull the bullets and powder, resize the lapua cases and tailor them to my own loads (as we all know, don't shoot someone else handloads ;) ) Now would I be able to remove my decapping pin from my die, FL size and add powder/head? Or should I decap them as well? I figured I'd ask the pros as I've never gone this route before. Thanks in advance.

I have resized primed brass but don't like to do it. I was using a Lee die with an open top and had safety glasses on so if something went wrong it could vent out the top. I had no issues.

As you described a FL die (pin removed) should be fine. A bump die would work as well, since it's more likely the shoulder that would be too far forward than anything else that would prevent chambering.

Yes. Remove the bullets and powder. Then check to see if the cases are too long, just right, or not long enough. If too long, remove the decapping rod from your die and resize. You will need to lube the cases. Tumble after sizing to remove the lube. Fear not, tumbling will not detonate the primer. If just right or not long enough, recharge, seat new bullets and go to the range.

NOTE: Unless you are POSITIVE that you know what primers are in those cases, I would use a reduced charge and shoot only to fireform.

You can remove the primers with the decapping device in your sizing die, it is possible, but be very careful. If that primer fires, that tiny triangular metal piece will come flying out of the die. There is no telling where it will go. Even with safety glasses, you don't want that thing stuck in your face or chest.

If it were I, load and fireform and smile for you have 50 Lapau cases that you didn't have to buy or cap.

If your resizing and cleaning anyways use some water to soak the primers a while and push out gently with a decap die.
Shake out water, lube and size then clean them all.

Shouldn't be a problem.
I have had to resize on occasion if I drop a case and it is bunged up.
I resize without the decap pin anyway.

i've resized primed cases many times with the decapping pin removed with no problems.

Yes spray the outside with some silicon and resize away. Don't marinate your primers

With the Lee FS die the neck expander and decapping pin are one piece so I just leave it in. The Lee lube I use doesn't have to be removed by tumbling because it won't effect the powder. Even so I will still run a q-tip through the case after the primer is back in. I just lube the case, raise the ram to decap and size, put the primer in the installer and lower the ram. Primer is back in place and the case is ready to load. Never had any problems doing it this way. I have NEVER detonated a primer while reloading.

In case you're not aware the head is the part with the headstamp on it. Bullets are the pointy part that goes up front. Seems there are some yahoos out there who think its called a bullet head or a tip and its just a bullet....makes it a lot easier to converse with others when the right terms are used. Please don't take this as an insult because its not intended that way.

Its no big deal to resize primed cases. As noted pull the decapping pin. Not sure I'd want to run primed cases in the tumbler. Always a chance you'll get compound jammed into the flash hole. Once loaded with powder and a bullet you can run them in dry media in the tumbler to remove sizing lube.

Frank

Reactions: jwynne5227
In case you're not aware the head is the part with the headstamp on it. Bullets are the pointy part that goes up front. Seems there are some yahoos out there who think its called a bullet head or a tip and its just a bullet....makes it a lot easier to converse with others when the right terms are used. Please don't take this as an insult because its not intended that way.

Its no big deal to resize primed cases. As noted pull the decapping pin. Not sure I'd want to run primed cases in the tumbler. Always a chance you'll get compound jammed into the flash hole. Once loaded with powder and a bullet you can run them in dry media in the tumbler to remove sizing lube.

Frank

Spoken like a true Sergeant!