• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

kayaks.jpg

Ok gents, for our farm now that we will be living there full time and beginning to add some animals....

Border Collie or Blue Heeler/Australian Cattle? Or?

I’d consider another GSD but they can go either way with the prey drive and need to be entertained and worked constantly.

Needs to be family friendly but have the desire to keep the critters in line and safe. 2 neighbors with property bordering mine have Blue Heelers, 2 are sort of into mischief while one seems to be a great dog. All three are super smart.

Border-Collie-ShutterStock.jpg

best-dog-food-for-blue-heelers.jpg

Last edited:
Ok gents, for our farm now that we will be living there full time and beginning to add some animals....

Border Collie or Blue Healer/Australian Cattle? Or?

I’d consider another GSD but they can go either way with the prey drive and need to be entertained and worked constantly.

Needs to be family friendly but have the desire to keep the critters in line and safe. 2 neighbors with property bordering mine have Blue Healers, 2 are sort of into mischief while one seems to be a great dog. All three are super smart.

we have maremmas (my avatar), italian shepards. great guardians but shit guard dogs. follow you wherever you go and hang out with you while you work. they bark to let us know there is someone coming down the driveway or passing the front of the property. the male (cross something else and maremma) ignores the cats while the female (pure maremma) hates the cats. they both respect the chickens, geese, kids (baby goats), lambs and sheep. you can have a rumble with the male and he doesn't mind. the female more stand-offish and is only good with the parents and myself, everyone else she doesn't really like or get close to unless instructed to. they require a lot of space so they are good farm dogs. no good in small spaces. they catapult into action, much like being releasing an arrow from a bow, at least that our female. the male is old and usually chills. once the male passes on i think i want to get one that is a bit more of a guard dog with the old man being almost deaf.

tv show here that did a bit on maremmas

Reactions: Lawless
For me hard pass on border collies. They must have something to do. There like having a 3yo on meth. I do love heelers. I'll get another one when I have time. A good alternative that is typically a bit easier going and somewhat similar to the heeler and border collie is a Australian Shepherd. We have had a few and would get one again. I do prefer the short hair of the heeler. I think the Aussies can take a bit of a more lax training approach than the heeler. The heeler you have to get some behaviors set from the beginning. Once there set there good.

I'd have to go with ACD. Most are pretty smart, but I've had/ been around a couple that were dumber than a bag of hammers :ROFLMAO:.
They can be a bit nippy when the herding drive kicks in.

I have what we call a Texas Heeler. Her mom was an Aussie and her dad was a blue heeler. She is wonderful and I believe got the best traits of the two breeds! She hasn't tried to herd my 7 month old son...yet.

Needs to be family friendly but have the desire to keep the critters in line and safe. 2 neighbors with property bordering mine have Blue Heelers, 2 are sort of into mischief while one seems to be a great dog. All three are super smart.

Border Collie

Great Pyrenees, hands down. Get two, they like to work as a team. I currently have a GSD and Malinois that live in the house and three Pyrenees who live outside full time guarding critters, haven’t lost a critter to a yote/Fox/coon since we’ve had them.

Reactions: Lawless and Sgt47
If you don't mind big, I'd also go for a Great Pyrenees. We had one when the kids were little and she was a great dog. She walked the kids to the bus every morning and would let them climb all over her; when she had enough, she was big enough to just shake them off. She was death to any predator that came around and a great watchdog. We lived on a secluded 40 acres of timber, with horses, cows goats, geese, chickens and six kids; she was a blessing to have around.

A funny story about the Pyrenees. We had the same UPS driver for years and he was used to the dog barking ferociously and charging his truck. He would slide open the door and she would jump in and he would pet her and give her a treat. One day, the dog and I were in the barn and I heard the UPS truck roll up. The dog took off barking and growling like usual and I didn't think anything about it. About 10 minutes later, I went to the house and saw the UPS truck was still there with my dog sitting up front. The substitute driver had opened the door, been greeted by what he thought was a vicious, 100+ lb, dog and locked himself in the back compartment. I guess the regular driver forgot to tell him about Buffy, or was having some fun with him.

Can't post my morning pics? I keep getting "server error"? It looks like others are having the same problem. Oh well, off to radiation.

I have heelers. They can hit hard but it takes a lot of time to get them (mine) to work the herd. When I had to load cattle my girl heeler drove them into the trailer and I could not have done it without her. But, I just can't get her to go round them up. She just wants to hit.

Very nice.
Good on you for a cool business!
This is a side gig for now, correct?
Or is it FT? Thought I remembered this was a start up and you still had a reg job.

Would be cool to get these to the US.
Yeah still a side thing, and a good hobby to have.
I've shipped my gear all over the world now, if you search for the coutdoor basics " channel in YouTube a d you will see a stellar review of one of my medium Alice Packs I sent to the guy in Scotland 😎

Reactions: powdahound76
Yeah, Im led to believe it is not long term (gone after days off) and been hearing this from a number of friends who still have to work around people.

lots of acne, strange marks, skin break down.
My friend moved to ME a few years ago and for the nurses and CNAs up there, she was sewing buttons on headbands so they wouldn't have to loop them behind their ears. folks were getting open sores on the back of their ears.
An RT here I work with did the same, but do a couple baseball hats.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I have to wear a mask for 4 hours, 3 times a week and my ears are taking a beating by the straps. I can't imagine what front line hospital staff are enduring. I don't care what the professionals are saying but I don't feel well after wearing a mask for any extended period. CO2 is my concern. I'm not a Doc, but I can't believe rebreathing CO2 is a good idea.

I have to wear a mask for 4 hours, 3 times a week and my ears are taking a beating by the straps. I can't imagine what front line hospital staff are enduring. I don't care what the professionals are saying but I don't feel well after wearing a mask for any extended period. CO2 is my concern. I'm not a Doc, but I can't believe rebreathing CO2 is a good idea.
I feel the same, emotionally I also feel myself get angry when I put one on and often have to tell myself to relax. Really don't like them. And I'm a guy that has spent thousands of hours on respirators and rebreathers of one type or another.

My company (myself included) have been wearing masks (n-95, blue paper, “Sheetrock” masks) depending on the department all day every day (except for break, lunch and bathroom) for decades...like the rest of the pharma industry

it’s really not that f-ing hard.

guys in the coating department wear the full face respirator (not pressurized) with filters for hours a day every day all year

these should stop posting pics and start putting the vaccine in people

My company (myself included) have been wearing masks (n-95, blue paper, “Sheetrock” masks) depending on the department all day every day (except for break, lunch and bathroom) for decades...like the rest of the pharma industry

it’s really not that f-ing hard.

guys in the coating department wear the full face respirator (not pressurized) with filters for hours a day every day all year

these should stop posting pics and start putting the vaccine in people

Try MOPP 4 in the desert...or any climate.

• Haha
Reactions: jrassy and Doc68