• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Funky marks on primers?

onesureshot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2007
Utah
I went shooting last week with a buddy that was using a POF piston rifle. He gave me a bunch of brass that he had fired that day. When I got home and was looking at them noticed the primers had a funky mark on them. As you can see in the pics, they have the normal dimple from the firing pin, but then there is a raised bump around it. I am guessing it is from the primer cup flowing back into the firing pin hole, but wanted to throw it out to get other input. I don't think it is a pressure issue, as the same ammo fired in his bolt action looks completely normal, and even the primers with the bump aren't flattened or anything like that.

Is this normal for piston ARs? Could this cause any problems? Or could this be indicative of something he needs to get checked out?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

DSCN1002.jpg

DSCN1001.jpg

Re: Funky marks on primers?

It's common in all kinds of rifles. Could be caused by high pressure or just a little over size firing pin hole.

Re: Funky marks on primers?

Looks like reverse striker flow to me. It is because the striker spring doesn't give enough energy to the primer to sustain the indent while the pressure rises and falls.
Replace the striker spring with a Wolf spring (preferrably a heavier one) and this should disappear.
I just had same identical stuff on a Rem 7615. I replaced the hammer spring and it went away immediately.