• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

img_1_1641259657881-jpg.364507

I am going to try a tall mount. I have been seeing this trend for a while and it has progressed to a point of being very proven for dot wearing carbines. I have a big head (7-3/4 🤠) and have always had to crane my neck to get behind the dot. Interesting concept.

88EA978A-D581-47AF-A094-C384A5B86BA0.jpeg

Then the even higher Unity mount at 2.26”.

To try the concept out, my math says that for a optic with an absolute CW mount, you need a cheap 1/2” riser for 1.93 height or a .83” riser for 2.26 height. Both are readily available.

If I decide I like it, I’ll buy a dedicated mount.

Things progress…and sometimes come full circle in this case. Those guys running Aimpoints on carry handles back in the day were ahead of the curve.

Reactions: Longshot231
I believe you can still get his book for reasonable prices. It was still in print until at least the mid-70s.
Available much later than that and maybe still today.

However...it's a tough read. McGivern was an amazing shooter, but an awful writer.

I am going to try a tall mount. I have been seeing this trend for a while and it has progressed to a point of being very proven for dot wearing carbines. I have a big head (7-3/4 🤠) and have always had to crane my neck to get behind the dot. Interesting concept.

View attachment 7776151

To try the concept out, my math says that for a optic with an absolute CW mount, you need a cheap 1/2” riser for 1.93 height or a .83” riser for 2.26 height. Both are readily available.

Things progress…and sometimes come full circle in this case. Those guys running Aimpoints on carry handles back in the day were ahead of the curve.

Why is DJ Shipley pixelating his face? Like we don't know what he looks like and that he owns GBRS?

I went with 1.93" Scalarworks mounts and it makes passive NV shooting MUCH MUCH easier.

I went with 1.93" Scalarworks mounts and it makes passive NV shooting MUCH MUCH easier.
Did you find you liked it better for general use? My big mater has always made getting on the dot quickly a chore.

Did you find you liked it better for general use? My big mater has always made getting on the dot quickly a chore.
I would say yes. Like DJ said in those vidoes, you don't have to turtle your head down as much. I ran my SBR with the 1.93 at a Costa vehicle class in October with it and it did seem to be a little easier to get on the dot. Having said that, it took some getting used to because of years of smashing my face into the stock to align with a lower 1/3 mount.

I have a Flux Raider with a Holosum mounted more than 3" above the comb of the "brace" and it feels really comfortable to shoot as well.

Reactions: Lawless
I am going to order a 1/2” and .83” 3 slot riser and see which I like. Thanks brother.
I would say yes. Like DJ said in those vidoes, you don't have to turtle your head down as much. I ran my SBR with the 1.93 at a Costa vehicle class in October with it and it did seem to be a little easier to get on the dot. Having said that, it took some getting used to because of years of smashing my face into the stock to align with a lower 1/3 mount.

I have a Flux Raider with a Holosum mounted more than 3" above the comb of the "brace" and it feels really comfortable to shoot as well.

I am going to order a 1/2” and .83” 3 slot riser and see which I like. Thanks brother.
Happy to help! For some reason I could have sworn you mentioned living near me in a previous post so if anything feels good to help a "neighbor"

Well I was in the shop this afternoon working on a chain saw and my daughter’s BF walked in. He asked me for permission to marry my daughter. I asked him a few questions and then gave him my blessing. Boy is a real walking answer to prayer.

No freeloading

11F071E8-4221-48F0-8537-3902C15594FC.jpeg

View attachment 7776151

We used to use the KAC M110 ring riser rail 'blocks' and would put other mounts like the standard Aimpoint mount on top of it back in the mid 2000s at FB Cobra when things like this were being developed in the field primarily due to NV usage and the retarded way the .mil teaches it.

Stop doing math. Find the sweet spot in your shoulder/collar area where the tip of your stock would go when you're wearing armor and have a proper grip on the gun. Then stand like you were basically caught walking in a stride, with your weak foot forward. Square your torso as naturally as you can. Head up. Cant the red dot infront of your eye; my Aimpoint is at like 30 degrees. My head doesn't move. Neutral grip on gun with forward hand, pull back on grip with firing hand. Also a stock made for shooting with armor like the Magpul SLK is beneficial here.

Figure out where your index spot/sweet spot in the shoulder/collar area is, put the hold together and then you'll know where the optic needs to go. Another workaround is to just angle the RDS more inboard as well.

The way we figured this out translates directly to night shooting and changing absolutely nothing. The index/sweet spot premise when practiced, makes you faster as you keep the tip of the stock in that spot while firing, during reloads, malfunctions and most movement.

Cant the red dot infront of your eye; my Aimpoint is at like 30 degrees.
Could you explain this part a little more? You put the stock in the shoulder pocket and have your head in it’s natural upright position and ?

Could you explain this part a little more? You put the stock in the shoulder pocket and have your head in it’s natural upright position and ?

So instead of having your head straight and your gun/receiver straight - which wont work together at the same time. You have your stock in your index point but when you bring the gun up (mine is already canted in the high ready) you have the gun rotated inboard to where the RDS appears in front of your eye, rather than chasing it with your head/eye.

You also want to sight the gun in at this angle because the POA/POI will be different than if you sighted it in perfectly straight and then always shot with it canted.

So instead of having your head straight and your gun/receiver straight - which wont work together at the same time. You have your stock in your index point but when you bring the gun up (mine is already canted in the high ready) you have the gun rotated inboard to where the RDS appears in front of your eye, rather than chasing it with your head/eye.

You also want to sight the gun in at this angle because the POA/POI will be different than if you sighted it in perfectly straight and then always shot with it canted.
Got it. Thank you.

Reactions: SHEEPDOG1
I do enjoy the coral. Western sizzlin also gets high marks for low expectations. LOL ...Hows the saying go? "That which does not kill you...."
I founded and ran an after school program for at risk middle school boys back around 2008. I still consider it the best thing I have ever done.

I had “deals” with several places to feed the boys on Wednesday afternoons including pizza, a burger place and Golden Corral. Those kids got to stuff their face with anything/everything they wanted for $5 a head including drink. Manager was a great dude. Those boys were shown how to be polite and respectful while pigging out 😆

We were a donation only organization and people were so generous once they saw what we did. Several who came through our program have contacted me as adults and let me know how much our group of volunteers meant to them.

Went to a golden corral once, back in the mid 90's.

It's still there.

Also a shoney's once but they all shut down around here.

Reactions: BLEE
I do enjoy the coral. Western sizzlin also gets high marks for low expectations. LOL ...Hows the saying go? "That which does not kill you...."
30 years ago golden coral was pretty good. I moved to where there weren’t any. Saw one while traveling for work and went in. I was shocked and disappointed. No where near the same.

30 years ago golden coral was pretty good. I moved to where there weren’t any. Saw one while traveling for work and went in. I was shocked and disappointed. No where near the same.
It used to be you got a decent meal for a very good price during happy hour. Last time I was there the food was barely fair and the price at happy hour was ridiculous

Reactions: Redheeler