• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

Attachments

• bbActionGuadalcanal_kirishimaHits.jpg
    bbActionGuadalcanal_kirishimaHits.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: babyguppy
Nice that they had the time and material to waste on that seeing that there are fires 20 miles upwind of my place in BF East texas

Hopefully you have managed the fuels on your place.

Great training video to show fire crews what happens if they call a drop on themselves or flight crews what happens if they hit a structure or vehicle.

I spent a summer fighting fires. Most structures could be saved if the owners managed the fuels on their property right. But most just complain. And we have to sit on structures rather than actually contain the fire.

I presume you are in the Piney woods. You should keep the needles raked back 100 or more feet from your structures and have all brush cut back 200 feet. And check your house and barn to address some key things. And be prepared to drop trees around your place away from your house.

Most places in Texas have horrible fuel management. The worst is Austin. The city of Austin came very close to a major loss of life in 2011 - about the same time as the Bastrop Pines fire - during the 2011 drought. The west side of the city is an unbroken juniper canopy now.

Worse yet, juniper encroachment from Wichita Falls all the way down to Navasota and to the coast is now an unbroken 100 mile wide highway of fuel. Texas will soon have a massive fire outbreak that will dwarf all others.

And most of the landowners will moan about it rather than keep the fuels under control.

Attachments

• BastropfromHill-3.jpg
    BastropfromHill-3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 65
Great comments from my previous pictures so .....
Four more from my collecting. Some used in safety meetings, some not:

1. Crane oops, tubing lift.

Situation:

1659745175788.png

Result:

1659745424658.png

1659745529363.png

Operator received minor scratches on one leg

2. Always know your load height:

1659745829595.png

Semi load of caps:

1659745944505.png

Another crane oops, removing deck forms:

1659746135642.png

It's an interesting world, but let's always be careful out there.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Attachments

• 1659745378674.png
    1659745378674.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 47
Hopefully you have managed the fuels on your place.

Great training video to show fire crews what happens if they call a drop on themselves or flight crews what happens if they hit a structure or vehicle.

I spent a summer fighting fires. Most structures could be saved if the owners managed the fuels on their property right. But most just complain. And we have to sit on structures rather than actually contain the fire.

I presume you are in the Piney woods. You should keep the needles raked back 100 or more feet from your structures and have all brush cut back 200 feet. And check your house and barn to address some key things. And be prepared to drop trees around your place away from your house.

Most places in Texas have horrible fuel management. The worst is Austin. The city of Austin came very close to a major loss of life in 2011 - about the same time as the Bastrop Pines fire - during the 2011 drought. The west side of the city is an unbroken juniper canopy now.

Worse yet, juniper encroachment from Wichita Falls all the way down to Navasota and to the coast is now an unbroken 100 mile wide highway of fuel. Texas will soon have a massive fire outbreak that will dwarf all others.

And most of the landowners will moan about it rather than keep the fuels under control.
I come from fire country, we manage the fuels on our place in Texas. Were ready as we can be. The cedars / junipers are thick all around us, but not on our place. The fuel reduction grants are out there this year if your in Texas take advantage of it.

Reactions: Oldloser