• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

daily_gifdump_4073_20.gif

I field dressed a mature bull for a client. When the guts dropped and rib cage exposed, his ribs were a mess. Over half were broken and rehealed. He had two major trauma scars that went deep into his chest. Years of fighting like this will do that.

Buffalo are incredible athletes as well. They can outrun quarter horses, walk across cattle guards, etc. A friend tried to catch a young cow on his four wheeler and she kept up with him when he maxed out at 65 mph.

• Wow
Reactions: 260284 and Lawless
They didn't carry their sabres, either. Dunno how much that would've mattered, but if it came down to hand-to-hand I'd rather have a few feet of sharp steel than an empty carbine.

Custer almost got the chop at the Battle of Washita under the same circumstances a few years before. He attacked an isolated camp while following a raiding party. If not for the cold weather and snow on the ground the 4000 Indians camped a few miles away might have decided to attack him. He used a ruse to scare them off but it barely worked.

The repeating rifles in the hands of the Sioux va the single shots of the US at Bighorn were decisive in that engagement. The Indians only had a few hundred of those rifles but they were shockingly effective in the initial exchanges.

You really have to walk the battlefield. Custer had no idea what he was doing and neither did the Indians.

The Gatling would definitely have made a difference once “the last stand” perimeter was created and the column collapsed into a fire sack.

But if you have never walked the battlefield, you don’t understand that it is not just a park with a smooth hill on it. All around are gully’s and streambeds and washes and high grass…. Perfect country for horses and cavalry. But very very bad for wheeled Gatling guns and the numerous limbers needed to feed them.

Little Bighorn Was not a planned battle for the Cavalry. They were in a patrol and a show of force and Custer intended to attack an encampment— an offensive deployment. Gatling guns were not offensive weapons. They were rampart and perimeter weapons. Cavalry technique was to ride in and form a skirmish line attacking the encampment or enemy force. Not set up Gatlings.

But, Custer became the defender after Reno stirred up the hornets nest. And Custer didn’t listen to his scouts about size of opposition or comprehend it their strong organization and motivation.

He has always been criticized for not bringing his Gatling guns. But a. It was not that kind of mission. b. Not only would they have slowed them down, they could not have maneuvered at all in that terrain. c. Custer failed at such an epic level that Gatlings were the least of his compounded errors.

The argument could probably have been made that if he brought them, be never would have ended up at Little Bighorn. Maybe true. But that is the thing about complex battle analysis. You can always find a couldda, wouldda, shouldsa and then pin the outcome on that. Trace the Butterfky effect back far enough and there is always some thing that folks pin the outcome on.

Actually, Custer screwups were mainly in his pre-battle Intel (he ignored it) and his assumptions about the enemy (size and capability and intentions). Once the battle started, he ran a fairly masterful defense.

The again, so did de Castries at Dien Bien Phu. And Heinriki and Student at Berlin. They just had no way to win against the numbers and force moving in on them.

But, yes, in the pocket defense at little big horn the Gatlings probably could have saved some troopers if they had enough ammo. But that like saying “If we had all our air cover up over Pearl Harbor, the Arizona would have been afloat today.” Yup. Probably. But that’s not how history rolled the dice that day.

Cheers, Sirhr

Ps. Go visit Little Bighorn. It is an amazing place in the middle of a lot of other amazing places!

On my phone so sorry to quote all your post. The target of the fight is the camp not the hills around it. The Spanish perfected how to attack a camp and many years before Custer had done this. Take cannon and Gatling guns and march as a unit. March to the camp in a square and bombard it. Maintain full fields of fire. Make the Indians attack the massed rifles and cannon or abandon the camp. A side team has to scatter the horses as well.

Well I did 5 jars. Sweet onion flavor. We’ll see in a few weeks how they are.

I did 18 jars total of various pickles today.

The sweet brown sugar red pepper pickles I cannot wait to try.

What cucumbers do you use to make your pickles and do you make dill pickles or something else?

What cucumbers do you use to make your pickles and do you make dill pickles or something else?
I use burpless for round pickles and short fat pickling cukes for spears.

I have not made dills this year. I make garlic sour, hot sour, hot sweet, sweet onion, salty sweet and 3 pepper.

I will make some dills soon.

Custer almost got the chop at the Battle of Washita under the same circumstances a few years before. He attacked an isolated camp while following a raiding party. If not for the cold weather and snow on the ground the 4000 Indians camped a few miles away might have decided to attack him. He used a ruse to scare them off but it barely worked.

The repeating rifles in the hands of the Sioux va the single shots of the US at Bighorn were decisive in that engagement. The Indians only had a few hundred of those rifles but they were shockingly effective in the initial exchanges.

You really have to walk the battlefield. Custer had no idea what he was doing and neither did the Indians.
I thought I read somewhere that the quartermaster had repeaters ready to be issued to Custer seventh cavalry although he would’ve had to delay marching a day or two so he decided to go with the rifles his Calvary already had although I thought he sent his aid de camp to the quartermaster to draw his rifle for the March………..

Yesterday’s pickin’ and picklin’ so far.

Any of y’all ever pickle zucchini or squash? Thinking about trying it.

View attachment 7903508View attachment 7903509
May I suggest https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17643/chocolate-zucchini-cake-iii/ with the larger zucchini. I usually do 1/4 cup dark chocolate powder and 1/2 cup regular chocolate powder. Mix the dry ingredients first then grate the zucchini. Incorporate the oil and eggs completely before adding grated zucchini.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lawless
Reactions: Lawless
I’ve been using a fat boy for about 3 years now.

Learned on it. Went from low to high on numbers.

Great shave. 100 blades lasts forever.
They’re just bulky but are a iconic model. The Slim Adjustable is arguably as good or better but the FB just looks so great and feels awesome in the hand.

If you’ve opened it up some and are comfortable, try to find a nice Super Speed Red Tip and see what you think.

They were the model sold to people who like a more aggressive razor. It is the one vintage razor I’d never sell. Mines a ‘57.

08CD0208-6E32-45D1-93CD-34A7BA78ABE9.jpeg