• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Functional Strength VS Getting BIG

Re: Functional Strength VS Getting BIG

I had a buddy who played at SMU during the same timespan I was at Houston. We kicked the crap out of them when I was there.

They're getting better with June Jones as the head coach. The fact of the matter is you will never be a national powerhouse while in conference USA. You HAVE to be in a BCS conference to get the recruits.

It's a catch-22 as they'll never grow to be the powerhouse they were because they don't have the recruits and they wont get the recruits because they're not the powerhouse they used to be.

Why can't SMU be the underdog and Boise State suck ass? Oh wait, Boise state got beat by Nevada...they do suck ass! hahahaha

Wade -

I'd be interested to hear your take on how TCU got to where they are, playing in pretty terrible conference obviously didn't help.

Josh

P.S. let's goo shoot some steel this week?

Bummer about the Texans game you were at last night- seriously disappointing.

You probably know more about TCU than I do... TCU has been conference jumping. I played them when we were both in CUSA, and they did a great job getting into the mountain west and now the big east.

My thoughts on why they've been so good- Patterson. He's figured out a way to recruit speed, add size through strength and conditioning, and runs a MEAN defense. Having money to afford Patterson and great facilities is good as well.

At the end of the day, a program will succeed with a good coach and enough money. Attendance, stadium capacity, tv audience, and traveling fan base is what gets you into better conferences. It's really gotta be the perfect storm, and TCU has it going right now.

I'll pull out the reloading equipment! Oh, the camera is (finally) supposed to get here thursday or friday. We'll have to review it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Additionally, it is possible to train both energy systems exclusively (aerobic and anaerobic, so you can run 5 miles aerobically, but not give up any of your fast twitch fibers that provide the absolute and explosive strength). </div></div>
OK
well, you train for explosion and agility, you know, your hardcore plyo's (powerbounds with weights, boxjumps, ladders, vertimax with weights, hill sprints) and run your five mile per day on top of that, i'll stick with my 450 bench 600 squat 400 hangcleans, and my plyos, and i quarantee, i will smoke ya when it comes to the "short burst" if its vertical, or 40, 60, or 100yd, its specifics man, you see a MLB pitcher run and bike miles a day in the off season, they need the stamina for the mound, they need no speed but on thier two seamer, then take a 5' 11 210lb running back who only needs a 5 second burst of power and speed every minute for a series, and his training regimen is nothin along the lines of a 5mile run or bike per day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Additionally, it is possible to train both energy systems exclusively (aerobic and anaerobic, so you can run 5 miles aerobically, but not give up any of your fast twitch fibers that provide the absolute and explosive strength). </div></div>
OK
well, you train for explosion and agility, you know, your hardcore plyo's (powerbounds with weights, boxjumps, ladders, vertimax with weights, hill sprints) and run your five mile per day on top of that, i'll stick with my 450 bench 600 squat 400 hangcleans, and my plyos, and i quarantee, i will smoke ya when it comes to the "short burst" if its vertical, or 40, 60, or 100yd, its specifics man, you see a MLB pitcher run and bike miles a day in the off season, they need the stamina for the mound, they need no speed but on thier two seamer, then take a 5' 11 210lb running back who only needs a 5 second burst of power and speed every minute for a series, and his training regimen is nothin along the lines of a 5mile run or bike per day.</div></div>

Impressive lifts!

Good luck beating me in any of the explosive tests you named. You've got me on all the lifts though.

Here's my pro-day numbers- all by NFL scouts:
6'1 3/4"
232 lbs
37.5" vertical
4.59 40
6.82 L drill
4.22 5-10-5
25 rep 225 lbs
9'10" standing broad

Back in high school, when I ran MORE long distance, I ran a 10.62 100m dash @ 200 lbs.

Still confident you've got me on all these listed above?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
OK
well, you train for explosion and agility, you know, your hardcore plyo's (powerbounds with weights, boxjumps, ladders, vertimax with weights, hill sprints) and run your five mile per day on top of that, i'll stick with my 450 bench 600 squat 400 hangcleans, and my plyos, and i quarantee, i will smoke ya when it comes to the "short burst" if its vertical, or 40, 60, or 100yd, its specifics man, you see a MLB pitcher run and bike miles a day in the off season, they need the stamina for the mound, they need no speed but on thier two seamer, then take a 5' 11 210lb running back who only needs a 5 second burst of power and speed every minute for a series, and his training regimen is nothin along the lines of a 5mile run or bike per day.</div></div>

Impressive lifts!

Good luck beating me in any of the explosive tests you named. You've got me on all the lifts though.

Here's my pro-day numbers- all by NFL scouts:
6'1 3/4"
232 lbs
37.5" vertical
4.59 40
6.82 L drill
4.22 5-10-5
25 rep 225 lbs
9'10" standing broad

Back in high school, when I ran MORE long distance, I ran a 10.62 100m dash @ 200 lbs.

Still confident you've got me on all these listed above? </div></div>
still confident buddy, i still hold the vert record 39.5 (far as i know), and 225 rep out with 35, fastest forty 4.55 (electronic, not handheld), and fastest 60yd for the twins, kc, and braves tryout was 6.59 (handheld not electronic), screw the L and broad jump. oh yeah weighin in @ 230 and 6'1, clocked @93mph off the mound, never did pitch, but was a 3 sport athlete @ a now D1 college.

Wow, you got me. Very impressive numbers.

So do you do any cardiovascular and aerobic work? Are you concerned about heart and lung health (I'm not implying, I'm asking). My doctor tells me I need more aerobic work. He's not your typical doctor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to play. I had some good numbers a long, long time ago too. </div></div>
Mike, lay em out on the table, i'm sure there are guys here who are bad asses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to play. I had some good numbers a long, long time ago too. </div></div>
Mike, lay em out on the table, i'm sure there are guys here who are bad asses.</div></div>

I'm not a bad ass by any stretch. I had respectable numbers many many moons ago but am far from being a bad ass. I'm going to use uhcoog's list.

6'6"
293 lbs
26" vertical
4.95 40
1.6 10
2.6 20
4.8 5-10-5
42 rep 225 lbs
10'6" standing broad

BTW, that was at a 12% BF.

Mike,
ANIMAL status... thats diesel as hell, man!!! sooo whats current stats, you still gotta throw some steel around eh???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,
ANIMAL status... thats diesel as hell, man!!! sooo whats current stats, you still gotta throw some steel around eh???</div></div>

Ironically my goal is not size or strength (now that I'm getting up there and the body doesn't like the heavy stuff) I'm really going for anaerobic endurance. My goal for the bench is to hit 50 and I'm doing squats and lunges with 225 as well. I really want to be able to do that all day rather than throw up big iron. (although I can hold my own). I'm more concerned with the joints and connective tissue more than size and strength. I still play some sports to stay "quick" plus run (a little) and swim.

Nothing impressive now by any means but I'd see a lot more guys below me than above me in the performance standpoint especially at my age and weight (still around 290).

Wow mike! That's a smokin 10 & 20 @290+! I've only known one 40+ repper coming out of college.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow mike! That's a smokin 10 & 20 @290+! I've only known one 40+ repper coming out of college. </div></div>

That's why I was a pulling guard. I really had a lot of explosive energy as I did A LOT of squats and power cleans. Plus when you're tall with long legs, getting to 10 yards is not that far of a stretch.

For me, a 1.6 10 meant a 4.6 40. So I was always aiming for a 1.5_.

just jerking ya'll chain a bit.

I still lift for power as I believe you need to build power to build bigger muscles , i have no idea what any of my runs are anymore though an assistant coach on my sons Pee-Wee team runs a 5.0-4.8 in the 40 and i can beat him by a step.

Last chest workout did 460 pounds three sets for 8 , 5 , 2 reps for all three sets on 15 deg incline. No shirt or wraps

Last leg workout did 495 pounds for four sets 13 , 9 , 5 , 3 no suit or knee wraps

last back workout did 80 pounded weighted pullups three sets 10 , 6 , 4 , 585 pound deadlift 3 sets 9 , 5 , 3 reps with only belt and wrist straps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well , I've got a 9" dick</div></div>

Well give it back, it's not yours! hahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, a 1.6 10 meant a 4.6 40. So I was always aiming for a 1.5_.</div></div>

That was one of my biggest frustrations is I didn't understand how I could lose that speed from 20-40 because if I didn't, I'd probably be carrying the ball rather than blocking for the guys that were.

But, it does take a lot of energy to keep that speed going so it was probably just a matter of running out of steam (not cardio but just physiologically)

Top end speed is a complicated beast. Teaching top end form, and getting it to "take", is one of the most difficult things to do.

I was lucky- Tom Tellez, who coached Leroy Burrell and Carl Lewis, still coaches professional track athletes at the UH facility. He helped me and a few other guys out with top end form.

im friends with LaRon Landry and had planned to do some speed and agility training with him during his off season this year but don't see it happening with his injury.

The Gym i train at is just starting a "Speed School" owned by Bill Stubbs and it looks intersting only problem is they are just sending their dipshit trainers through some class so they can teach it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Well give it back, it's not yours! hahahaha </div></div>

AAWWW , that wasent nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Well give it back, it's not yours! hahahaha </div></div>

AAWWW , that wasent nice</div></div>

No, but it was funny. I know your skin is thicker than that.

Maybe I was jealous because my dick is not 9"

MikeNo said:
yea it was funny , first thing i thought was "damn I can't believe i worded it like that"

Back on the topic of , their are alot of Cross Fit guys that train at my gym and they always throw out the "pound for pound" thing and how their training style is so much better because its "usefull" i'm not gonna dissagree with them but the idea that powerlifters and body builders don't have any functional strength is totaly false , granted their endurace probably isin't as good but for raw explosive power training with very heavy compound movements can't be beat

I go from strength training to crossfit and back again. I can usually gain about 20 lbs in about 4 months of straight weight lifting and eating like crazy, then drop about half of it on 2 months of crossfit without losing the strength I've gained. This has been working well for the past year. If I stick to one routine I plateau right away.