• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

a8772dbed5ef3ba393472799c0fd5fa5.jpg

My local news outlet had a story tonight that some are seeing them already in my area.
Yeah, they are starting to emerge here. Some people are reporting sightings here and there, but no noise reports. Any day now. Nights are still cold. Probably in a couple weeks. This time next month, we will all be deaf...
FB_IMG_1620538419862.jpg

We're seeing the holes in the ground in our front flower garden. No real noise yet, but by the look of things, it's going to be a loud Summer.

Ah, Cicadas.
{lemme put on my crusty ol' Veteran hat, here...} IN 1968, in I Corps, deep in the rain forest, west of Phu Bai, and east of the A Shau, the cicadas were of a specially heinous breed. Not much noise during the main part of the day, but as the late afternoon approached, after we had set up the perimeter, and put out the patrols and night ambushes, they began to tune up. From here and there, adding more and more as the late afternoon early evening went on, they would "wind up. "Skritch, skritch, skritch", a little at a time, very short burst, adding more and more bugs until the entire forest was resounding with that "wind-up" noise.
All timed together, all together VERY loud.
Then as it became a certain level of dark, just before full darkness, they all let go with one long keening drone. It was so loud, that you had to actually speak up to be heard, It was deafening.
Then with full darkness, suddenly, it stopped. The silence was almost like a negative thunderclap. Sudden quiet. Nothing moved, nothing made a sound. If it took you by surprise (a new guy who wasn't informed about the phenomenon) one could find themselves speaking at full voice.
A young LT, our FO, once wondered aloud, whether there was a correlation with those divisions of dusk, "nautical, civil and astronomical" , and the different stages of the bugs' noises. I don't know if he looked into it, or timed it, but it came to me later that perhaps he was right.

1621341552252.png

Yeah, they are starting to emerge here. Some people are reporting sightings here and there, but no noise reports. Any day now. Nights are still cold. Probably in a couple weeks. This time next month, we will all be deaf...
View attachment 7627895
I always hated as a kid riding my bike full speed, and out of nowhere WHAP! One of those fuckers would hit you in the head, felt like someone threw a rock.

I brought some cicada nymphs in this evening and one emerged early enough for my daughter to watch the whole thing before going to bed ❤
Some shots from that :View attachment 7628606View attachment 7628608View attachment 7628609View attachment 7628610
I was working outside DC when the last big cicada awakening occurred. One of the guys in the office went out and collected dozens of them, then fried them up with some spices and butter. They weren’t half bad. Bit nutty.

So was he, come to think of it. His nickname was “Puppy Killer.” Long story.

Sirhr

I'm probably the odd man out, but I actually love to hear the cicadas sing in each summer evening.
That said, we don't have those black, red-eyed devil bugs like you guys have in the east. Our cicadas are green, and bigger than those red-eyed mofos, you have, and we don't get them by the quadrillions either.
We also have cicada killer wasps here. Great big SOBs. You can always tell when a cicada gets captured by a cicada killer. You hear a loud SKREEEECH, then nothing.

5b57530918d1b.image.jpg

Reactions: BadDogPSD
I'm probably the odd man out, but I actually love to hear the cicadas sing in each summer evening.
That said, we don't have those black, red-eyed devil bugs like you guys have in the east. Our cicadas are green, and bigger than those red-eyed mofos, you have, and we don't get them by the quadrillions either.
We also have cicada killer wasps here. Great big SOBs. You can always tell when a cicada gets captured by a cicada killer. You hear a loud SKREEEECH, then nothing.

5b57530918d1b.image.jpg

We do have some large ones out here. Love the sound. One of these (Tibicen auletes) flew into my jacket one night and took 15 years off my lifespan.
Tibicen auletes.jpg

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka